Curtain Advice Please.
rcmommy
Hi everyone! We just bought new furniture and bedding and painted and redecorated our master bedroom. I have added curtains to warm up the room and add some texture. I took these pics at night so the lighting is poor but my question is what to do with them? Right now they are long and puddled on the floor. Do I shorten them? To what length? Should I add tie-backs? The curtains are a sheer-Ish linen and there are wood blinds behind them. We get tons of light in this room and privacy is an issue. WWYD? My other issue is the window with the half moon on top and cathederal ceiling above? Should I keep the rod where it is?
rcmommy
Wow, those pics are dark. I will add another tomorrow in daylight.
May 17, 2013 at 8:34pm   
Andrea Prasch
I would raise the drapery not shorten them. For the crescent window I would do a custom window treatment.
May 17, 2013 at 8:40pm     
jansgirl
Yes, first off, raise your rod until drapes just swing free of your floor. Will check back for new photos.
May 17, 2013 at 8:42pm   
Sharyl King
on the first picture move the curtain rod to almost the top of the wall for vertical height. The second one I would do the same height as the first. then add both another layer of some kind and I would put metal hooks on the side so that when I did not need privacy I could pull them back for the sun.
May 17, 2013 at 8:43pm   
rcmommy
The rods are hung from before, we did have a valance before redecorating. Moving the rod up is an option. I should add that the crescent window is at the front of the house and is high enough up that privacy is not an issue. Just the bottom section of the window.
May 17, 2013 at 8:45pm   
Keitha
I would hang the drapes above the palladium window and hang the others the same height. Your rods are way too small. I suggest getting a chunky decorative rod in a darker color and clip rings instead of stirring them on a rod .
May 17, 2013 at 8:57pm     
mcbriec
drapes on palladian window are too high IMO and cover up the framing on the bottom of the palladian window. I agree with larger chunkier rods and not puddling the drape in 1st pic.
May 17, 2013 at 9:13pm     
rcmommy
It is an overcast day and the iPad photos are grainy so the pictures are still not great. The walls are actually Chocolate Velvet by Para Paints. The curtains are linen. We have never had any covering on the crescent window before now. And I like the fact I can lay in bed at night and watch the stars and UFOs. Haha.
May 18, 2013 at 6:31am   
rcmommy
Does anyone have any ideas on what I could hang over the bed? I rarely find a print or picture I like and I tend not to buy them anyway because I tire of them easily. I would like something three dimensional that adds some pop.
May 18, 2013 at 6:35am   
Donna Cheek
Definitely raise the rods on the drapes. Get rods that are 2 1/4 inches in diameter with matching rings. Also, you need much more substantial lamps than you are currently using. Maybe you would like an arrangement of very pretty plates above your bed or a smallish shelf (accented with gold) with a nice bird type figurine on it. Scrolled plaques in a gold tone might also look nice. Please post "after" pictures.
May 18, 2013 at 2:42pm     
Donna Cheek
Here are two examples.
May 18, 2013 at 3:03pm   
Aja Mazin
Do you sew?

Line your curtains if you feel privacy or sun are issue.

Puddling curtains is a matter of individual taste.
May 18, 2013 at 3:25pm   
Aja Mazin
Aren't the slats in your blinds turned the wrong way?
May 18, 2013 at 3:52pm   
rcmommy
The slats turned wrong? No.
May 18, 2013 at 7:40pm   
colonialgp
For your bed area, how about larger bedside lamps? The color looks good but they're too small for the bed.
May 18, 2013 at 7:46pm     
rcmommy
Okay, so we looked into raising the curtain rod over the windows as suggested. On the one window it works no problem. However on the second window with the crescent window the curtain is way too short. I really like these curtains and I am cutting it close to the return by date. Do I have other options? I know I need to get a bigger rod and extend them out on both sides....could I swing something like this?
May 24, 2013 at 7:31am   
Genevieve
What are the colours in the bedding I see a lot of white
May 24, 2013 at 7:46am   
rcmommy
The comforter is more of a turquoise and the sheets are light brown. I wouldn't go with the white curtains above, but the ones posted in the photos.
May 24, 2013 at 7:49am   
Genevieve
I just had to complete it ...you need one of these :)

