Help with kitchen cabinets/floors...
Ashley Shaw
So we just purchased a new place that needs some upgrading. The kitchen has decent black/grey/white/greenish granite counters and a newly done backsplash in grey mini subway tile (see pics). But I want new cabinet doors, and a new floor. I'm thinking of using slate or slate look floor tiles, either in charcoal or in a grey/green mottled pattern. But I can't decide on cabinets.... the kitchen is open to the LR/DR and our furniture in there is dark wood, but dark wood in the kitchen with all the grey would look quite dark. So do I choose a different lighter wood? Or do I go white? I'd love to hear opinions, and thanks for your thoughts!
Purcell Quality, Inc.
Hi Ashley! Do you like the contemporary style of the cabinets? I think with a new fresh paint job they could look great. Maybe something whiter, more along the lines of the floor color. Also of course paint the wall to match.

You mentioned replacing the flooring as well... this project is begining to get expensive now. Would you just re-face the exisiting cabinetry? A lot of options here!

Congrats!
May 16, 2013 at 12:14pm   
Ashley Shaw
Thanks! I'm not a huge fan of the very contemporary style, and they're also really cheap - the light colour is like a laminate veneer (sorry, don't know technical terms) and I can see it peeling in the future, so we would like to do a full reface. I really like the style (and the wood) in this:
, but I'm not sure if it would be too dark.

And yes, we are doing floors, which does get the cost up, but that is in our budget. The easily changeable things like paint colours will wait till after we've decided on these bigger items.
May 16, 2013 at 12:18pm   
Purcell Quality, Inc.
Well if the cabinets are cheap, I agree, get rid of them! I dont think this style of kitchen would be too dark, I think it would work for your new home!
May 16, 2013 at 12:40pm   
Do I use these chairs?
I have a completely empty dining room - I had been...
A trend that should end
Are there any interior design trends at the moment...
What color should we paint our two front double doors?
The shutters and double doors are now black. We would...
Does anyone know the name of these pavers??
I need to match these pavers.Does anyone know the name/design...