master bedroom help: lamps, wall color
maxdc
We have just bought a house and moved in a few weeks ago. We need bedside table lamps but while I am at it, I might paint (the color on the walls is from the previous owner). I am not sure what style of lamps I should use with this headboard. I also want to dress the bed but don't want to hide the headboard too much. Rug ideas welcomed, too. The furniture cannot change. We can add but we cannot subtract at this point. Thanks for your help!
Ed
Hi Max, Congrats on your new home! :) Your current wall color looks nice with the floor. The wood floor also looks nice -- what kind of wood is it ?
2 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 6:39PM
maxdc
yes, the floors were all re-done by the seller just before we purchased the home. My only issue with the is that they are EXACTLY the same color as my bedroom furniture. I think I need an area rug under the bed to differentiate the wood floor from the wood bed frame.
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 6:42PM
Interiors International, Inc.
The head board looks a bit like MCM. So I would lean towards taller lamps with long drum shades.
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 6:43PM
I would like to see a rug angled out from the bed just to create an interesting vibe in the room. For your bedding, I think that it's great to start with a white quilt. Then it will be easy to change colors of pillows, etc. along the way.

So I suggest that to go on top of that white quilt, and to actually cover a lot of it, you should buy 3 euro shams in the color of your choice. Then get a blanket or comforter or duvet cover that will go with the shams. Fold it across the foot of the bed. Here are a couple of bedding choices that speak softly of color. To go with them, you might select a jute rug such as you see below. Bear in mind that some jute rugs are softer than others so be sure to walk on them barefoot to determine their comfort level.
Daniel Stuart Studio Bristow Bed Linens Stone/Taupe Lambswool Pillow, 18Sq. Vintage Ticking Stripe Duvet Cover & Sham, Blue Chunky Wool & Natural Jute Rug
2 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:06PM
maxdc
thanks Ed and Interiors International. Should the lamp bases be angular like the headboard or should I add curves? Glass/metal/ceramic? Thanks!
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:07PM
Because your night stands are small, I would not use up their space with lamps but would instead mount swing arm lamps to the wall on each side of the bed. They will be ever so handy for reading but will swing out of the way when not needed. The one below is rather expensive but they come in a wide range of prices, including some under $50 at Lowes or HD.

2 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:12PM
Interiors International, Inc.
Carolyn, you are correct. I thought they were getting new nightstands. I read it too fast. Your wall mounted lamps would be best.
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 7:15PM
maxdc
thanks Carolyn - this is a silly question but in order to wall mount lamps will I need an electrician and/or will the wall need to be patched? I am planning to paint so not a huge deal.

I had imagined 3 euro pillows but then was afraid they would cover too much of the headboard.

And I love the look of a quilt with the duvet just folded over casually but then it always feels like a bother to move everything around at bedtime - do all of those gorgeous beds on Houzz require alot of fuss to actually be slept in? Is this the home decorating equivalent of wearing uncomfortable but stylish shoes?! I am open to suffering for beautiful decor but just wanting to to know if there is another way...

Thanks all!
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:20PM
wally'sgirl
Wall lamps are great! I think you need to bring in some color--maybe you could pick up something from the basket? (I am NOT a decorator, just another homeowner who wants her house to look great!0
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 7:23PM
wally'sgirl
LOL! Love your response. Actually, I think you could use a "throw" for color that wouldn't interfere with bedtime. And your can get wall mount lamps that don't have to be hard wired--you can just plug them in to existing outlets. Have used them before and they are great. Saves room on your nightstands. Check Lamps Plus; they have a huge selection and some great prices.
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:27PM
Tossing aside at bedtime the 6 pillow that are on our bed, plus the comforter at the foot of the bed takes perhaps 15 seconds. Replacing them carefully when I make the bed in the morning requires another 25 seconds. So much easier than wearing high heels all day! Walking into the bedroom several times throughout the day and seeing the beautiful bed is definitely worth those 40 seconds a day.

