What type of arches should I use?
luciloo
The front of the house we are building has two porches. The front door porch has a single roman arch and the other front porch attached to the portico has two arches. The portico has an elliptical arch. Should the porch attached to the portico have roman arches or elliptical arches? Not sure which way to go. All arches are on the front of house.
HERE Design and Architecture
This is an aesthetic issue and I think we would need to see pictures in order to comment.
May 16, 2013 at 2:06pm   
luciloo
The porch already has arches but because they are not even, I have the option to change and match the front door (witch will be a Roman arch) Thank you so much for providing your input. I rally do appreciate it.
May 16, 2013 at 7:39pm   
HERE Design and Architecture
I see - you have a lot going on there. One issue with roman arches that are different widths is that they are going to have either different springlines or different apexes - choose one. So, it looks like you can have three of the same arch there if you fill in the space in between them. Not sure I completely understand the aesthetic you are going for here - arches are usually in structure that is made to look massive and the elliptical arched area seems pretty delicate?
May 16, 2013 at 7:59pm   
luciloo
The framers are going to make sure that the arches are even and the same widths. They are going to fix them tomorrow. The portico is supposed to be an elliptical so it doesn't look like a tunnel. To be honest, I really don't know what my aesthetic is at this point. I am little overwhelmed. I appreciate any input.
May 16, 2013 at 8:54pm   
luciloo
After thinking about it, I guess the aesthetic we are trying to go for is European??? From a design perspective, should the arches match the front door roman arch to make the house look more unified or the portico elliptical since it's right next to it. The front door is a wooden, rounded top door to parallel the roman arch in front of it. Thank you for your advice. It is greatly appreciated.
May 17, 2013 at 3:53am   
HERE Design and Architecture
Without being able to see the elevations, I think roman arches, all the same size, would make the most sense. What does your architect say?
May 17, 2013 at 6:57am   
Young and Borlik Architects, inc.
A full roman style arch is going to lower your springline quite a bit. Either could be correct, but I agree with the idea that they should be consistent. Depending on the style in the end, you can go either way. For what it's worth (little) I would prefer the arches from the photo (elliptical). A hard edge at the spring of the arch defines a horizontal that seems to work well with the elements of this elevation, and provides increased openness for the porches, more sun, view, etc. I'd worry that full half-round arches will close down the porch too much, and create a feeling of a shorter space.
May 17, 2013 at 7:20am   
luciloo
The architect drew elliptical arches in the original plan but does not have a preference. I appreciate all the professional advice. It rained today so I still have one more day to think about it.
May 17, 2013 at 7:19pm   
Glass Shelf Nook
Looking for ways to update the nooks on either side...
Color Selection for accent wall
My 4 year old daughter has asked for a "rainbow" room,...
Mirror Help
I need help accenting a unique chest. I bought a mirror...
Exterior Colors
My parents just put on a new metal roof in "buckskin"...