May 24, 2013 at 8:20am   
rcmommy
haha. Our cat is normally hiding under the bed but of course didn't want to be excluded from the photo. I love the curtains with the stripes and the lamps are very pretty. It was mentioned above that I needed to change the lamp sizes. We had a queen before so I guess I was still thinking smaller, not king size.
May 24, 2013 at 8:44am     
Genevieve
Sorry I missed the lamp mentioned ,I should pay more attention,the cat got to me :)) mine loves to look outside the window I cannot close the blind during the day he tries to open it wih his paws ,so I need to keep them up half way ...cat rules:))
May 24, 2013 at 8:53am   
JMittman Designs
I'd prefer to see your panels hung above the palladium window. Makes a very dramatic statement. Can you get the ones you have in a longer length? On your smaller window, your rod appears to be bowing in the middle. You have it separated too far--you'll need a longer rod there. I don't think you have to go chunky though, lots of narrow wrought iron rods making a comeback. --I also do not recommend clips. (I think they look cheap.) Rod pocket are fine, as long as you keep them shirred up tightly.
May 24, 2013 at 10:00am   
rcmommy
Yep, the rods will be changed. Those were just there from the previous curtains so I used them to hang the new. This was the longest length for these curtains, so I will not be able to get long enough to cover the palladium window. In fact, I think I would be hard pressed to find any curtain that would fit, unless it is custom made. So, my question is...despite knowing it is not the way most would recommend, how would you hang them with what I have. Should I shorten them, let them puddle or use tie backs??
May 24, 2013 at 10:11am   
Sharyl King
For something over the bed I saw lettering that goes on the wall that said "Always kiss me goodnight". Might just be me but the day before my wedding someone told me that. I was married for 32 years not bad to get a kiss and be told you are loved everyday.
May 24, 2013 at 10:19am   
JMittman Designs
If you don't want to spring for custom, I'd leave the palladium rod where it is and hem the panels to the floor. No puddling on either window. They will look fine.
May 24, 2013 at 10:24am   
rcmommy
I have seen that phrase over the bed and it is sweet but not for us. I saw someone on here somewhere had posted photos of white wood pieces that I would love to find. Or some shells or something that pops out.
May 24, 2013 at 10:26am   
Genevieve
Sharyl King sometimes we do need a sign to be reminded of certain things :))
May 24, 2013 at 10:26am   
rcmommy
For above the bed I was thinking something along the lines of this....or similar too...
May 24, 2013 at 10:31am   
shelleyuk
I would use your sheers (they are sheer rather than sheer ish!) as inner curtains and add some full curtains in a thicker fabric. Since the sheer curtains would then be framed by the more substantial curtains you could cut them in half width wise and use the excess fabric to lengthen them. Then raise your poles much higher.

Not sure I've explained that very well. Will find a picture to illustrate
May 24, 2013 at 10:40am   
rcmommy
I had "Our greatest glory is not in never failing, but in rising every time we fall" over our kitchen window. Nearly every kid my two had over made me explain it to them time after time. lol
May 24, 2013 at 10:41am     
shelleyuk

Use the sheers like this
May 24, 2013 at 11:09am   
rcmommy
ah, got it, thanks!
May 24, 2013 at 11:10am   
shelleyuk

How about this. They look like they're just different types of ceiling rose. Very cheap but look interesting.
May 24, 2013 at 11:12am   
rcmommy
Oh I like those. Thanks.
May 24, 2013 at 11:20am   
shelleyuk
I think the yellow ones you posted are also ceiling roses so same idea. Not sure abut prices over there but here in the UK they start from about £15 a piece. Many are now foam based rather than plaster (which makes them easier to fix since they are far lighter)
May 24, 2013 at 11:24am   
shelleyuk
Here you go (not sure if this will work since this is the first time I've tried to insert a website address)
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?keyword=ceiling+medallion&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
May 24, 2013 at 11:25am   
truey
Raise the curtain rod and then, cuz the window is so short and high off the ground, put a small chest right under the window to lengthen it out. That big empty area of wall under the window just emphasizes the small size of the window
May 24, 2013 at 11:36am   
rcmommy
Truey, you are right it does emphasize that area. I plan on keeping the sheers closed and opening the blinds when we need light in. With the palladium window uncovered (no privacy issue there) it normally lets plenty of light in. I won't be able to put any furniture there since there is a heating vet.
May 24, 2013 at 11:39am   
rcmommy
Shelleyuk, those are great. Thank you. I can paint some white, turquouise, but what is another colour I could add in - the walls are a warm brown - I know they look somewhat olive green in the photo.
May 24, 2013 at 11:41am   
shelleyuk
How about different shades of the turquoise, like they've done with the yellow on your picture.
May 24, 2013 at 1:20pm   
rcmommy
I was thinking the same. I just popped into Lowe's and they have those medallions for very decent prices.
May 24, 2013 at 3:31pm   
truey
What about a table like this? The heat would still work.

May 24, 2013 at 4:32pm     
rcmommy
That is a great table. I also bought bigger rods for the curtains at Lowe's. I will post photos of them once we get them up.
May 24, 2013 at 4:33pm     
Dining room makeover - curtain advice please!?
We are trying to complete this room. Any additional...
Curtains advice please
Hi, I need to change the curtains in this room. Any...
Need advice on my curtains!!!! Please?? LOL
In need of advice. I have linen curtains. Ill try to...
I Need Curtain Advice, Please?
In my next life I am buying a house without dilemma's!...
PLEASE HELP:) Need curtain, rod, and paint advice for master bedroom
I am cluless as to what curtains, rods and paint to...
Should I put a deck or patio in this space?
This is a log house with the original steps and cement...
Front door painted black - brush strokes are too heavy
Wood front door was painted black 2 days ago and the...
What color should I paint this small bedroom?
Main floor is getting painted next week. Mostly SW...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...