susanle
August 14, 2011 in Photo Questions
Technical question:

Is this type of door track system available for garage doors - with remote open/shut/lock capability - in existence? Or is this door application only for indoor use?
Reclaimed Lumber Products
We get this question a lot. From what we have seen this surface mounted track hardware is not best for modern garage door applications. There is a gap behind the door slab that allows for wind, rain, and potential security problems. You have to come up with a latch and lock which is rarely secure unless you want to do a track also embedded in the concrete below. You would be better going with the old style overhead carriage door openers. They can lift heavy doors.
April 26, 2012 at 11:19AM     
jennynenny
I like this look, great idea!
February 2, 2013 at 4:09PM   
jenpur
Realcarriagedoors.com sells them. They are expensive but look great. We just ordered some for our new home.
February 5, 2013 at 10:40AM     
susanle
Thank you all for the comments and helpful info. It has been several months, but spring is coming and I really appreciate the helpful direction re Realcarriagedoors.com and Rustica hardware. Good luck with the invention and adaptation that will enable these sorts of doors to work with garages! That would be a big boom to the garage door industry IMO because soo many of us are now turning to our garage space as "Man/woman caves" and all season rooms for parties, etc. Happy to be a guinea pig "first customer" here in Ohio if you wish! Thanks again everyone for the responses.
February 5, 2013 at 10:51AM   
jenpur
Update on real carriage doors : we had to install a concrete track and hardware to run the door in the track because it was warping. If I had it to do over I don't think I would go with that product, no matter how much I like the look. They ended up being very difficult to work with and very expensive. And the wooden doors will need lots of maintenance in our climate.
September 4, 2013 at 2:03PM     
Replacing front step
We need to replace our front step since it is cracked...
Patio dilemma!
We need to completely demo the raised section of our...
to paint or stain crowm molding
Our cabinets are a med oak color, I do not like the...
Need help finding where to buy this wallpaper!
Hello, I have looked seemingly everywhere for this...
Furniture Finishes and Choosing Sofa For My Living/Dining Room
Dear Houzz friends. I need help choosing finishes...