Living room needs more cozieness.
Calvin Simons
My dad's living room is a bit boring... He likes White, grey, blue and silver. So that is what he has done in the living room. But it is to freaking cold and boring. The only two things that are blue are 3 candles and one off the walls. Does anyone know how to make this living room cozier? We can not change the furniture and the lamps and the couch because they are new.
Jessica Ogg
a nice blank canvas! The blue wall is great, I would play off of that. Lots of natural light which is perfect because it opens up the space. You need pops of color and accents of blues, yellows, etc. I would play up the blue though because of the painted wall. Try a colorful area rug, pillows, lamp shades, and some photos or paintings above the television. A nice shelving unit about the TV would be nice too. [houzz=Maine Retreat][houzz=Living Room Chic][houzz=Kid Friendly & Fabulous][houzz=Yaletown Loft][houzz=Creekside Residence][houzz=Adelson]
May 18, 2013 at 11:47AM   
Jessica Ogg
And the curtains! Needs bright bold curtains! Good luck, can't wait to see the "after" pictures!
May 18, 2013 at 11:48AM   
Calvin Simons
Thank you Jessica! I will say this to my dad. =)
May 18, 2013 at 11:51AM   
nwduck
Good advice. A graphic rug with color would help immensely for starters. I am curious, though. Is that a giant helicopter mural on the wall?
May 18, 2013 at 12:36PM   
Calvin Simons
Not an helicopter, but an fighter jet we don't know what kind it is.
May 18, 2013 at 12:40PM   
Barnhart Gallery
Calvin -- What IS that aero-insect behind the couch? Boring? Not unless it's a boring beetle!

Dad seems to be a blast, but shy of color. And I think that's okay; it's not as though his space has no wow feature. It has SuperFly going for it.

I almost wish he had a photo mural of sky instead of the plain blue -- that's where SuperFly likes to be. I think a cloud-like flokati would go a long way to warming up the floor, and maybe some flokati pillows to snuggle up with.

I know more cold steel is not what you're going for, but Restoration Hardware's Blackhawk collection is made for Dad.

Perhaps his tv wall could also display a collection of old props -- plane propellers. Let me see what I can find...I'll post again...
May 18, 2013 at 12:48PM   
Calvin Simons
Barnhart Its an fighter jet. He has some things of airplanes because he is a pilot. And he is not a big fan of fluffy things, sorry
May 18, 2013 at 1:01PM     
Barnhart Gallery
...or maybe you take a can of spray paint, and paint/blur the two lines in the sky that you see after a jet flies by. :)

I love these lamps on sale today at Overstock: http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Industrial-Adjustable-Studio-Tripod-Floor-Lamp/7516217/product.html

plus maybe this blue one from etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/94520216/modern-blue-metal-adjustable-floor-lamp

You have a cool dad! (Whoops, I see we cross-posted a bit, but here it is anyway -- cursor over to see.)
May 18, 2013 at 1:19PM   
nwduck
Neat graphic! I think what Barnhart is getting at could also be thought of as texture, where not everything has a flat smooth surface. I hesitate to mention something like baskets to men (as I live with a houseful who are not fans.) Let's just call it a "woven tray" on the coffee table to collect remotes. You can get texture and color with pillows as well.
May 18, 2013 at 1:24PM     
studio10001
May 18, 2013 at 1:25PM     
Nancy Hehmann
I think the furniture is great! The mural is truly unique. Have you run some of the ideas past your father. I do Think an area rug with some of the blue from the wall would look good. Rugsusa has tons of selections. Also a glass vase from Blenko in that color would look nice. They hand blow glass and have a website. I am sure you could call them. Another idea would be a modern silver framed mirror on the blue wall would look great!
May 18, 2013 at 1:35PM   
radianyce
Like images.
May 18, 2013 at 1:39PM     
carolins
Right... I like your dad's style. Nice and clean and modern. Nothing wrong with that.
As for adding a bit of coziness to the room... I'm thinking that dad needs a rug. I mean a shaggy rug. Even if he doesn't like fluffy, I'm sure he'll appreciate it once it's there. Something like this:

(ignore the added coziness of the bowl)

And some art for the blue wall.
May 18, 2013 at 1:40PM     
How old is Dad? Did he fly a chopper? Service? Great room. Definitely, carolins shag rug for the room.

Kubus Fabric

Premier Prints Suzani Fabric, Black Stone/Denton
May 18, 2013 at 1:42PM   
Barnhart Gallery
One last "out there" thought. Clad the tv wall with horizontal corrugated tin and barrel vault it up onto the ceiling. (Thinking hangar, texture, play of light.)
And this fan: http://www.lampsplus.com/products/52-inch-casa-vieja-debute-brushed-nickel-ceiling-fan__m2473.html
May 18, 2013 at 1:52PM   
Play off turquoise wall. Get a turquoise shag rea rug. Add pillows with the turquoise and black pillows on sofa. A fun throw in shades of gray on chair. Add some silk palms in corners.
May 18, 2013 at 8:00PM   
By the way I love this look. Great colors. Looks like a guys place.
May 18, 2013 at 8:01PM   
las8
I like his style! What about simple window panels, and a natural fiber rug, or chevron rug? Good luck!!
May 18, 2013 at 10:57PM   
las8
Window treatments like these classic panels.
May 18, 2013 at 10:59PM   
paintingjaime
Rugs, throws, pillows, and curtains. All different patterns with same color palette.
May 19, 2013 at 5:28AM   
Need help for my living room to look more cozy..
I have the blank wall.. please suggest me what should...
please help me to make this living room more cozy and...
defining and seperating living space in Great Room to make more cozy
Hi, We just bought a new place with a a fairly large...
Making room for curtains? What are rules for window treatments?
I hate how my builder put my windows right next to...
Need advice on kitchen
Which comes first?? Kitchen cabinets or flooring??...
Any ideas on renovating to improve this entrance-way??
Low roof line and so close to the ground....what could...
Need advice for enhancing a very plain facade
Our house is very plain and boring. We are looking...