What is my best ventilation solution?
berkeley_kitchen
I've been looking around at island style hoods for quite a while now and then someone suggested that I have high power wall exhausts installed and have a box made around them or to have the corner filled with a cabinet and then duct through the cabinet. Thanks for looking at this and for any suggestions .
OnePlan
This looks effective

May 17, 2013 at 3:22PM   
Riddle Construction and Design
We have done a similar scenario
May 17, 2013 at 3:56PM     
Ed
Hi Berkeley, would this be an option: have the duct go through either the dry wall or the ceiling all the way to the outside ( in addition to a ventilation fan, of course ) ?
May 17, 2013 at 7:55PM   
berkeley_kitchen
For sure Ed . I also like what riddle did . The right wall goes outside as well as the ceiling . Someone suggested I find a way to install an exhaust in the back shelf and vent it out the wall .

I'm still trying to imagine how that would work . I've been scratching my head on this one about 6months now .
May 18, 2013 at 7:36PM   
Ed
Hi Berkeley, have you consulted on-site professional advice for this ventilation dilemma ?
May 18, 2013 at 8:57PM   
berkeley_kitchen
I've had a couple people over and I've spoken to one or two on the phone . So far nobody has come up with anything . Do you have any recommendations ?
May 18, 2013 at 9:21PM   
Ed
Hi Berkeley, consider what information is given here to Houzz people -- One photo. We don't know what's above the ceiling, what's behind the reddish-orangeish walls, what's to the left of the photo, what's to the right of the photo, what's the floor plan, where is the nearest "exterior" and how to get there...
Why is it it that the couple of people who went over -- they had already seen the physical situation -- and the one or two on the phone -- why has nobody come up with anything ? :)
Would you like to vent the exhaust to the outside, or are you OK with just a self-circulating ventilation ?
May 18, 2013 at 10:13PM   
Scott Design, Inc.
Consider building an upper diagonal wall in line with the back of the range, as wide as a 36" hood and down from the ceiling to the desired height over the range. Fill in the underside space behind the diagonal wall. Mount the hood on this wall and duct out the back and thru the wall or out the ceiling where you say it can be ducted successfully.
May 18, 2013 at 10:34PM     
berkeley_kitchen
Thanks for your message Ed.. Yes, you have a good point.. there are quite a few things that aren't known from just one picture. I'm not by any stretch of the imagination a kitchen designer and certainly not a construction professional but I do love to cook and the kitchen is one of my favorite rooms in the house :), so I want to make this part of it the best I can and so far everyone on this thread has been giving me some very good things to think about.

Above the ceiling is the roof. This kitchen is on the top floor and the roof is flat. The duct turns back to the attic where the heater is. The left wall goes to a bathroom and the right wall is outside facing. The distance between those two cabinets is not the same so It feels like it might be more difficult to put something in there and have it look nice.

As far as why things have not moved forward with the people who have seen it . I'm still new to this whole process. I think it is a combination of maybe not connecting with the right people, not being inspired by the solutions that have been suggested and perhaps I should have more of a vision to approach people with?

So far I've spoken with two contractors and one full service kitchen remodel company. How much is it a potential client's responsibility to have a clear vision and how much do you bring with your experience and knowledge in bidding for jobs ? Thank you all for your time and ideas .
May 19, 2013 at 7:30AM   
apple_pie_order
This is a small job. The kitchen remodel company may not want to bother with it. The contractors are probably looking to bid on a well-defined job that is already drawn up with specs.

A contractor who also does some design work may be able to do it for you. Check local pros on Houzz. If they are not interested in a small job, ask them to suggest someone who might be. In Berkeley, you have a lot of people who are used to working with historic cottages and putting in new kitchens in old buildings. They may even suggest punching a hole through the wall for an in-wall fan instead of a more modern design. That'd be vastly cheaper, but maybe not up to current building code.
May 19, 2013 at 8:15AM     
nikitasmom
Maybe a ductless vent that uses charcoal filter to recirculate. Here is one that is made for the corner. http://homeappliances.wordpress.com/2010/03/29/elica-corner-hood/
May 19, 2013 at 8:44AM     
berkeley_kitchen
Wow , I never knew such a thing existed ! I wonder if the ductless solutions work well with high BTU ranges like Thermador . I'll check it out .
May 19, 2013 at 8:55AM   
What's the best solution for a condo without an air conditioner?
Top floor, complex doesn't seem set up for air conditioners...
What are your best space saving solutions?
I don't know about you but I often find myself looking...
What type of cleaning solution is best?
I would be worried that cleaning solutions best for...
Retro kitchen
I'm trying to figure out the name of some retro colors...
Area Rug
I need some help with the color of an area rug. Would...
What do you think?
What do you think of the fireplace surround? http://www.houzz.com/photos/16502991/Southern-Plantation-Living-Room-traditional-living-room-houston...
I need brutal honesty here!! I promise I can take it. :)
We're finally finishing our basement (yay!) and I decided...