Since you want to see most of your beautiful headboard, you could instead use 2 euro shams or a couple of queen size pillows. Hide the pillows you use for sleeping under the euros.
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:39PM
Genevieve
First of all find the bedding that you like and from that choose a colour
with the actual colour of he walls
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:46PM
Lkristine
Yes, there are many plug in wall mount lamps, so no electrician is needed! My exact thought was the same as Lynne's. Lamps Plus has many, here is the link. http://www.lampsplus.com/products/s_plug-in-wall-sconce/
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:46PM
As lovely as they are, wall sconces are not great for reading in bed because they don't swing out over the bed. That's why I mentioned "swing arm" lamps.
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:50PM
maxdc

is this what I should be aiming for?
2 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:53PM
maxdc
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:54PM
maxdc
forgot to mention - the fan can change: we will need a fan but I am willing to get a new one if this one is a limiting factor.
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:55PM
Genevieve
Who has time to read in bed ?
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 7:58PM
maxdc
beach glass

(function() {var embedScript = document.createElement('script'); embedScript.type = 'text/javascript'; embedScript.async = true;embedScript.src = 'http://www.benjaminmoore.com/bm/colorgallery/js/bmjq.js';var n = document.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; n.parentNode.insertBefore(embedScript, n);})();
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:59PM
maxdc
how do i post a paint color from the bmoore website?
0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 7:59PM
maxdc
beach glass

0 Likes   May 17, 2013 at 8:01PM
maxdc
Genevieve: i read every night. DH has an ereader so does not need a lamp but I do. I am currently using a camping head lamp which is not my best boudoir look!

Sorry about my paint posts - tryiing to post BM Beach Glass. It is a color I have been wanting to use for a long time so might do it in the MBR. Seems restful.
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 8:04PM
It's a Beautiful World!
Congrtas on your new home! To decide on colors, you can first start with wall art you are going to hang in the room and, once it's there, you can then pull your colors for rug, linen, etc. from art. Best of luck decorating!... Raisa
1 Like   May 17, 2013 at 9:43PM
Genevieve
Beach Glass here it is Its a lovely colour http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/beachglass#ce_s=Beach glass
[houzz=Profiles Turquoise Bedding Collection]

About the reading lamp ,there are so many task lights to choose from here is one that porhaps you might like

[houzz=Grogan Task Lamp No. 1]
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 3:49AM
Lkristine
I think beach glass would look wonderful! Here is a painted up version of your room.
3 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 6:55AM
Genevieve
LKristine can you please add what I have chosen to the picture just to see what it would look like :) I don't know how :(
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:01AM
maxdc
LKristine - thank you! That looks amazing! I am inspired to start painting asap!

Genevieve thank you for linking the color.

I have a jute rug in the family room that isn't perfect there, I will try it in the bedroom. What is the best size rug for under a queen bed?

Also: Windows: can I do drapes with that radiator right under the window? There are cellular blinds up now that the seller left for us. I would love to add more fabric somehow but not sure if it would look bad given the huge radiator.

Thank you!
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 9:39AM
Genevieve
Go short with the window covering I don't know if you recall but years ago we used short curtains in bedrooms and we didn't have radiators :) If you have the cellullar blinds work with them you could always add a valance on the top . I rather keep the bed on the floor ,no carpet ,its easier to run the dust map or vacuum on it , use mats on the sides of the bed instead shake and replece .... I'm trying to save you work and money :))

0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 9:55AM
Lkristine
Sorry, I can't add specific items. I don't have a program for that. I just painted all the stuff in with the Benjamin Moore paint app
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 11:37AM
Genevieve
Thank you LKristine. You did good :)
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 11:45AM
I like your bed…a little contemporary/Asian. At some point you could paint it, but I like how it matches the floor.

Can the bed come off the 14' wall? I always prefer to look at the bed from the doorway.

Lamps like these…color and the style would look nice.
Sterling Industries Three Bird Light

Aspect Stripes (Purple)
Olympia Wrinkle-Free Sateen Comforter Cover/Duvet Cover And Sham
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 12:15PM
Stamps Design Services
I am posting some rooms for you to look at to hopefully inspire you. (you didn't mention what your color preferences are.) and one of my favorite lamp styles (from lamps plus).
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 12:24PM
maxdc
Stamps Design Service - thanks! I have those lamps in my living room already but I was wondering if they might work in the bedroom instead! I really like those inspiration photos - will try to replicate some of those colors.

judyg the bed is on the 14' wall already - that photo of the headboard is the view from the doorway. It's just a small room with a million openings (entry door, 2 closets, bathroom, 2 windows) plus that huge radiator. There is no other piece of wall long enough for the bed.

Loving all that lavender bedding Judyg! Nice ideas.

I have some shams I want to use but they are still in storage. Not sure if they will work but next week I will try them and see.

