Ideas for fireplace/ paint? stone veneer?
countrybaby215
Fireplace off center for starters and just unsightly . Needs a make over.
Rockin' Fine Finish
whats the decor going to be like on the inside?
May 15, 2013 at 7:36pm      Thanked by countrybaby215
Do you have a midcentury look going, a modern look, a traditional look? What is the rest of the house like - easy inexpensive option is to paint the brick - go look at younghouselove.com at john and sherry's first house / search all painted brick references. With it being off center, use a modern color - mid-tone gray, or a neutral beige but not white. Use a floating mantel and use the right hand side to hang the television at 25" above finish floor and hang some deeper closed shelving below to hold your componenets and bring in electricity. Or, if this is more formal, put a big fabulous piece of art centered on the rest of the space. If you want to clad it in real stone, that is also doable, but you'll want a slab for the hearth so price accordingly. You can clad it with plain finished faced plywood squares corner lag bolted into the masonry behind with evenly spaced grid and reveals - paint it gray first so it falls away behind. Look at code for combustible surfaces and use some wood plank tile to echo it around the face.
May 15, 2013 at 10:03pm        Thanked by countrybaby215
ManLand LandMan
Rip it out!
May 15, 2013 at 10:04pm   
osobaby
Definitely consider both your budget and the look you want before deciding on what to do with the fireplace. I would definitely not paint it though. While painting is easy and inexpensive it may be problematic in the future. If you ever want to remove the paint consider that it is extremely messy and time consuming to remove paint, think paint thinner and scrubbing brushes or power washing. Additionally while paint does change the aesthetic, it is more of a short term, quick solution that cheapens the look and does not add value. You're more likely to add value and a long term pleasing aesthetic by adding a veneer or replacing the brick.
May 15, 2013 at 10:46pm        Thanked by countrybaby215
Rockin' Fine Finish
If you are looking for a modern sleek look have it finished with a smooth concrete finish that you can leave in that color for a more industrial look or you can have it done in a concrete stain
May 15, 2013 at 10:51pm        Thanked by countrybaby215
osobaby
The concrete stain idea is a nice one if that will work on that particular brick. It could totally change the aesthetic while maintaining value and providing a high quality look.
May 15, 2013 at 10:54pm      Thanked by countrybaby215
countrybaby215
thanks for the quick responses. like alot of suggestions. the decor will be traditional/classic. also here is an updated image of the room. looks alittle better with the wall and paint. Any one else?
May 19, 2013 at 5:54pm   
Allison Burnfield McAteer
I ours looks like this. I'll take a Pict tomorrow. It is painted white. We have had no problems with it but we also only use of once a year and it burns gas. Even unused fireplaces around here are very desirable. I wouldn't rip it out. I wouldn't worry about removing the paint later. Most likely that is the next persons response.
May 19, 2013 at 6:55pm      Thanked by countrybaby215
countrybaby215
thanks
May 19, 2013 at 8:16pm   
Hi there - if you guys are traditional, go look at younghouselove.com and search the living / family room in their very first house. You can fill the opposite side with bookshelves - painting the brick is definitely the best way to make it work, but I would recommend against white for you - visually, try a soft tan or pale gray so it has visual weight and paint the mantel on it in the white of your trim. Good Luck!
May 19, 2013 at 8:37pm      Thanked by countrybaby215
Melbourne Decking
We recently put a stone veneer over an ugly brick fireplace. We used actual stone, but you can get the ledge stone tiles that are much easier and faster to put up. On the hearth we used a gloss tile to contrast.
May 19, 2013 at 9:04pm        Thanked by countrybaby215
smdrovetto
I think to make painting the brick work, you need to have a comprehensive design plan, because a big wall of painted white brick can sometimes be tricky to incorporate. Any paint can be tricky to make it look like a beautiful addition to your room, and not just an okay cover up.

You have to be very careful of the shade of white, etc, and if you don't like it, you then have to either do some kind of veneer, or repaint.....................which could be costly, and a mess, with sanding the cracks and crevices, etc.

I wonder if there is a way to distress brick, bleach it, etc, and use it that way, and possibly adding a wash, stain, or combo?

I would look at fireplace designs, or better if one of the designers here has any experience with that, and then spending money on architectural details, like a fireplace surround, mantel, shelves, lighting, a great painting, using wood to cover the bottom ledge.............................

There are so many materials you could do a surround out of, metal, wood, or a combination, The same with shelving, that would blend with your traditional style. And brick is very traditional, actually.

It could be gorgeous, and a real showpiece. My experience with camoflaging seems to be that I end up having to cover up something else............I've had better luck with trying to work more with what I have as much as possible, first. But definitely get advice before attempting it as a DYI.

My former boyfriend and I had a 70's NW style house that had a 20' ceiling with a fake boulder fireplace, that had been painted all the way up. It was revolting!

There was no way to cover those huge rocks, and one Sunday I couldn't stand it anymore, and he got a crowbar and tore it off.(Would hire someone next time.......messy, hard, and a little dangerous) We had carpenter redo the wall, added a substantial wood mantel, and had a marble surround and hearth put in. It COMPLETELY changed the look of the room, and was beautiful.
May 19, 2013 at 9:48pm      Thanked by countrybaby215
smdrovetto
Oh, I just noticed the two fireplaces above. The one on the left with the lighter brick is so much more appealing, with the softer colors.
May 19, 2013 at 9:51pm      Thanked by countrybaby215
smdrovetto
ALERT! ALERT! THERE IS ANOTHER DISCUSSION FROM 3 MONTHS AGO WITH A FIREPLACE ALMOST EXACTLY LIKE YOURS, WITH "AFTER" PHOTOS OF A WHITE WASH THAT LOOKS QUITE NICE! I'M NOT SURE HOW YOU SEARCH FOR THAT. THE TITLE IS "REMODEL FIREPLACE WITH WHITEWASH, ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS.....?" I BELIEVE. USERNAME: rubasaves
May 20, 2013 at 9:57pm      Thanked by countrybaby215
centurionstonemidwest
If you are looking for quality stone veneer for either interior or exterior projects check out www.CenturionStoneMidwest.com. They stock every stone in every color & pattern shown on their website to make it easy and quick to get the stone you want. Not only do they have a great product, but great customer service!
May 29, 2013 at 1:57pm      Thanked by countrybaby215
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
Dream Family Room for our Growing Family!
Hi everyone, We are nearing the end of two (very long!)...
Photo-realistic visuals and detailed 3D models in Los Angeles?! :)
We bought a new house in the Los Angeles area and would...
Kitchen backsplash horror
Not happy with how this backsplash turned out so much....
need help with kitchen backsplash
Brazilian cherry floor, maple cabinets, black galaxy...