What colour paint???
klopez777
Hi, I'm having a really hard time deciding on a paint colour for my master bedroom. the headboard is taupe with silver nailheads and bedding is navy blue and white. I'd love to achieve a rustic elegant look by adding barn board style furniture and accesorizing with some bling. I already have a glass chandelier hanging and plan on getting lamps with a glass or silver base. any suggestions?
karen paul interiors
I'm posting an inspiration room with a dark gray/navy wall. It is Beluga by Behr. Another one is Polo by Ralph Lauren, which is a little less gray than the Beluga. Photos can be deceiving so you can pick paint chips in this family and try a few.
May 18, 2013 at 8:19am     
klopez777
thanks! I will definitely look into those
May 18, 2013 at 9:40am   
leelee
First, get your bed upgraded to something much more elegant and interesting. You've got a crystal chandelier...that should set the mood for the bed linens. Find a comforter/duvet that you love and get your wall colors from that. The navy & white doesn't work with your beige headboard and bedskirt.

You're also going to need some night stands and lamps on both sides of the bed. Navy is one of the hardest colors to work if you're trying to match navy to navy...

Think about something like this...
May 18, 2013 at 3:33pm     
Aja Mazin
Your bedding screams college dorm room.

I agree with leelee.
May 18, 2013 at 4:09pm     
BeyondFrames
How does it sound Black fox from SW , white bedding, decorative pillows and linen curtains ?
SW7020 Black Fox
You could also use mirrored night stands with distressed wood to match the chandelier or crystal base table lamps on the night stands.
Or just built yourself some "u" shape consoles to use as night stands and use some beautiful storage bins underneath.
Or if could find demilune consoles to use as night stands.
I'd go hunting Thrift Stores
Dresden Mirrored Console
Emmerson Console
May 18, 2013 at 4:18pm     
karen paul interiors
klopez, just so you understand the use of the colors I suggested, you are NOT trying to match the navy. You are going into something deeper and more toward gray. The girls are correct in that you do not want to attempt to match the Navy. Your bedding will be just fine and it will not scream college dorm so long as you follow through with an upscale and casual look such as the photo I posted. Good luck! :)
May 18, 2013 at 4:21pm     
May 18, 2013 at 4:52pm   
Ed
Hi Klopez, Here's BeyondFrames' suggestion -- Sherwin-Williams
SW 7020 Black Fox --
May 18, 2013 at 5:18pm     
Ed
Hi Klopez, Here's Genevieve's suggestion: Sherwin-Williams
SW 6524 Comodore and SW 0055 Light French Gray --
May 18, 2013 at 5:25pm   
Ed
Hi Klopez, here's combining Karen Paul's and Genevieve's suggestions: Sherwin-Williams
SW 6244 Naval and SW 0055 Light French Gray --
May 18, 2013 at 5:30pm   
Ed
Hi Klopez, Let's try something darker than Naval. Sherwin-Williams
SW 6992 Inkwell and SW 0055 Light French Gray --
May 18, 2013 at 5:34pm     
BeyondFrames
or grasscloth wallpaper

