Need help!

jmorehedMay 17, 2013
I'm moving next month to this house with lots of wood and I don't know what to do... Any ideas? My style is more modern contemporary. Thanks!
shelleyhmln
I understand where you are coming from- but, you need to embrace this! It is beautiful and once painted, you can't go back!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
studio10001
Based on just these photos, I'd suggest replacing the spindles, runner and fan for more cont. pieces, and colouring the risers and rail. In your second photo, something looks amiss over the doorway; if paint will correct it, by all means, grab a can. You'll get more suggestions if you can include more photos and info on a preferred colour scheme and furnishings that may come into play, as well. Congrats on your new home.
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:57PM
jmorehed
So you saying I shouldn't paint at all?
    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 2:58PM
Riddle Construction and Design
I agree with changing out the railing and fan to a contemporary style. You could wash the wood in a pale grey color but once you start down this road there is no going back. Personally if all the natural wood is not your thing I would say do it.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 3:59PM
studio10001
Wood is an asset to modern contemporary design - beyond that I can't infer from what is being shown. The addition of metals and stone would take best advantage of this when furnishing.
5 Likes    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 4:14PM
jmorehed
Thank you so much guys for the help. One more question. What about the glasses, what should I do? Remove or cover it? Thanks!
    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 5:42PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Do you mean the panels along the stairs? If so the only thing I don't like about them is the pattern that looks like it has been etched into them. If that is the case I would remove them.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 5:51PM
jennimarquette
I would paint the risers on the steps a dark color like brown or black. Also replace the wooden spindles with wrought iron spindles.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 5:59PM
jmorehed
Yes, they're etched on the glass. Do you mean remove the whole panel and add another one with the same style without any details or what should a put in place? Thanks!
    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 6:02PM
0825sam
From what I can see I think I would keep the panelling and trim around windows but paint over what looks like the flat, smooth pieces of wood (obviously not using the right term). Agree on the stair railing.
Ragley Hall Residence Living Room · More Info
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 6:21PM
nwduck
Some "short on funds after we move in but that bugs me" ideas: 1. Switch out the lampshade portion of the ceiling fan. There are sleeker looking ones for not much money at Home Depot/Lowes, as a temporary solution. 2. If the glass isn't truly etched but stenciled on with DIY frosting spray later (which I suspect it is), you could try masking it off into a basic geometric shape, and re-apply the glass frosting. You can buy spray for this at craft stores.

Before taking out the glass, you might see if someone can advise you as to why that might have been installed in the first place. There may be a heating/cooling design reason the glass is there. If you have the furnace looked at say, for maintenance, you might ask them to also assess that during their visit.

Painting spindles is a pain in the rear. Live with it until you can afford to replace them. You might try pulling the carpet runner at the top riser to see if the stairs are solid wood. You can generally fix the marks carpet tack strips leave. Then everyone will just admire your fabulous wood stairs.

Personally, I think the diagonal wood is a give-away in age...hello, '70s! I'd get rid of that before the spindles, as it's a much bigger visual, and drywall that area if needed. I'd leave the other horizontal wood adjacent to it. The ceiling is to die for. Paint the wood (?) stuff, like what's above the doorway. You should do a search on how to paint that paneling, which may not be a real wood product that was popular during the 1970s. Do a little Googling before you start. Prep is everything.

Lots of potential! Congrats.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 17, 2013 at 6:59PM
jmorehed
Thank you so much!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:07AM
jmorehed
Here one more pic form another angle.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:34AM
nwduck
My gosh. Lots of 1970s house with 1980s accents going on! Don't worry. We bought into a similar situation, changed ornate things into simple lines and everyone loves my house (now!). I see why the spindles bother you so much. Guess now I'd choose to do those first and tackle the diagonal wood wall later.

If they did the staircase later (which it seems to me they did, given the light oak and the style) the glass inserts might have replaced that amber bubble glass so popular in the 1970s. In that case, they may indeed have had the glass professionally etched. Run your finger over it. If the glass still feels pretty flat, it's probably the spray. "Frosting" paint can be carefully scraped off with a square edged razor blade. (I was curious, so looked it up.) I don't think you would want to just take them out as you may have a safety issue. The base of the window wall doesn't look high enough to keep you from potentially going through the openings.

I hope you have a lot of fun making this your own. We did!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:10AM
onthefence
Regarding the etched panels on the glass, I agree to check to see if they're an aplique that has been applied or if the glass really IS etched.

If it is indeed etched, I wonder how it would look to etch a stripe (or another pattern) along the bottom of the glass that completely covers the pattern. I'm thinking along the lines of a new tatoo that covers an old one.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:16AM
NK Woodworking
Looks like dry style of "woodwork". Same tones etc.... Even the vynal floor - how funny! : ) You could update it with some real striking contrasting woods or dyed woods and it would make it all much more alive without having to just paint over stuff. The ceiling is pretty. The floor and the wall are really taking it all down.... Its not wood, just that wood/ply vaneer...
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 5:58PM
studio10001
I'd suggest removal of all the trim bits, and repainting or complete removal of the faux stuff. The door and parquet are other areas for updating. What you do beyond updating what has been mentioned so far depends on your color story. Time to expand your ideabook.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:56PM
Vera Beaman Design Consultant Ward Brown Builders
wallpaper the mirrors
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 9:08PM
ruthmand
The problem is that you have so many different types of wood and styles, but then you probably know that. I think you need to decide which of the wood walls, etc. you want to keep and what not. Then go with that style and slowly carry it on through the house. This is will be quite a job and until you have some vision of what you do like about this house and what not I suggest you don't do anything drastic. Walk around and take notes of everything that bothers you and start with the big stuff. Painting some woodwork for starters may seem like an easy place to start but may not go with what you ultimately decide to do here. Look through Houzz for photos of wood paneled rooms, there are lots, and see what look appeals to you then slowly move in that direction for the best results. Good luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:44PM
Ultra-tec Cable Railing by The Cable Connection
Cable railing could be another alternative for those vertical spindles in your stair railing.
Ideabook: Residential Cable Railing · See Ideabook
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:29PM
Stuck-need help on living room- need help decorating- furniture ideas
My living room comes off the front entrance and it...
jannnnn
Need help with EXTERIOR Colonial Home needs Help!
Hi, I am trying to come with a plan for my colonial...
Trent
Need Help/Ideas W/ Living Room/Dining Room. Layout help & design help
I've included larger and more pictures in the thread...
kris0330
Need help please!! Reno master bath. Need some help
The grey tiles look like wood but aren't for floors....
koberay
Family Room paint help
I am trying to come up with a paint palette for my...
blovebug
need help for ,y 2nd floor house
i want a plan for my 2nd floor individual house of...
tanmayacharya
How does this backsplash look?
The granite is Santa cecelia (light??) and the cabinets...
skp0001
please help complete my lr/dr
just painted my dark lr/dr with a light color. Have...
waterloo481
For the minimalists: home office help
I'm trying to redo my home office. I'm at the very...
Richard Dickerson