Kitchen Help. I have a budget to do a backsplash and cosmetic things...
Danielle Lyn
I have been told this is no the ideal kitchen, the cabinets need to be extended to the ceiling, etc. For now that isnt an option, as much as id like to paint these cabinets white and extend them to the ceiling that would cost about $3000 to paint them and $1000 to extend them(we just bought this house). What are little cosmetic things I can do to it? I was thinking about a backsplash? I just painted it Revere Pewter by BM and added in pendant lights
Danielle Lyn

I like this backspalsh? I think i would go nice if we ever do change the cabinets white?
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 5:48AM
Danielle Lyn

or moving the cabinets up a little bit then putting some molding like this across the top?
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 5:53AM
Danielle Lyn

or build the top of the cabinets myself so it looks like this?
3 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 6:10AM
0825sam
Having lived with a horrible kitchen for three years before putting in my dream kitchen, I would save your money towards the professional painting, cabinet to the ceiling. I don't think I'd try to coordinate a backsplash to cabinets that are not what you really want. Personally, i would probably do a different backsplash in a white kitchen vs. what I would choose with those cabinets. Either way I would remove the granite splash when you tile the backsplash.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 6:16AM
0825sam
Clarification- I like your cabinets (nothing like my horrible kitchen) I would just choose a different backsplash for those cabinets than a white kitchen. For example I love a marble backsplash with white cabinets but I would not put that with those.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 6:22AM
Ann
I think I'd leave it as is and spend a bit of money on a few brightly colored accents - something like lime green and turquoise. If you choose to place anything decorative above the cabinets, make it lean, repetitive and well planned (like in your "modern kitchen" post above) using only your chosen accent colors.
My following examples aren't as close as I wanted because many involve colored cabinets, etc., but I think you could achieve a similar "pop" with just a few well chosen accessories. Since you already have the short granite backsplash, I'd probably not add to it and consider removing it in the future if you tile (as sam0705 said). It's fine as is though.
[houzz=Kitchen Designs by Ken Kelly Kitchen 6]
[houzz=Dandelion House]
[houzz=Hudson Road Residence]
[houzz=French Country Kitchen]
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 6:46AM
Ann
Again, as sam0705 says, I like your cabinets as they are too. Your kitchen is actually a terrific plain foundation to have some fun with.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 6:49AM
Danielle Lyn
I think I could like them this color but they need to extend to the ceiling that's what bugs me the most. I would like to paint them white, I think! I guess I wish I could see them white first.....lol too bad it doesn't work like that
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 7:19AM
0825sam
If you do keep the cabinets I think I would choose something a bit more monochromatic than the stick mosaic with the high contrast

4 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:23AM
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:24AM
Sonshine Staging & Design, LLC
If you are wondering about the mosaic backsplash looking good with a white painted cabinet down the road, I'll try to attach a kitchen we completed last year that has that similar look and feel!
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 7:29AM
decofriend
Adding a few well chosen large decorative items above the cabinets will fill the void you now see. Pretty dishes are easy to find... A grouping of large pitchers, chargers/platters, vases/bowls all in white or colors you will be using elsewhere in the area. Home Goods is my go-to store for inexpensive accessories. Also notice displays in stores. Have fun with this!
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 7:43AM
lbelmona
For the backsplash I'd pick something calm with a little contrast in it. Then take your hues from the backsplash to scatter accessories and to choose hardware for the cabinet doors. You can also pick the wall paint from the lightest color of the backsplash.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:57AM
Danielle Lyn
If I were to remove that granite the little backsplash that is there how would I do that? I wish we could just paint the cupboards ourselves but I'm very scared to do so! I'm considering trying to do the decorative bowls and plates so that maybe we don't have to buy the little cupboards for above
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 10:33AM
collettec
I would consider finding a great roman shade with some color/s that you like for the window and then painting the walls a color from the print - something other than a neutral. With the neutral color walls all you focus on is the cabinets and I think a color would help draw attention from just the cabinets.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 10:59AM
CDR Design
Danielle,

I agree with Sam and Ann to some extent. I would do a few cosmetic thing now and then save up until you have the money to do the kitchen right. I have posted on your other discussions and know you have a lot to do in the house.

