Need help coming up with media storage
Samphy E.
We have our TV mounted above our fireplace. (Sorry not pictured, but the TV is to the right side of couch). My problem is I don't have storage for our media/tv components. I've been looking for nighstands w/ doors to go on each side of couch, but I can't find anything affordable ($200 per nightstand). Right now components are in wicker ottoman. Suggestions?
These days we're more apt to try NOT to match things on each side of a sofa or a bed. So I think your table on the left of the sofa, as you face it, is fine. I'd put an Ikea piece like this on the other side. It may come in a dark finish. I'd also add a floor lamp. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50120547/
May 15, 2013 at 7:24pm   
Samphy E.
We do have a longer couch that is actually facing the TV.
May 15, 2013 at 7:24pm   
Samphy E.
Thanks Carolyn, I'm not tied to matching both; just saw a picture that I liked and thought it could work for this space. The problem is that we need something with cabinet doors since we have a 1 year old that will continuously mess with all the buttons. =/
May 15, 2013 at 7:27pm   
I don't know what size your components are or how this door latches, but perhaps if you don't install the door hardware, your adorable menace might not figure out how to open it. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/50250157/
May 15, 2013 at 7:33pm     
A coffee table would be helpful, and it's a great place for babies to learn to walk, holding on to the table as they walk around it. It would also allow an area that would distract attention from the components cabinet. Don't worry about mixing wood colors. It's done all the time these days. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00136678/
May 15, 2013 at 7:39pm     
olldroo
Carolyn, please don't suggest coffee tables for babies to learn to walk, I have seen too many lost teeth and other nasty facial injuries from this. My own daughter ripped half her nose off her face in such a fall. I'm so glad to see Samphy has an ottoman.

Samphy, I'm not sure what you mean by components ........... remotes??? If it is just that would you consider an attractive box placed on the shelf above the lounge in lieu of the single photo beside the plant.
May 15, 2013 at 7:49pm   
Thanks, olldroo. I was not aware of that hazard and am glad you let me know. I'm so sorry about your daughter getting hurt that way and hope that the damage was able to be repaired.
May 15, 2013 at 7:52pm   
olldroo
Unfortunately, Carolyn, I think there are lots of things you have to experience to make you more aware. Fortunately, they were able to stitch her nose back ok with just a hint of a scar you have to look for. I think I still have the scars from the shock of it all and how easily it happened.
May 15, 2013 at 8:01pm     
What I've always worried about most with kids has been glass topped coffee tables that have thin glass. They look like an accident waiting to happen. I'm glad to hear that your daughter was fixed up almost as good as new.
May 15, 2013 at 8:08pm   
olldroo
That thought just gives me shudders, Carolyn. I wouldn't even trust me around one. I do have one that was my mother's and it is made from safety glass, it doesn't break but shatters into little harmless balls.
May 15, 2013 at 8:23pm   
champcamp
We have a 19 month old and I understand the need to get things out of the way. After she almost broke our Nintendo Wii by pulling in over (it was on our hearth), we purchased a white two door Besta wall cabinet from IKEA (like this except two doors and no shelves http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/S29907351/) and we put it over our wall mounted TV. Because it's from IKEA, we were not afraid to drill a large hole in the side to neatly accommodate wires, and we picked glass door fronts so the Wii and Xbox controllers can be used when the doors are closed. We are very happy with it and it is a clean look that she cannot climb on or open up.
May 15, 2013 at 8:55pm   
Samphy E.
Thanks for the suggestions. However, I think a better picture would be more helpful. We have a lot of components including cable box, blue ray, modem, and av receiver. Carolyn the cabinet is too narrow to fit our receiver unfortunately.
May 15, 2013 at 10:55pm   
olldroo
With cost being an issue, you certainly do have a dilemma. I must say though, I love your room, it is so simple and neat, very much my style. Your ottoman doesn't have storage you could use does it? If the wicker ottoman is fine sizewise, maybe find an inexpensive table to go over the top of it so the little one can't access it. I know this doesn't make it convenient for you, but unfortunately that is life with a one year old and won't be forever - they just find other mischief to get into.
May 15, 2013 at 11:25pm   
champcamp
Here's a quick iPhone pic (apologies for the photo quality). Our TV looks a bit like a mirror in the daytime. :-) We have a wall of brick with fireplace, so we at first kept components on the hearth, but eventually our toddler got into them so everything went up into the IKEA cabinet. It's pretty spacious inside...we have an Xbox 360, Xbox Kinect, Roku, Wii U, plus controllers and charging stations in the cabinet. It also would hold most DVD players.
May 16, 2013 at 6:40am   
Need help with media room storage
I have a long, narrow media room. We are looking for...
Need help coming up with a topper for my outdoor firepit
We are creating an outdoor gas firepit...approx. 50"...
Need help on coming up with something....
Were buying a new house...well, an old house that needs...
Need help coming up with a completely new design for my kitchen!
I'm open to about any advice, but I will be keeping...
White painted kitchen needs a redo, help!
I need to know what the best paint type and finish...
Would you try temporary wallpaper?
Our office has been discussing the value of temporary...
Recommendations for garden planning software/programs?
I like using Homestyler for inside the house, but am...
Help with better use of space in my very long living room
I would like to the room to feel more spacious . We...
Countertop and backsplash
I need help choosing a countertop and backsplash. I...