Trends or am I just unobservant?
sheriss
I'm seeing mirrored furniture and dining tables with different colored chairs. Are these fads? I hadn't noticed these until I moved and needed new things. I don't do fads/trends. Not on purpose anyway! I don have some mistakes I have to live with.
OnePlan
You don't have to follow trends - stick with the classics if that's what you feel comfortable with ! You can't go too wrong with simple classic styling ! ( and if you are feeling brave - try some fun coloured cushions or lamps etc)
May 16, 2013 at 6:47am   
Cindy Quinton
Agreed! Although I have seen some beautiful mirrored furniture, it is mostly "not for me." And I strongly dislike the mismatched chairs except in the most boho type homes. I certainly wouldn't walk in a furniture store and buy them. Though I sometimes cave in on trends in inexpensive ways, I tend to go with classic styles on more expensive items. And of course, we all have errr, ummm, an item or two that we regret purchasing.
May 16, 2013 at 6:56am     
Mona Ives
I wouldn't do a mirrored dining table - that is excessive! If you want to do a little mirror - think vanity, end table, etc. For a dining table, be classic with clean lines if you want a little more modern. The classics never go out of style.
May 16, 2013 at 7:26am   
sheriss
I didn't work my question correctly. Not considering a mirrored table. I do like the different colored chairs but don't hhave the nerve to actually do it.. I am suddenly seeing mirrored furniture but wondered if it's been around a long time and I missed it or if it's new. Thanks for answering
May 16, 2013 at 10:13am   
Mona Ives
No problem. Mirrored has been around for at least a couple of years. I don't think it's going anywhere but as I advised you before - I wouldn't do any large investments if you are afraid of being trendy. Different colored chairs is not for everyone - perhaps you can do one set of "head" chairs and another set of "side" chairs. That look is quite classic actually and may allow you the creativity without going too far out of your comfort zone. Hope that helps.
May 16, 2013 at 11:21am   
sheriss
I hadn't thoughtof just doing the two head chairs differently. Great idea. Thanks

I visit the same friends and relatives again and again. If they don't have new styles in their homes I never see anything new. Then when I do I don't know if it's new or been around for a while.
May 16, 2013 at 2:23pm   
0825sam
I associate mirrored furniture with art deco or Hollywood regency styles that have been around a long time. There are sometimes debates on here about popular vs. trendy. I think these styles are popular right now but I don't consider them to be "trendy" to the extent that has a negative connotation.
I think a mirrored console table could be nice for your dining room depending on your other choices. I am a fan of mirrored nightstands as well.
As someone said above, I think all mismatched chairs is definitely a "look" but I do love the head chairs being different. I like the look of a wingback head chair with simple side chairs.
May 16, 2013 at 2:35pm   
Margaret Phillips
I'm not sure if which year, but about seven years ago. An grand estate in Florida was being dismantled. Many grand pieces of furniture, artwork came up for auction. Highlighted were oversized grand mirrored pieces of furniture from the Art Deco period I believe. Tons of buzz was reverberating around the world about all the mirrored pieces. They were talked about in different publications everywhere. I saw them and was really intrigued. The following season you started seeing mirrored pieces being produced by many extremely high end limited production furniture designers. The flow of popularity and production trickles down to the more mainstream market. My thoughts are the mirrored pieces are being used in transitional designs. Very traditional designs but mirrored. I think the market will continue to embrace mirrored pieces for a long time. They are functional, and light reflecting. As for that estate in Florida they had their mirrored pieces displayed and functional for almost eighty years. It worked for them and I think it will continue to work for the masses as well.
May 16, 2013 at 3:50pm   
Builder shower dilemma!
We are purchasing a spec home that was already in progress....
Need Help with Exterior. No Curb Appeal
We love our little lake place but are planning on adding...
POLL: Stained Glass - Love it or Leave it?
Do you love the look of stained glass and have or want...
Is it much too red?
I wanted red and pink to be the main color of our place. I...
Cottage in need of Curb Appeal - front facing fireplace help!
We have a nice little cottage that we have been working...