Here is why I say wait

1) The small granite backsplash has to go to really make it right.
2) You want to do backsplash, but you also want to reach the cabinets to the ceiling, but you don't have the funds to do it correctly now.
3) You really want to do this right, because kitchens are a huge ROI for a house
4) The sooner you do the kitchen, the sooner it will outdate it self, so save this project for last and do it right.
5) You really should live in the house for awhile to make sure you are doing your kitchen right.

Right now, for very little money you could

1) Change light fixture (done)
2) Paint (done)
3) Change the can light over the sink to the pendant light that complements the island lights (similar but shorter)
4) Add a Roman shade (hang it about 2 " from the ceiling to give a sense of height.
5) Change the hardware on your cabinets to something darker and more interesting
6) Change the electrical plates to blend in with the Revere Pewter or paint them.
7) Buy some battery powered puck lights at Home Depot or Lowe's (no wires and they are meant to stick on surfaces). Place them on the top of your cabinets for uplight. (See how you like them....you can always take them back). It will give the illusion that the ceiling is disappearing.
8) Instead of 7 or in addition to it, buy some large pottery pieces (all the same color....maybe even the same shape, depending on how minimalist you want to be) and place them above the cabinets.

When you have the money, you can do the backsplash right, and the cabinets right. You can add what you really want and need.
2 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 4:42PM
Danielle Lyn
I agree were just going to wait.....We have the puck lights we put them under the cabinets and then realized that with the new pendants we got enough light. So ill try to put them up there, we kept them because we figured we would put them in the cabinets that we want up there. I went to home goods today to find some plates or vases or something but nothing yet. I struggled with the decision to wait but we have so much other stuff we need to do that its OK to wait....
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 5:49PM
Danielle Lyn
lbelmona I love that second backsplash!!!!! hopefully its around next summer when we plan on doing the kitchen......
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 5:50PM
Danielle Lyn
We are going to do the kitchen next summer. I do need to see how the floors turn out anyway before I make any decisions on the kitchen.....We aren't doing our floors until 4th of july when we can be out of town (with our dogs). Dogs and poly, not a good mix. I have so so many other things to do. Painting my front door, make my headboard, etc. I dont need another project right now :)
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 5:53PM
Danielle Lyn
Cdrdesign.... I asked above but how do I get that granite backsplash off? I hate it! I will wait until we're ready for new backsplash but its like stuck on there good!
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 6:02PM
CDR Design
You will be able to successfully remove it. I would wait until you are ready to remodel. The backsplash is applied with silicone to hold it on and then there is a bead of silicone applied to the top and also where it meets the counter.

I would take a boxcutter and slice both beads. Then, use putty knives to stick down the back to gently pry. You might have more success if you start prying where there is a stud (more support). Be prepared that you are going to be tearing off wallboard (no way to avoid that). You may be able to patch the drywall or, in some cases, you may have to replace some small sections.

There may also be some silicone solvent on the market. You could check at a home depot type place. I would think you'd have to wear gloves for that and maybe face masks.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:02PM
CDR Design
When you do your floor, you may want to consider moving that island. Just know that people like large kitchens and having a "breakfast bar" is huge!!!! Buyers love them.

So, as we spoke about in another post, moving that island toward the sliding door area is a consideration. Later, you can change the top to a half circle on one side, if you want to.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 7:07PM
Danielle Lyn
Dh does not want that island moved, he is admit. The contractor told him he doesn't think it would look right in that spot and now he won't even think About it
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 8:02PM
Danielle Lyn
He is more open to the white cabinets now though which makes me happy!
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 8:02PM
papaneko
You said you wish you could see those cabinets in white first, right? Well, here's a rooough idea. Hope it gives you some hints.

Personally, I do like them better in white.
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 9:22PM
las8
Would this backsplash be an option? Good luck!
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 11:34PM
CDR Design
The white cabinets look great with those white appliances.

However, cabinet colors come and go in style. White tends to be a color buyers either love or hate. For resale, though, the color of cabinets you have (maple) is the most timeless and they look to be quality cabinets. Your best bet would be to stay with the original shade and eventually replace the appliances with stainless steel.

