Cork Floor in Kitchen: Install under appliances or not?
winniegirl
We've chosen cork for the kitchen remodel (after linoleum sticker shock). This a floating floor using click tiles and it's recommended that the cabinets go in first and then flooring. But we've received different recommendations about the appliances.

Since cork is soft, over time the appliances would sink slightly. One installer advised to build up the subfloor and place appliances directly on that. With that method, you'll see the subfloor underneath. A different installer said it's no problem to put the appliances on the cork, but to just use furniture protectors on the feet to disperse the weight. I'm wondering how to slide out the fridge without damaging the floor when I feel the urge to clean behind it every 17 years ( just a joke!)
Anyone ideas?? Thanks so much!
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I am going to bump this up hoping some of the flooring folks will see it. I certainly would prefer to see the cork under the appliances. Not sure what the thickness of your flooring is, but make sure the cabinets are raised the same amount as the thickness of the floor (by putting plywood or something similar under them) so that the dishwasher does not get "trapped" once the countertop is on.
May 19, 2013 at 12:49PM   
Please help me create a romantic bedroom!
I saw this quilt in the PB store, fell in love with...
Want a new paint colour for living room
I just painted my dining room and now my living room...
New, but narrow walk-in master closet help?
We have remodeled our master area to reconfigure an...
Ceiling question
I put on an addition to my house (new sunroom and extension...
Please help,, painted the cabinets white, now unhappy with wall color!
I recently had the kitchen cabinets relaxed to off...