Thank you everyone - I will post updates next week when I have made some progress.
2 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 3:53PM
Thanks for the thanks :>)
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 4:22PM
decofriend
The beach glass will be great showing through the headboard. I agree that swing arm lamps will be best solution for limited space. The ceiling fan is fine. Take a look at natural woven roman shades for window treatments. The look and function will be better than valences or short curtains. There are radiator covers that will hide the radiator and update your space. Enjoy creating this special room!
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 4:55PM
maxdc
Would this lamp work? If not this lamp is thus the size? I might still do the swing arms but hate the cord hanging down and DH says no electricians...
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 7:02AM
The lamp works satisfactorily if you don't need the space for other items. If you do need more space, then consider the swing arm lamps that attach to the wall.
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 5:30PM
Loom Decor
@maxdc- did you get the shams out of storage yet? I would love to chat with you in regards to the bedding for this project. Loomdecor.com is a design-it-yourself home decor website that offers complimentary stylists for projects big or small. I would love to take some of the ideas of above, plus incorporate the shams you have in storage if possible, and create a few looks with you.
If you are interested lets continue this chat offline. Please feel free to email me jackie@loomdecor.com
Cant wait to see how this rooms turns out!!:)
0 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 10:51AM
Consider moving your chest to the wall at the foot of the bed by the closet door and around the corner from the bathroom door. Then you'll have room for a comfy small scale chair and table where the chest is now.
0 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 11:00AM
maxdc
Here are the shams out of storage.
If I move the acrylic lamps to the mbr I will then have to find something else for their place in LR so might not bother.
Just learned the ceiling fan is broken and needs repair so there goes half my budget for lamps. And it's getting hot here!!

I have these other lamps from storage but need to be rewired. They might have to do for now.
0 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 11:09AM
maxdc
Also, the chest at the foot if the bed won't fit: chest is 21" deep leaving me only 19" to open drawers and pass by. Good idea, though!
0 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 11:10AM
wally'sgirl
Still think you ought to do the swing arm wall lamps--looks like you could use the space on nightstands for other things. Are you still going with the bj paint? It is beautiful; will it work with the colors in your shams? Are they red?
Also, could you do side panels--tie them back on each side of the radiator? Would soften the lines a bit, which I always like in the bedroom. Think it makes it more cozy. (and just keep the cellular shades)
0 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 12:18PM
Loom Decor
@maxdc- i love the shams.. but they are a totally different look than the above mocks up with the beach glass you loved. which way are you leaning--- reds like the shams? or blues and neutrals like the paint?
0 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 12:23PM
maxdc
I know I am a bit confused myself. The elephants are burnt orange as are the linen lamp shades on the little bedside lamps that need to be rewired. I am not sure if the elephants will work with the Beach Glass or not - I need to go get a sample can and try it out.

Mostly, I am realizing that I don't have enough money right now to do this how I would like to and am feeling discouraged. New house and lots of deferred maintenance from the previous owner that keeps revealing itself (today it was the ceiling fan, yesterday a leak from the upstairs tub into the kitchen cabinets, tomorrow I am sure will be some new surprise!)

So I am unsure if I should invest any money at all until I can do this room completely (windows, lamps, rug) or just do the paint now and wing it later. Seems wiser to have a master plan first, but painting is so quick and easy and transformative.
0 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 1:04PM
Loom Decor
i would hold off on the project until you can give it the time and budget it deserves. in the meantime, why don't continue to look for ideas and inspiration as well as test out a few different paint colors on the wall and give it a few weeks to sink in and see what you really like. this is also a good way to test paints with decor and see which "matches" best for you, most versatile, etc.
this will allow you to "regroup" and be more confident with your decorating decisions!
when you are ready-- we are happy to help!
jackie@loomdecor.com
0 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 1:30PM
Help with master bedroom's wall color and window/molding/closet color.
Hi, We just bought this house and is from the 70s...
bradlici
Master bedroom wall color help
My wife and I are FINALLY getting to painting the master...
yugituna
Master Bedroom Wall Color Help!
My husband and I just bought a new bed, see picture...
Leah Brady
Need help picking a lamp shade for my Master Bedroom lamps
I have two bedside lamps that I really like but I'm...
wmpj
Need help with entire Master bedroom!Nightstands, lamps, chair, artwor
We have a deep navy Wyatt bed from R&B, a hand me down...
kuje0601
Need some ideas for arbor over my garage.
How would it look to to build an arbor that would extend...
grinerl
Converting 2BHK to 3BHK
We are planning to buy a new apartment which is a 2BHK...
akshayapradeep
Bath remodel
We are remodeling our master bath, gutting it so no...
Peg Pisani
What fabric would you use?
What fabric would you choose to recover this loveseat?...
lindler
Mid Century Dining Set
I need help finding a rectangular dining table to match...
fabianrd