Need master bedroom help!
Erica Davis
Our bedroom is a bit small but it needs upgrade. I need to figure out what colors would make the room appear bigger, what bedding would go great, curtains, blinds, closet door, should we rearrange the furniture. The only thing we are keeping are the furniture pieces, anything else we can change. I posted a pic of each angle, sorry about the messy room. HELP PLEASE!!!
Erica Davis
I can post more pics if needed!
May 17, 2013 at 12:37pm   
Mona Ives
Hi Erica - I would paint the closet doors white. You could do well with any lighter wall color you like. The color you have there is just a bit dark with your darker furniture. You could go with a light bluish gray - like BM Quiet Moments. If you don't like grey colors (like me) look for something more clear and light blue like BM paradiso. Hopefully you like blue. I would keep the bedding white since the furniture is darker and add some lovely printed pillows in blue and white and neutral colors. I would hang white linen drapes over your windows, even behind your bed and extend them the width of the headboard. I would get a larger lamp for your nightstand, something tall with maybe a little shine? Clear glass with some chrome perhaps or a ceramic lamp in white. Without measurements I can't tell, but could you move that man's dresser over between the door and the closet? It seems really large, bulky and heavy where it is. It's also a little old fashioned to have the matching mirror to your dresser. Would you consider taking it down and buying something more modern instead? Something with a silver frame perhaps? Declutter and clear off all your surfaces. Hang some artwork, perhaps soothing landscapes or seascapes on either side of the large window. Hope that helps.
May 17, 2013 at 12:50pm     
Whispar Design
Agree completely with above - especially with reflective accents (lamp. mirror, etc.) to help brighten the room. White and grey are fantastic neutral colors that will help brighten the room with the darker furniture. Can not see from the photo but if handles for the furniture are removable, consider replacing with satin/polished nickel hardware to modernize it a bit.
May 17, 2013 at 12:57pm     
OnePlan
Yup quiet moments would look fab in here - have added a photo so you can see the colour !

May 17, 2013 at 1:32pm     
Erica Davis
I actually just painted the spare bedroom gray which I regret since that was the color I wanted to go with for ours, BUT I have actually been very intrigued with the light blue color for this room. I think painting the closet door is a great idea! What about taking the closet door out all together and doing like a curtain concept? My husband splurged on the furniture last year o.O and so he will not remove any pieces LOL. Although I think the mirror comment was very true! The room is so small for the furniture we have which is the problem. Whispar Design i love the handle idea. I will look to see if we can remove them. The fan is also an older ceiling fan. We need to get something different.
May 17, 2013 at 1:37pm   
Erica Davis
OnePlan, that picture is beautiful, I love that color!!!!!!!!
May 17, 2013 at 1:38pm     
OnePlan
I do too !! Looks beautiful !
May 17, 2013 at 1:49pm     
Whispar Design
With regards to the ceiling fixture - consider a chandelier or a drum/chandelier combo to throw some light around the room. Here are also a few suggestions for bedding - staying with the white/grey theme.
Michelle's Master Bedroom.
Stone Washed Linen Duvet Set
Jennifer Backstein
May 17, 2013 at 1:50pm     
Mona Ives
Blue is a great shade for a bedroom - most people find it soothing and relaxing, men and women. Maybe hubby would be ok with a new mirror if you moved that one to another space and used it. :) Good luck to you.
May 17, 2013 at 1:50pm     
Erica Davis
Haha very true Mona, I just gotta find a new spot for it ;) Thank you all! I think the chandelier will add a nice touch :)
May 17, 2013 at 2:33pm   
Need Ideas for Dining Room
Looking for ideas to finish off my dining room. We...
Plaster walls with too much texture
I have plaster walls in a bathroom in my 1929-built...
I need help in my foyer
I have a really big ledge in my new foyer. It's about...
An odd place for an ugly door, how can I camouflage it?
This door in my master leads onto the hot tub deck,...