Need your creative mind for a fix to ugly bedroom cabinets!
djoy72
Turning out to love this bigger basement room-turned-master.Previous owners built out 1/2 the basement of our '66 rambler. It's about 15 x 15.

I have painted walls a light sagey-green and the ceiling 1 shade lighter. metals are brushed silver. i have espresso accents/wood. I added pale lilac and cream linens. I am going for a calm, super-comfortable natur-y feel. My husband wanted a retreat where we could keep the room simple and breathe so little by little I am figuring things out but am far from being talented!

Issue: im stuck on what to do with these installed, super hokey cabinets! I pulled the doors off to get the hideous 60s/70s black hardware off the painted cream colored cabinets. There are 4 that span the wall. The Insides (and doors I pulled down) are plywood-like and the one closest to the head of the bed has an air duct, so hiding that would be good.

I kind of like them for storage as we have none in the room except a closet.

My initial thought was to take off-white drapey fabric and staple it--maybe with a couple pleats--to the small bit of wood next to the ceiling in 3 vertical floor-to ceiling pieces and cover the cloth with cute pale silver rope trim I found. I am avoiding doing this because I think it's going to look dumb...and shrink the too too much.

I'm lost and in denial that they are there. I am not sure I could just put new hardwood on handles and hinges...thin crappy wood.

Ideas, decorating masters and mavens? Pardon the mess, too pls! :). Thank you so much!
LB Interiors
Remove all the shelf cubbies. We need pics that show all the walls of the room. We need to see the entire room. One wall at a time.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 12:18AM
Sia@South47th
Do I understand that you wish to keep the cubbies and fashion a covering for them? Once I know that, then there are many ways you could DIY a nice facade!
    Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 1:20AM
samsamyd
So if you sort of, kind of like the storage, what about new doors, hinged to lift up. That would give you a single surface per cabinet (one door instead of 2) on which to either paint something pretty (mural), decoupage pretty pictures (of your travels?) or work up some fake stained glass (painted glass) if you go for glass insert doors.

All that said .. I did like your idea of fabric covers with interesting rope trim...just figure out how to pull that across the room -- like onto a pillow on the bed, or the headboard...so it's not just in one place
    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:14PM
sally78
I think you would be better off, appearance-wise, to remove the cubbies (sorry) and look for another storage solution at a garage sale---something larger that sits on the floor and would offer much more storage--something you could paint an antiquey cream color and look at with enthusiasm… There a bargain garage sale pieces, friends with pick-up trucks, and better answers to storage…

(Sorry---I see value in almost hopeless objects and I like to use what I have, too, but sometimes it's better to admit something won't work and start over).

Best of luck to you : )
    Bookmark   June 8, 2014 at 8:31PM
Outdated kitchen needs a quick fix!
We are selling our home in the next few months. We...
Kyla
Need help with ugly concrete porch
I'm doing a major renovation on my 37 year old ,tiny,...
lakehouseredo
Family room needs some creative ideas!!!!
Trying to update the look of my Family room. I just...
ycelinag
Ugly awkward narrow pink bath
This is the only bathroom in this soon- to -be ours...
crowinghen
Weird corner. Need creative ideas!
Hello, I moved in my new condo my couch fits in this...
crispboston
What pillows should I get.
What color/ style pillows should I get to go with the...
mjyofee
Family Room Ideas
We are set to close on this house next week. We actually...
Sharon
Help finish decorating my living room!
We recently finished a major remodeling, enlarging...
cjhp22
Need help chosing paint colors for open floor plan
We have an open floor plan in which the family room,...
Kim Myerscough
Should we paint our wood trim, paneling and cabinets white to update t
My husband and I just bought our first house which...
snappvl