need help with color of countertops
mumzeeMay 16, 2013
We are doing a kitched remodel. Our walls and backsplash will be red brick with white grouting. Our floors will be a whitwashed (gray) vintage wood planks and we will have a gray reclaimed-wood sliding barn door. Our cabinets are white along with white floating shelves. What color should my counter tops be? Black, white or gray???? Material will probably be quartz.
I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks! Nikki
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
PRO
karen paul interiors
I would introduce yet another color that is warm and that will combine with your brick, white and gray. I recently installed the Pental St. Laurent Quartz and it is terrific at blending with other colors. It's a brown/gray and has just enough depth to it, as well as the white veining.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 10:54AM
PRO
Stoneshop
I really like the St. Laurent suggestion given by karen paul interiors. Another idea that I think would look great against the red brick is Caesarstone's Frosty Carrina or Pental's Lattice.
    Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 11:21AM
mumzee
Thanks Karen Paul Interiors and Stoneshop! All three are great ideas that i will look into. Any ideas on the black, which i thought looks good against the brick? I don't want to darken the kitched too much though. White may brighten it. Thanks!
    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 10:42AM
PRO
Granite Grannies
I would encourage you to look at natural stones. Brick looks so good with a real material. Have you looked at leathered stones? A Leathered Antique Brown or Absolute Black would look great with a brick. Here's a project we did recently with brick backsplash and a dark granite with black,gray, and deep green: Carnival Granite and Pine Cabinets 1
Carnival Granite and Pine Cabinets 2
Carnival Granite and Pine Cabinets 3

If you do go with a quartz, I vote black.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 11:19AM
PRO
JDM Countertops, Inc.
I agree with Granite Grannies that you may want to consider a natural material. Quartz manufacturers are doing a good job at offering a variety of looks, colors, and even textures, but with all the warmth and rustic feel that it sounds like you have, a natural material might fit in better. Engineered quartz tends to fit in better to modern, contemporary, and clean, minimalist applications.

I like the idea of a honed or antiqued finish too. Even if you do a quartz there are manufacturers that offer honed finishes such as Casearstone.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 11:42AM
mumzee
I'm trying to attach my mother in laws kitched which is where i got my inspiration.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 12:16PM
mumzee
I'm thinking the natural stone may be too busy. She has both baker's marble and black quartz.
    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 12:17PM
PRO
NEFF of Chicago Custom Cabinetry and Design Studio
Hi Mumzee - It really depends on what you want the focal point of your kitchen to be.

If the brick is really bright red and the white grouting is a contrast and you want it for a focal point, then a white countertop that matches your cabinetry might be perfect.

If it's a more subtle light orange like "Granite Grannie's" #3 photo, then I really like the idea of honed gray.

We spec alot of Silestone Quartz. This page shows you their colors by hue. http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/silestone-hue.cfm You might consider the Altair or Cygnus if your cabinetry has a traditional profile door, or the Carbono if it's a more contemporary flat door.

If you have an island, or a really big range, then those will probably be your focal points and you could do white / light gray on the perimeter and the darker gray on the island. Blanco River, Lagoon and the leather (honed) version of River North would be good options.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 12:41PM
PRO
NEFF of Chicago Custom Cabinetry and Design Studio
Oops - I meant White North, not River North.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 12:47PM
PRO
Stoneshop
What beautiful inspiration, mumzee!

If her quartz perimeter is a solid black, Black Absolute granite will give you the same look for a fraction of the cost (at least that's how the pricing tends to work in our Philadelphia metro area). You can get Black Absolute in a polished or honed finish.

For the island, if you don't want to go with natural marble, White Macaubas quartzite (which is a natural material) will give you a similar look.
[houzz=
]
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 9:33AM
mumzee
Thanks stoneshop! I think I saw samples of the pental's? They have both white and black colors to choose from. I'm assuming It is a good product and reasonably priced? I don't want too get into bakers marble. Too expensive and I want something stronger and more resistant. I'm leaning toward a White Island with black on the back counter.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:42AM
PRO
Stoneshop
You're welcome, mumzee! Yes, Pental does have both light and dark marble-look options to choose from. They are one of the least expensive quartz manufacturers (at least out of your most popular companies). In our area, most quartz materials will be more expensive than a Carrara marble--so it depends on which type of marble you are considering. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress!
    Bookmark   May 23, 2013 at 1:17PM