When you eventually complete your kitchen, you could add some more bling to it by making that side cabinet area into a wine bar/coffee bar or you could extend the visual footprint of the kitchen by adding cabinets on the walls where you enter into your family room.
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 3:45AM
Danielle Lyn
Papaneko- umm thank you so much that was so kind and very helpful! I think this may convince the Dh that they do need to be white!
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 4:05AM
Danielle Lyn
Yes the resale is why the Dh does not want to paint... I hate them but with backsplash I think I would like them maybe.......the problem we are having is the company who makes those cabinets doesn't make smaller ones for up top and they couldn't find maple to match
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 4:08AM
nancy22032
What is your favorite color? Not just the "in" color but one that makes you feel good when you see it. (Please not beige or gray but the color of your favorite dress etc.) . Paint the walls a light shade of this color - you will no longer be so bothered by details like the height of the cabinets or the granite backsplash. There's lots of good advice above - cdr design & collettetec are right on. Use some decor
items that go with the wall color - just do what makes you happy. Paint is cheap, easily done and redone as your desires change.
2 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 4:14AM
CDR Design
Danielle has already painted the room Revere Pewter, as she notes above.

Danielle, I think if when you do the backsplash, you go for a sort of silver/bronze shade with some bling, it will bring in the color of the cabinets as well as the gray paint and black granite. You can also go with something more pewter only and still look good.

[houzz=Carol and Tony Vaz -retirement village]

[houzz=Maple & Bamboo]
1 Like   May 19, 2013 at 5:17AM
Danielle Lyn
OHhhhh i love that second one!! It makes me feel like I can make this ugly maple work when I see that!
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 6:18AM
CDR Design
Yes, see how the second one bring in both the tones of the grey (paint and the black countertops) and the brown tone (cabinets) together?

I like the first one also. I gives you and idea of what it would look like. I do not like how they chopped up the tile, so in this case it doesn't look good, but it gives you the idea.

People today want to paint their cabinets. I think, a couple of years from now, they will be sorry. They will be stripping the paint off. That is what I predict.
1 Like   May 19, 2013 at 7:17AM
Ann
I like that second one too. I like the maple better than the white for your kitchen after seeing the picture of how the white would look. I also wonder if white will be a passing fad - I'm not sure it has staying power like the stainless appliance trend has/does.
1 Like   May 19, 2013 at 7:18AM
Danielle Lyn
Yes the Dh agrees he would really like to keep the maple
1 Like   May 19, 2013 at 7:34AM
Danielle Lyn
He also likes he idea of instead of expanding putting windows there instead
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 7:36AM
CDR Design
Danielle Lyn. To ultimately make it look good, I think you will want to go with Stainless steel appliances, but that can be done over time.

Question: what do you mean by "instead of expanding putiing windows there instead"?
1 Like   May 19, 2013 at 7:44AM
Danielle Lyn
Above the cabinets that are current there he wants windows ill try to find an example picture on here
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 7:52AM
1 Like   May 19, 2013 at 7:54AM
CDR Design
Nice idea. I wonder what the cost would be though?

If you do that, it would look really good to have cabinets above the areas where you cannot put a window. The cabinets would mimic the windows. (See how they did that in your above photo above the frig.

Whether you do windows, cabinets or combo, you def need cabinets over your frig. See how it look awkwardly large open space above it?
1 Like   May 19, 2013 at 8:07AM
Danielle Lyn
We would still do extended cabinets on interior walls but he loves the wooded view! That was hard to find where we live!
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 8:10AM
Danielle Lyn
Yes we do! Why would they not put cabinets there!!!!
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 8:11AM
CDR Design
I love the idea.....as long as you are doing it, of course you should replace window above sink to same height as the new windows.
1 Like   May 19, 2013 at 8:13AM
CDR Design
Answer to your question: there are people who put in commercial frigs that are very high and then cabinet has to be removed.
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 8:15AM
Danielle Lyn
Yes we would have to replace the current window I wanted one with the built in blinds there anyway.....I hope houzz leaves discussions up on your profile for a year so many good ideas!
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 9:07AM
Danielle Lyn
I would like a bigger window but then we wouldn't have room for the cabinets and the contractor said we could put the shelves in(I'll find a pic) but I don't know how potential buyers would feel about that.....
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 9:08AM
Danielle Lyn

like this kind of
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 9:10AM
CDR Design
I am speaking of the area ABOVE the current window. You could do several things:

