1/2 of my living room needs help!
annaliseh
The other end of the room has a fireplace, the couch is facing the fireplace & I have 2 comfy chairs on either side of the fireplace. I have no idea what to do with the other "half" of the room. I thought about a chaise in the corner but there isn't enough space. I like having the chest to hold keys, drop things when we come in the door, plus it's a sentimental item. I have a ghost chair & a small lucite chair but I can move them somewhere else in the house. Help!
More pics please.
May 18, 2013 at 8:33am   
annaliseh
Sure-- thanks!
May 18, 2013 at 8:42am   
Both halves of the living room are nicely decorated.
May 18, 2013 at 10:47am     
Show pic looking at firepl. How long is room? Can't get. Idea of scale of rm. but, I will say too much furn. Remove china cab. Place chest on wall. With pic by window. Leave pic on back wall push sofa agains wall. I think. Not sure of room depth. You have chairs etc that need to go. Place end table with lamp next to wall . Is palm real. If so replace with much bigger silk palm in big ceramic pot place at other end of sofa. I may change my mind on this when I see other end of rm.
May 18, 2013 at 11:26am   
Add floor lamp next to sofa in corner with silver rd table with a larger plant on it in front of it. Keep lamp u have on chest there. You need area rug. I would go a silver gray shag 8 x10. Change pillows to a red in drapes, black and gray mix it up in size.and shape. Coffee table. Are you planning on buying new furn? If so would change things.
May 18, 2013 at 11:32am   
Like paint color. Floors are great. Take pic of chairs. What is rm used for?
May 18, 2013 at 11:33am     
Nancy Walton
The ghost chairs do not fit the style of the room, better to have a small, armless upholstered slipper chair angled in corner with lamp on other side of chest. Agree with travis, the palm looks skimpy. Better to have nothing at all than skimpy. Put a wooden dining chair with armas next to the chest on hallway side, or lush plant there. I agree, china hutch doesn't belong in living room, maybe library sheleves? I'd love to see other end of room, do you have an area rug? If so, maybe needs to be larger.
May 18, 2013 at 11:35am   
Palm might be too big for that wall you could go bamboo. Tall.
May 18, 2013 at 11:35am   
Nancy Walton
I do like your color scheme and other decorating, the drapes are magnificent with the print next to it.
May 18, 2013 at 11:36am   
existential
So where is a pic of fireplace wall? Incomplete picture for us. Thx
May 18, 2013 at 11:36am   
Center chest on china wall. Ok to put in front of intake vent. Just leave a small space. Instead of pic I said before leave where it is and buy a big round sunburst mirror. Place over chest.i like pic on back wall and would look good over sofa. Place a palm next to chest to fill in wall.
May 18, 2013 at 11:40am   
studio10001
With your current furnishings, all that is needed is a console table at the back of the couch, and a healthier vertical in the corner.
May 18, 2013 at 11:48am   
annaliseh
Thanks everyone! Here's the other direction. The hutch is there because we don't have a dining room (previous owners combined it to make a huge kitchen). I thought about painting it a fun color or white, but my husband likes the wood. The room is long and relatively narrow. I agree the palm is in sad shape, I need to get rid of it! this is our "formal" living room, we use it to play games with kids, to chat/cocktail with guests, to read by fire. We have a separate "TV" room that's much more casual.
May 18, 2013 at 12:42pm   
Keitha
I think your room is lovely and all that you really need is to get rid of the palm and don't replace it at all. Also get a console table to go behind the sofa as studio 10001 suggested and you should be good to go! I think you have enough glass/lucite pieces in the room. I would like to see a wood tone for the console table.
May 18, 2013 at 2:03pm     
carolins
Lovely room. I really like all your furniture pieces, a nice combination of different styles and materials. I think that part of the room feels empty to you, because you can't really see the chairs.
I usually agree with studio10001, but in this case... I wouldn't add a console table behind the couch. An empty one would look... empty and then you'd need to put things on it and before you know it you'll have created a real border between the two halves of the room.
I would just put a small oriental rug behind the couch. Like a kilim.
May 18, 2013 at 2:29pm     
warholsuperstar59
Have you considered moving the sofa back? If you moved the furniture and rug away from the fireplace, you might find yourself with a more unified sense if space. I would also let go of the ghost chair. If budget allows, get a pair of slim upholstered chairs. Get rid of plant. Get new rug. Unify color scheme. Add some pop. A beautiful room you have!
May 18, 2013 at 3:04pm     
kcshenk
I think your room is very nice. I have a similar layout in my home and have decided to go with 2 small scale upholstered chairs with a small table between them.
May 18, 2013 at 3:13pm     
annaliseh
I know the wall color is Benjamin Moore but I can't find the can.... it's a gray that looks a bit green in certain light
May 18, 2013 at 6:10pm   
annaliseh
I originally thought about a round table with 2 chairs - I like that idea. I guess I'd have to find another spot for the chest...
May 18, 2013 at 6:11pm   
Ann
I like the room as is. The only things I'd do are - move the games inside the cabinets and spiff up the two top shelves and bottom right shelf - the other shelves look nice. I'd lower the pictures a bit on the walls to the right and left of the shelves (especially the one on the left). I like the palm but I'd put it in a much larger pot. I'd move the chair to the right of the chest over to the right a little so it's not right against the chest. I like the idea of a wood console table behind the sofa. That's the only thing I'd consider spending money on and it's not bad without it. Very nice room!
May 18, 2013 at 7:06pm     
Ann
Oh, also, the chest is VERY nice, please don't move it!
May 18, 2013 at 7:08pm     
The room is not so big you can have two areas. I would do as I suggested before push sofa back to wall pull rug to about 7" from front of sofa. Bring chairs towards sofa. Across from each other. You might get a bigger square coffee table. 36 x36 or bigger,put both silver tables on each end of sofa. Since you want to keep china cabinet, are you sure?? Center china more on wall. If room add big plant on one side. Change pillows.
May 18, 2013 at 7:16pm     
las8
I love the ghost chair and the antique chest! I would put a small pillow on the chair and a small rug in the space to define the space. I do think the palm is best if you place it somewhere else.
May 19, 2013 at 7:18am     
tennisanyone
I would move the china cabinet where the small chest is and remove the two ghost chairs too and everything else in that corner. I would open the doors on the china cabinet once you move it and use it as a bar, wine glasses, wine rack, so that this space can also function as an adult space. Not sure how old yours kids are but if old enough to get into it,then a lock is necessary just to be safe. Right now the chest, chairs are not useful in this space. Move the couch and chairs back like AVS suggested and move the two silver tables next to the couch. You might want to consider a small table to play games on.
May 19, 2013 at 7:30am     
warholsuperstar59
Just choose one of the portraits. They compete with each other when placed in the same room.
May 19, 2013 at 2:46pm   
Need help with my 8 1/2 X 12 1/2 family room
Does have a bay window which is the only window in...
Need help for my living and kitchen room "2in1"
It's a room of 350 long with 225 width.I need to organise...
I have this much room above my stove 23 1/2 to 30 1/2, what size ?
What size would look good? and im looking into getting...
Need to update my kitchen, laundry room and upstairs 1/2 bath
Kitchen including cook stove and oven are 42 years...
Help - exterior of home
I am trying to get ideas to update the gingerbread...
Thoughts and/or suggestions on my updated nook?
I previously posted, asking for some direction on what...
Exterior color to complement red-orange brick
We need to replace some rotted trim wood, so we have...
Storybook tudor: new roof/trim/paint colors?
We just bought a 1929 storybook and need a new roof....
We cannot find a rug to save our lives.
I even switched up the sofa and added new pillow, curtains....