Tile backsplash?
drakeland
We just bought our first home with a builder and I'm trying to choose a backsplash tile for our small ensuite. There will only be 3 rows of 3"x 6" tile. Photo shows a muted black porcelain tile for the floor, white vanity, caesarstone countertop called "Cement" and 3 different subway tiles. Hoping to get the opinions of my fellow Houzzers on which tile I should go with. Haven't picked out a paint colour yet for the walls.
With a Caesarstone Cement countertop, white vanity, and off black flooring, I would select the subway tile that most closely matches the while cabinets. If a good white is not offered, then the Silver Grey Bright looks best on my computer screen, and color selection from a computer screen is about like throwing darts in the dark
Carolyn Albert-Kincl, ASID.
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 5:37PM
drakeland
Thank you Carolyn for your suggestion! There are both glossy and matte white tiles to choose from.The kitchen is the same cabinet with Nero Impala granite countertop and the same tile in a soft white matte for the backsplash (which in the kitchen goes from counter to bottom of cabinet), so I'm not sure why I didn't think to use them in the ensuite....
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 6:02PM
Interiors International, Inc.
I also like the Silver Grey Bright Carolyn and I do tend to agree often. She has great style and taste, IMO
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 6:06PM
As does that handsome fellow at Interiors International! In a bathroom where the splash is not large, I'd probably select a glossy finish to go with a polished countertop, while in a kitchen sometimes I do it the other way, matte tile with polished countertop since the splash is so much larger.
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 6:08PM
drakeland
Our other (cheaper) choice that's being priced out too is with a Wilsonart laminate counter, same cabinets, and a different porcelain tile for the floor, called New Reeds (bottom of photo). Would you suggest a white backsplash tile here too?
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 6:22PM
Interiors International, Inc.
I wouldn't go for the cheaper route. In the long run like next year you will be happier that you didn't.
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 6:24PM
Again, Interiors Int'l and I are in agreement.
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 6:40PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Carolyn, we should combine our companies!, ;-) We would work so well together!
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 6:45PM
Well, you'll have to move to Austin!
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:47PM
drakeland
Thank you both for your advice!

The countertop is approx 36" x 22" and builder just quoted $700 for a quartz countertop. Given what other upgrades to the house we could do for $700 (such as 14 pot lights) I'm not sure a $700 quartz countertop is worth it.
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 11:35AM
Hey, 14 pot lights for $700, including materials and labor, is a bargain! I'd look for a better price on that countertop.
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 5:44PM
Painting aluminum siding
Has anyone here had any experience painting aluminum...
libratravel
What's on your nightstand?
What do you keep handy when you go to sleep at night?...
Dysfunctional family room
This community was so helpful with my pantry dilemma...
Laurie
Need help with Optimizing Kid Cave
Inspiration for the Kid Cave :) Looking to optimize...
Tina Cunha-Marquardt