Help- will my entrance be out of scale.
elainesm
I am going to bump out my kitchen 6 feet in front of my house bringing it up to the existing facade to the rest of the house. I will add a portico to the facade for the front door. If I put my front door at the 6 foot new wall, my interior entrance will be 10 1/2 long and 5'10 inches wide. Is this going to feel too long and narrow like walking into a tunnel?? I do have a 4 foot piece of furniture and large painting that I will be putting against the wall. I live in California so weather isn't a critical factor . I am stuck on this issue and need help. Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Elaine
photos of your entrance would be helpful.
May 18, 2013 at 5:24AM   
elainesm
Thanks for offering to help.. i hope these are helpful.
May 20, 2013 at 2:05PM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Besides what the new Entry Hall will feel like, you need to be concerned about how this new push-out will look like. It is the front door and the first impression as your home relates to the street and guests as they arrive! I suggest you work with a local design professional to "dial-in" the look and feel of your new front door. Check out houzz "professionals" in your Metro Area.
May 20, 2013 at 3:56PM     
Your exterior, now, is great, classic. Is there another wall which you can bump out to give you the space you need for a new kitchen? I would not change the front of your home to get 6'.
May 20, 2013 at 4:55PM     
elainesm
thanks for both comments. The typical and least expensive remodel is to bump out the front with my galley kitchen. . Otherwise, the kitchen and entire floor plan would have to be remodeled which is neither in my budget nor my patience for such an extensive remodel. I have settled on a designer after months of interviewing designers, builders and architects. The typical approach in my area for this issue is the bump out with the portico enhanced with architectual details. I spent months and months interviewing builders and architectural design firms for suggestions for the roof line and facade. I know exactly what I don't like but when it comes to the actual placement of the front door, should I recess it a couple of feet to give it some depth or leave it flush to rest of the facade? thank you again for reaching out on this project
May 20, 2013 at 7:16PM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Working with a design professional they should provide a sketch on how this is proposed to look. It would help to see what the intent is. Usually I like to see a recessed front door to provide protection from the elements, not just rain but sun can be a problem when it beats on the door. If you have any design drawings it might illustrate to us houzzers what you are asking us to respond and help you with.
May 20, 2013 at 7:23PM   
Is there anything that can be done to hide an unsightly ceiling?
I have cathedrals ceilings in my master bedroom with...
Type of granite edge for island?
I am building a lake house, and will have a 10' island...
Ceiling drop (Fur Down) Creating a Lighting Issue
I am in the process of completing simple updates on...
I Need Help Designing My Bedroom
I'm a military child and we are buying a new house...
Declutter Challenge! - August 2014
I don't know about you, but I have several areas in...