1) As in your photo above, new window would actually be a little less in height, to make room for new windows above
2) New window would be greater in height, so that the top of the window would reach the top of the new windows. Do you know what I mean?
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 12:34PM
Danielle Lyn
Yeah we are discussing the cost of the windows with the contractor tomorrow
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 12:38PM
Danielle Lyn
https://www.google.com/search?q=penny+on+big+bang+theory+kitchen&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#biv=i|0;d|CcCpGLGnHc8NsM:. See the end of her island is like a shelf we have an over hag off our island I wonder if I could do this too!
1 Like   May 19, 2013 at 12:58PM
Danielle Lyn
Overhang sorry auto text
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 12:59PM
CDR Design
shelves in above pic:

I am not getting what this has to do with window and I do not think most buyers would like it.

Overhang: yes, you could put shelves under overhang. You don't have much depth. What types of things would you want to place there?

Also, you need to be thinking of:

-trash drawer
-place to put dog bowls
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 1:10PM
Danielle Lyn
Nothing to do with windows I just thought it looked neat
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 1:50PM
CDR Design
I like the photo of open shelves above, but not in place of cabinets. Some people freak out over glass doors on cabinets: "Now I have to keep everything neat."

You can use the idea, however. I think it would be a good idea to visually extend your kitchen over to the entrance of your family room. I also think it would be a good idea to do a selling point for your kitchen.

You could accomplish both by some of these ideas:

-use your floating shelf idea, but hang them on the walls on either side of entrance to fr. Below would be cabinets. Place tile behind the upper portion. You have now visually extended the area of the kitchen.

-place a sitting or walk-up little bar in same area. To do this, you could do anything from as small as a cut out on each side to removing the entire portion of the upper walls. People love little bars like this. I would place the seats in the fr side.

-make that lonely counter area by the frig an eSSpresso/coffee bar and/or a wine bar. You could put a small built-in wine cooler in place of one of the bottom cabinets. You could raise the granite to bar height, by placing wine bottle holders between cabinet and granite.

-wine cooler in island is another idea.

These are just some ideas to get you thinking. You will have to weigh what you really want in the kitchen as well as bling for resale.

[houzz=Divine Kitchens LLC]
[houzz=rossington architecture][houzz=Shingle style home in Hanover NH]
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 4:47PM
Danielle Lyn
I like the idea of making that a coffee bar!! I really like that first picture
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 4:50AM
Danielle Lyn
I wish I could do something NOW! I'm not patient lol but the bedroom still isn't done, ill move there when I'm done with the great room
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 4:52AM
CDR Design
The best way to do an entire house is to see the house as a whole, so there is continuity. However, psychologically, it is better to do one room at a time. There is a sense of accomplishment when that room is finished. Also, you are not all over the board.

However, there is nothing wrong with gathering ideas for future rooms, as you find them. I think doing the kitchen last is smart. Think about all you want. What about the inside of the cabinets. You can do a lot of after-market stuff like adding drawers inside the cabinets, if there are not any now. You will be happy you waited to know exactly what your needs are.

Yes, that would be nice to do a coffee bar! Imagine the possibilities!
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 5:07AM
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Excuse the interruption, You can't put windows above the cabinets there needs to be a header and you ceilings are not high enough. Have you thought about crown molding on the cabinets?
1 Like   May 20, 2013 at 5:24AM
Danielle Lyn
Yes we have thought about molding but there is 13 inch space from the cabinets to the ceiling so the contractor is the one who suggested the windows I just found a picture
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 8:18AM
K.O.H. Construction Corporation
Hmm! I wonder what he was thinking. There needs to be a header to carry the weight of the ceiling joist and drywall. Regardless, the ppl here at Houzz have given you some great ideas. Good luck and try to enjoy the process
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 1:20PM
Small loft not working
We just moved in and the furniture I had planned to...
Need paint color ideas
I am looking for paint color ideas for my living room....
Drape-gate
Due to a Houzz issue and amount of comments on the...
Help please
suggestion on how to decorate those empty walls? Still...