May 18, 2013 at 5:45pm   
LB Interiors
What about paler blue walls? Add your bling and your rustic touches. I like the yellow or soft gold accents. I think this is sophisticated and you can mix your casual elements.
May 18, 2013 at 5:57pm   
BeyondFrames
with white bedding ( Ikea has some options) you could take other turns, maybe
With some vintage gold accents or brushed silver
Vintage Charm 1455 Paint
Espresso Bark CSP-390 Paint
Woodcliff Lake 980 by Benjamin Moore
May 18, 2013 at 6:19pm   
karen paul interiors
When I was looking up the Commodore, I found another one that is muddy enough to run with the Navy.... assuming you keep your current bedding.
May 18, 2013 at 6:26pm     
BeyondFrames
This navy blue is one that I see to be gorgeous with this gold.
Or check Polo Blue BM http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/poloblue
When deciding for the paint it's always a good idea to ask which is the undertone of the color you'd like ( for instance Approaching Storm above looks a bit purple on my monitor ) and try a color sample on your wall and see how it looks in daylight as well as night light before painting the entire wall.
Hale Navy HC-154 Paint
Rondo Gold Cutlery, 5-Piece Set
May 18, 2013 at 7:39pm   
Lkristine
I am sorry to say this, but your description of what you would like your room to be, doesn't coincide with your bedding. You could add an area rug that has a rustic appearance too. This is just to give an example, but really, you could do whatever colors you like and make a perfect combo of glam with a little bit of rustic.
May 18, 2013 at 7:49pm     
klopez777
thank you all for the suggestions....Ed your photos really helped. I am really liking black fox, inkwell and approaching storm. Karen, I checked out Beluga today but it looked nearly black on the paint chip. I never thought about mixing a grey tone with the headboard and navy but Ed's photos helped me visualize. I am just starting on this project, still a long way to go. As for the bedding, it doesn't look so great in the pic but the thought on that was to keep it more casual for my husband's sake, LOL. I need more accent pillows to dress it up a bit.
May 18, 2013 at 8:15pm   
karen paul interiors
Beyond Frames is correct about undertone. The last one I offered does have a red base and the Hale Navy has a green undertone. It is of utmost importance to try on the walls first. Also, if you know which direction your windows face, that will give you insight into which base you will need. If it is North, then a purple/red undertone is good. If you are West, then an green undertone is best. Test and look at your colors in all lights and times of day.
May 18, 2013 at 8:18pm     
Ed
Hi KLopez, you're very welcome! Look forward to photos of your new bedroom. :)
May 18, 2013 at 8:58pm     
leelee
I'm sorry, not trying to be mean, but your bedding does scream college dorm room. It looks suitable for a young boy. You should look for a new comforter/bedding then pick a color for your walls. Don't "paint yourself in a corner" by picking a paint to go with that comforter. I think you'd be amazed how much better your room and headboard would look if your went with something more casual chic. It doesn't have to be stuffy looking or off-putting--You don't need flowers and ruffles for your husband's sake but you are going to spend money and time and you need to get it right to have a pleasing outcome.
May 19, 2013 at 8:14am     
klopez777
no worries, I can take the criticism ;) I wasn't sold on the duvet either but thought it would balance the feminine touches I want to introduce and not feel stuffy. I like the last photo you posted leelee :-) I should have went with white bedding to go with blue walls since my plan was to have blue in the room...I went about it backwards. time to start shopping again....
May 21, 2013 at 9:36am     
Andrea Prasch
You have some great suggestions here! I agree with changing out the bedding. I think a white pin-tuck would be just gorgeous and go with that rustic luxe look you are trying to achieve.
May 21, 2013 at 9:44am     
Andrea Prasch
Some more ideas!
May 21, 2013 at 9:49am     
klopez777
oooh! the pic with the barn board is exactly what I envision....with some shiny accents! thanks Andrea!
May 21, 2013 at 10:07am     
Andrea Prasch
Perfect! How about some mercury glass lamps?
May 21, 2013 at 10:20am     
Phase Five Interiors
I agree with the Vintage Charm 1455 or Black Fox SW7020 paint colors. I lean more towards the Vintage Charm because it's such a rich, calming color that will add a touch of elegance to the room. Also, if you are keeping your bedding consider adding 2-3 euro shams with a small pattern to add some height and more texture against the upholstered headboard. Good luck!
May 21, 2013 at 10:43am   
klopez777
I live near Toronto, ON Canada...any idea where I could get barn board furniture? I'm guessing I may need to consider getting it custom made....
May 21, 2013 at 11:01am   
May 21, 2013 at 11:09am     
What you are looking for is reclaimed wood furn. It's vey popular. Many stores carry it now. Google it. As far as paint need to go a deeper color. Try Pewter by Benjamin Moore a soft blue gray. Would be great, give you the rustic look you are going for.
May 21, 2013 at 11:10am     
0825sam
West Elm ships to Canada - there are some reclaimed wood choices like this Emmerson collection. http://www.westelm.com/products/emmerson-6-drawer-dresser-g721/?cm_src=rel
May 21, 2013 at 11:30am   
Just all white bedding. shams white with navy border. Careful blue like red can over power.
May 21, 2013 at 11:38am   
leelee
Do you have a Nadeau furniture store in your area. They sell that type of furniture cheaply.
May 21, 2013 at 1:42pm   
Wood Floor Stain?
My house is grey, the cabinets are grey, the front...
Hoping I am making the right decisions in my upcoming reno.
Wondering about installing a dark charcoal gray porcelain...
Design my small living room
Need some help designing my oh so tiny living room....
How to hire a contractor? Should I hire a contractor?
So there are several projects that I"m going to need...
Living room TV wall
I feel like the wall behind my TV is an eyesore. I...