Dream home but need to update bathroom..

Kiwi CatMay 15, 2013
This is an original one owner house in Carmel ca. We are going to be the 2nd owner. Built in 1981, everything is original. I want to take down the top lighting and add something nicer. I have a limited budget....some elbow grease. Any suggestions. I would like to frame out the mirror rather than adding to the landfill. Thanks!
calidesign
The counter tops and under mount sinks don't look like they are from the 80's. You have good basics here. I would remove the wallpaper, and paint the walls in a color that you like.
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:09PM
Kiwi Cat
I was going to take the light out and get an electrician to maybe mount some sconces on the mirror. I don't really like the oak, looks old fashion to me. Thinking about painting it an espresso....is that too bold? Expresso cabinets and light greyish green walls?
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:18PM
Nancy Walton
That would be a pretty combination, but I would also recommend getting rid of the mirror. If you are very careful taking it out, it will come in one piece (in each section), and you could advertise them on Craig's List as mirrors for an exercise or dance studio. I took out similar mirrors in my bathroom and hung framed mirrors above each sink with lights above each. It was amazing how much larger the room looks now.
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:29PM
Nancy Walton
Tried to download a picture but got bumped off line, so resending the photo...
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:31PM
Nancy Walton
Sorry about that
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:35PM
talxk8
Frame the mirrors as you said other wise you will end up with wall repairs. Recessed lights in ceiling (just getting rid of that fixture will make it feel so new!) Remove wall paper and paint your favorite color. Agree counters are newer than the 80's. Bamboo shade on the window. Consider changing faucets and drawer pulls if budget allows.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:42PM
Kiwi Cat
That is nice. The mirror has a 2 hidden med cabinet sections....do you know if it would be easy to remove?
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:44PM
Kiwi Cat
talxk8...like the bamboo shade idea.
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 10:47PM
Ed
Hi Nancy, about your mirror suggestion -- so the idea is instead of Kiwi's current 5 or 6 smaller mirrors, install one huge mirror (or two), and that would help the room feel much bigger ?
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:13PM
Different tangent here, I see an Asian oriental theme. I would keep the lights and the mirrors, change out the counter with either a wood or stone ( depending on what you want to pay), add two over counter low sinks, Ikea do some. Bamboo matchstick blinds over the mirror you don't want functional, and also hung over the walls as wall dressing.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:15PM
Ed
Hi Kiwi, your idea to replace the current lights and install some sconces is good -- and tal's idea of recessed lights is also very nice. For your scones, what style are you planning for them ? Traditional, transitional, modern, or something else ?
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:16PM
Nancy Walton
@ Ed, no, not one large mirror, see my photo, but I didn't realize she had recessed medecine cabs, so therefore it would mean a lot of drywall repair, not just patching, so yes,Kiwi, frame them out. Maybe consider changing out window with slightly larger acrylic block window, makes for wonderful light!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:21PM
Kiwi Cat
Ed. I tend to lean toward modern/asian. ASVInterior, I like the idea but sounds expensive. I really don't care for the current lighting. I would like an Asian theme.
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:25PM
Ed
Hi Nancy, thanks -- interesting concept. Could you explain the idea how 2 smaller (framed) mirrors would make the room feel bigger than with one single huge mirror (or, 2 huge mirrors ) ?
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:39PM
Ed
Hi Kiwi, I like your direction. :) I also second tal's suggestion on new cabinet hardware -- maybe brushed stainless steel ?
    Bookmark   May 15, 2013 at 11:40PM
Nancy Walton
Ed, I don't know how it worked, but maybe with more wall showing? I wish I had a before photo to show you, but it is amazing, the difference.
    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 12:03AM
Nancy Walton
Maybe it's the windows?
    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 12:04AM
Ed
Hi Nancy, yea, very interesting :)
    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 1:48AM
sinofaucet
Hi, Kiwi Cat, here have the similar decoration of bathroom with yours, you'll find more ideas.
Ideabook: Shop the Best Rated Bathroom Faucets of 2013 with the Lowest Money · See Ideabook

Good luck.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 2:04AM
Kiwi Cat
Nice bath room. I may need to get a bid for this. There is too much plumbing work for myself.
    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:06PM
Hi Kiwi Cat
It all depends what your budget is: But IKEA sinks are very good value (less than $100 each). However it does involve changing out faucets and top. I would bring in a plumber to look at costing the work so you get an idea of what is involved.
This is what I had in mind
modern master bathroom · More Info
    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:31PM
Kiwi Cat
That is very nice. Clean and modern. Do you think I can use the modern pulls with out painting the cabinets?
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 9:02PM
Indeed you can.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:05PM
47519296
yes I would frame the mirrors & take out the overhead lighting and change the colour of the window may be frame it as well depending on the look your going for
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:15PM
Virtus Design
You're very fortunate to have great basics in your bathroom especially being you're working with a limited budget. I am not opposed to the idea of keeping the current lighting though...maybe an idea to consider. Removing the wallpaper and painting will make a great difference. Good luck with your project!
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 5:52AM
Kiwi Cat
I never thought about keeping the previous lighting, I will consider that what I go there again. Maybe my initial reaction to it is too harsh.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:01PM
I had suggested keeping the original lighting as it reminiscent of an Asian them.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 9:38PM
Need a second bathroom and an updated laundry room for 60 yr old home.
We have just taken an 18 month old into custody and...
bettymahan
My new home has a 90s bathroom and I need to update it big time !
Bathroom needs... Soaker tub sep from shower. Large...
mboobyer
I need to update the bathrooms in an 1983 home.
The bathrooms in a home I just purchased are very outdated....
Sarah Stover
Turning this 70's tract house into dream home
John and Julie Howard bought their Carlsbad, California...
Marrokal Design & Remodeling
Want to update/repair my bathroom/laundry room in a historic home
The room is an addition to the original portion of...
monimoob
Wood floors sw Seasalt help me decorate my fixer upper
My husband and I are in the process of renovating a...
cindykuptz
Need help with my bathroom
I'm planning a bathroom remodel new cabinets, tub...
abc060569
Need help picking the backsplash for maple kitchen!
Hello, I had initially planned on painting my kitchen...
Remodel Junkie
Kitchen floor
Hello, my husband and I just bought our first house....
katerinalits
Help: Hardwood Floor Reco
We are doing a complete reno of our kitchen and downstairs...
narvesen
Sponsored Products
Lakeland Bath and Vanity
Lightology
Bradley 29" Wide Charcoal Art Glass Bathroom Light
Lamps Plus
Shower Curtain Artistic Gatsby Aqua Ombre Gold
$89.00 | DiaNoche
MTI Savoy Tub (65" x 34.25" x 31.5")
Modern Bathroom
Bath Mat: Accent Rug: Finest Luxury Black 22" x 60" Bathroom
$49.97 | Home Depot
Fresca 'Ottimo' 22-inch Double Towel Bar
Overstock.com