How to make the couches work?
Laura
I have two forest green couches that are terribly outdated, but I'm a student on a budget and they were free. I'm looking for ideas to draw attention away from them in the room and make the space look more updated. I'm renting so any permanent changes to the room are out of the question. Ideas?
bmatthia
Buy some neutral cloth (these couches are small, you may find a good deal on the "remnants" table at any sewing store or general merchandise store that sells cloth) or (if you can spend a little money) get a pre-made slipcover (they sell on Overstock or Ikea or . . ., they csan be as cheap as 20 bucks a piece); if you are good with sewing and crafts, you could even consider making new permanent covers for the couch (not too difficult if you buy upholstery pins/ nails and have a second person to help you). Those things go a long way...
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 8:58AM
creeser
A throw and some pillows. A cream throw folded and laid in the center with some bright pillows that bring out the colors of your artwork.
[houzz=Black + White Office][houzz=Soledad Alzaga Interior Design][houzz=Mt. Shadows]
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 9:20AM
apple_pie_order
Your artwork is contemporary or modern, the sofas are country. The best thing you can do is cover the sofas with slipcovers. Or just ignore the mismatch in style by going for an eclectic look. For eclectic to work, you need to carry through a color scheme. So: add a couple black pillows (to reference the black picture frames) and a black throw.
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 9:36AM
Laura
Thanks for the great ideas! What colour would you recommend for a slip cover? I'll definitely follow through with the coloured pillows idea.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 10:26AM
bmatthia
I would go with something neutral, maybe the same as the curtain (if you like bright colors)--or you could pick up a color from the pictures on the wall (if you like it a little bolder). A darker green could also work.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 1:19PM
carolins
Neutral slipcover would be your best choice I think.
2 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 1:25PM
KShoa
Slipcovers are your best bet. Get off white ones and make sure they're washable.
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 1:45PM
LB Interiors
You may want to try the right art piece placed in the center of your grouping. I think it's a better balance for the three of them.
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 1:49PM
Get two (per sofa) white table runners and run them down the middle of the back pillow, tucking it in a bit behind the seat cushion and over the cushion itself. Then four great pillows and a rug under the coffee table.

0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 1:51PM
carolins
Or just the biggest throw that you can find, or two that you absolute love (don't have to be the same, but have to sort of match each other) and throw them over your sofa. Ikea, if you have one near you, is a great source for things like that. Or Walmart?
0 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 2:04PM
Keitha
I have heard of people using painters dropcloths as slipcovers!
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 2:08PM
carolins
Keitha, brilliant!
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 2:09PM
Keitha
Carolins, since you think I'm brilliant I think I will "Follow" you....LOL. Actually, I was thinking that I was already following you but realized it was Carole that I was following. I love Carole's comments so I'll just follow you both! :-)
1 Like   May 18, 2013 at 3:27PM
Laura
Thanks for all the advice! I am in love with the two last pillows that were posted! I will definitely try out some of these ideas :)
2 Likes   May 18, 2013 at 4:07PM
Kitchen cabinets next to white shutters
I have white shutters in my kitchen and they are right...
What recommendations do you have for furniture for supersized relative
Had trouble with chairs breaking, sofas breaking etc....
Need help for living room
I sincerely dont have a decoration sense. By using...
Need grout help
Bathroom floor and shower wall tiles are bright white...