Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_quinton

Exterior suggestions

Cindy Quinton
10 years ago
It is foggy today, so I may have to repost when the sun burns off the fog. The first pic is what the house looked like when we bought it. I have removed the (awful!) awning, and replaced the lights on either side of the entryway with bigger ones. I have the matching light for the garage; it just isn't up yet (as I impatiently tap my fingers in my hubby's direction). I have spent so much inside, that my budget is sad at the moment. I would love to hear suggestions, especially ones that are low cost. Landscaping (low cost and low maintenance)? Garage doors...paint? Shutters? Ideas, please. I also don't mind hearing more expensive ideas for the future; I would love decorative copper awnings and guttering!

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    New carriage house doors for the garage would be nice in glossy black
  • PRO
    Budget My Build
    10 years ago
    Since you have a budget in mind, I would suggest finding a company like mine with online estimating software http://budgetmybuild.co in your area (we're located in AZ, most people here don't even know what fog is). It would help you shop around for contractors in your area while keeping your building budget in mind!
  • hparks74
    10 years ago
    There is a guy In our neighborhood that painted his gutters copper using auto paint. They look awesome. I think I do the dormers in a cedar shake. If you don't change your garage doors find a finisher that could put faux windows in. You could place frosted or tinted black plexiglass to make it appear like windows. I also add flower boxes under the bottom windows.
  • hparks74
    10 years ago
    I'd also look into sealing the drive and staining the concrete. Staining it a mid brown would help conceal the cracks.
  • PRO
    Kaplan Architects, AIA
    10 years ago
    I would add some taller shrubs up against the house under the windows. I think consultation with a local landscape designer would be a great idea.
  • PRO
    Alexander's Stone Art
    10 years ago
    Looks like it could use a combination of stone light posts and planting areas to bring color. Im not a designer or Architect , just a tradesman's opinion. :)
  • Cindy Quinton
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I guess the dormers do look odd and plain from the front of the house, but the back and sides of the house are stuccoed, as the dormers. It has four brick light posts on each side of the driveway entries, they are just behind me. I'm thinking about just painting the garage doors and adding inexpensive carriage door hardware (and maybe even a window kit?), until I can afford to do exactly as Rockin' Fine Finish and get some nice doors. I like the idea of staining the drive. I am adding landscaping as soon as I can do it right, at least the beds in front of the windows. I know the common wisdom is not to put shutters on for decoration that wouldn't actually cover the windows, but what about board and batten shutters in the same color I paint the garage doors? If so which windows?
  • Terri Brodfuehrer
    10 years ago
    Cindy.. just my opinion here, I think for now, with a limited budget, you should take pics of how it looks now and go to your local, established nursery. Show them the pics and see what they have available for year round color (shrubs that change color with the seasons, etc.), I think some pottery with tall plants near the door, either symmetrical or asymmetrical would be nice, under the windows, and something in the corner (if that's just a regular bush remove it), that would have a pop of color.. you need some color to add visual appeal, and some pottery or something to draw the eye along like it would a painting..
    And, perhaps some solar lights along the driveway and or under the window? I have the wired kind and get compliments often. You might even go to Lowes and grab a few magazines for outdoor decorating and see if you find anything that flips your switch lol.. yanno, grabs you? Lowes may know more about new trends in window shutters or adornments that might really grab you. good luck! let us know what you decide and bring after photos!!!
  • Terri Brodfuehrer
    10 years ago
    oops.. long day here.. sorry, I didn't see the added photos where the bush in the corner is gone, so never mind lol. looks much better without it, but still needs texture and color, I think.. something to break up all the lines?
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Cindy, You need to consider some sort of pediment detail, to create a sense of entry that you don't have. Stylistically, you have a hipped roof and the arched roof over the entry--reflect that. Here are options, the curve works best I believe. If that is too much money, for the moment put a potted dwarf English laurel on both sides.
  • traditionalguy467
    10 years ago
    Hi Cindy,

Congratulations on your new home! I love the changes you have already made. The home has an English country feel to me, and I think the various angles of the hip roof are striking. The only windows that I can see, that would tolerate shutters, would be what I presume is the living room window, to the left of the entrance, and possibly the white stuccoed dormer on the left side of the house. I assume the garage has a window, and if it faces the street, and has enough room on either side, this would be an option as well. One caveat though, it needs to be more of a traditional window, such as the living room window, if a modern application was put on, such as an arch window, with a modern design, than it would look odd. As your dream evolves, consider putting stone pavers atop the current driveway, this would continue the English country theme. Also, when the budget allows, I personally would put on solid wood, indented panel garage doors. Front entrance door or doors, should be wood as well. This would carry the understated elegant period look of the English estate. For now, I think painting them in a dark brown, or deep slate blue, or even a creamier color against the used brick, would make a vast improvement. Lastly, landscape done correctly, can make a world of difference. I would go simple with the design. Consider a small boxwood hedge under the living room window, with perhaps some roses behind the boxwood. In the area directly below the long narrow window, I would plant a trailing vine. One, it would offset this unusual window configuration, and two, it would provide a grounded, time evolved look, so indigenous to the original English country estate. I might plant it in the planter to the right of the entrance, and to the left of the first garage door, to achieve the desired look there as well. Cindy, Google the English country home and English country gardens for inspiration. Your home is beautiful, and I look forward to future pictures as the dream evolves. The best!
  • Cindy Quinton
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Love the ideas! The big window is actually the master bedroom, because the home is laid out with the living area to the back to take advantage of the spectacular hilltop view down the valley all the way to the Tulsa skyline. The front door is a wood door, but of the 80's vintage, I'd love to do a solid wood one with iron bars over a speakeasy and decorative clavos. I've thought it might be more cost effective to stain the drive, and then simply widen the look of it a bit with a couple of rows of pavers. So, does anyone think simple board and batten shutters on the windows mentioned, that are painted the same new color as I would paint the garage doors would be a plus? I just really can't imagine anything looking right except some shade of brown? I have several things closing soon and will apply some of that to landscaping, although I am AFRAID of my propensity to kill plants. I've heard double knockout roses are tougher than the average bushes, is that true? I've mostly been spending money changing the kitchen from the 80's blue tile to painted and glazed cabinets, beautiful red dragon granite to complement the existing red brick floors and all wrought iron light fixtures (just need hubby to hang my ornate pot rack...drumming those fingers again, lol) :
  • Cindy Quinton
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I bought inexpensive carriage door hardware at Home Depot. What color for the garage doors?
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    Bluish gray like gunmetal gray
  • PRO
    Rockin' Fine Finish
    10 years ago
    i just saw the roof never mind on the gunmetal the darkest color from the brick
  • PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    10 years ago
    Cindy your house is amazing. There is no way I would budget anything outside. Find a designer in your area or a company that you trust to create your dream, outside, then execute in phases. Your house is to nice to rush.
  • Linda Foreman
    10 years ago
    what a fabulous kitchen....love the worktop and light fixture. I have just replaced my garage door for an electric one with some windows along the top. I got a great bargain (for cash, say no more) but it is white. My windows and front door and all the trim are stained a dark mahogany brown. Now I don't know how to manage the colours - it is a difficult one. Anyway, good luck with the outside spruce up - I think staining the driveway and investing in some shrubs and roses would be more than enough to change the whole outlook at present. Leave major changes till you have been there a while, have seen it in all weathers and also have some money aside to get what you really want.