Need help with exterior and landscaping
nbehler
It's a typical split foyer. No architectural details. We're on a budget and don't want to overspend for our area. My thoughts were a portico on the outside and maybe a tree on the left side of the house to take away the box look.....I would love window flower boxes but the over hang on the roof prevents things from getting watered. Eventually maybe update the siding?? Colors??
Rockin' Fine Finish
Mossy green and black shutters cream or white trim
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:24AM
soberg
Window boxes could be on a drip irrigation system with a timer. I like the moss green siding idea. Brick typically looks better offset by darker colors.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:46AM
incensed
I would build an arbor that runs from just left of the door all the way to the right edge of the house. ( Put a clear corrugated plastic roof just where the doorway is.) Plant a vine and train it to crawl over the arbor. Do NOT use wisteria as the roots will harm your foundation! In the center of the sided, overhang area, I would plant a weeping cyprus ( or pine? I'm not sure what this tree is but it is an evergreen that the branches slope downward and droop at the ends. These trees are beautiful and it's vertical height will help to fill in the void between the windows and take away from the house overhang. Add some color around the front entry by making you planting area extend a little more down the walkway. Fill in flowers and plant that gradually get shorter as you get closer to the street.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:54AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
How about a clematis ?
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:58AM
incensed
Clarification on sidewalk planting beds: stand in the street looking at your house...about two thirds the way up your walkway draw a V or a U that gets gradually larger toward the house. Fill with an array of annuals and perennials that get gradually taller as you get closer to the house. I would also extend the bed in front of the overhang to incorporate new tree and many more shrubs and flowers of varying heights.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 8:00AM
incensed
All I know about clematis is that they have deep roots, require regular watering and some varieties need to be severely cut back to improve blossom count. Some varieties leaves turn purple in late summer which would a little something extra during that season! You could match this with another tree on the left side of your house that does the same thing!
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 8:10AM
incensed
Thundercloud Purple Leafed Plum has red leaves in summer that would go nicely with your brick. The leaves turn purple in autumn. I would plant this closer to your curb or half the distance from the house to the curb on the left side of your property near the property line.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 8:16AM
nbehler
Do you an example of the arbor? These are some updated images. We do have a tree in our front yard but I think I need one to the left of the door at the end of the house?? The Thundercloud Purple Leafed Plum sounds beautiful.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 9:07AM
Rockin' Fine Finish
]

This home is different but has the kind of brick you have
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 9:18AM
gain253
I would paint the entire house including the brick in either the green with black shutters or a taupe with either a darker taupe shutter or black. Add a pediment above the door to dress it up.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 11:39AM
incensed
I would add one to the left of your house simply for color and depth. I was using the Plum as an example for what to use with the purple Clematis to spread that color around. I would still use a weeping pine up near the house centered between the windows along with a mix of small shrubs, grasses, flowers, etc.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 4:44PM
incensed
It's called a Weeping Cyprus! ( not pine! Silly me)
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 4:47PM
incensed
I'm sorry I don't have an example of the arbor but...shape it like an upside down L with the long part of the L starting just to the left of the door. The other leg of the L should follow the right edge of the house down to the ground. It will bring out the recessed front portion of your house.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 4:58PM
Help I need landscaping and exterior help :-)
My husband and I purchased this house and we are almost...
Need help with my family home exterior and landscaping ideas
I am planning on doing some exterior repainting (façade),...
Need help with landscape design & exterior makeover!
We recently bought this 1930's brick home and have...
Need help with exterior paint and landscape
Having a terrible time trying to find good paint/trim...
Looking for slip cover for sofa and chairs
Sending pics ....sofa seat cushions are just square...
Help! Feminine Home office needs color and excitement
This is a photo of my home office currently. I'd love...
1920 Craftsman - PLEASE help with Paint Color for Kitchen/Sitting Area
My 1920 bungalow renovation is going well. (Thank...
Yes or No-rug
This is my 2nd rug purchased. And I'm still not jumping...
Have you ever sold a home as a "For Sale By Owner" transaction?
I've never been brave enough to go it alone when selling...