Beige has got to go! Ideas for wall paint welcome...
Iris Dickinson
Just moved into a new home and there is "builder's beige" everywhere! Needless to say, we've got a lot of painting to do throughout, starting with our family room. I'm leaning towards teal accents in the room, but am open to suggestions. Thanks houzzers!
LB Interiors
I like this room wall color and accents.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 10:15PM
Live Beautiful Designs
Are you wanting neutral or are you looking for bold and exciting? What is the primary use of the room? Who uses it the most? What direction do the windows face? What part of the country do you live in?
    Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 10:46PM
las8
Here are some ideas! Instead of the green shade you can try to find a wall color of your choice:) Good luck!
5 Likes    Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:25PM
las8
Another thing! Can you center the coffee table in front of the sofa, and maybe add a floor lamp?
    Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:28PM
Iris Dickinson
Room faces East-Northeast and is the living room/family room; there will be a flat screen hung over the fireplace. I have a 4 year old, who is careful with the furniture. We don't have any pets (yet), otherwise it's mostly adults hanging out in the room.

I tend to go for more neutrals, with pops of color. This room opens to our breakfast nook and kitchen that has dark wood floors. Kitchen cabinets are dark brown. I'll try to post other pictures to give different vantage points.

For the walls, I'm thinking about a mural of a tree with family photos in the "branches" - I'm an amateur genealogist so I have some cool sepia and b&w photos of my ancestors. Not sure whether I'd want that on the back wall behind the sofa or the side wall behind the love seat, though. If that's too over the top, I could do an accent wall with the photos organized in a gallery.

Want to get 2 more side tables (that don't match the existing ones, that would be overkill, I think) to go next to the accent chair and next to the other side of the sofa. Perhaps 1 more chair near the loveseat, but not sure what style would work?

I have blinds, so wouldn't need to get window treatments right away, but would love some drapes with perhaps a geometric pattern to give some interest.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 5:37AM
daveyola
farrow and ball makes a color called "skylight" that is like a gra blue but really more of an elegant pale blue with gray tonality - we just did our whole entry, hall and living room with it and it looks very nice, warm and crisp without being distracting, and it matches everything
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 6:02AM
karlaal
I would get the drapes first, then pick a paint color that works with them.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 6:21AM
tammtoo101
Maybe you could add some colourful cushions to really liven up the room
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 6:30AM
BeyondFrames
Congratulation for your new home! With your start and ideas I think you are going to have a beautiful living room.
I'd choose a warm grey for the walls.
When shopping for warm grey make sure that it's undertone is yellow /brown. For cool, crisp grey blue undertone .
Benjamin Moore® Ben® Paint, Ozark Shadow AC-26
Benjamin Moore® Ben® Paint, Coventry Gray HC-169
SW6183 Conservative Gray - Sherwin-Williams
Shale 861 by Benjamin Moore
Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter HC 172
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:17AM
Iris Dickinson
wow, thanks for those suggestions! I'm really liking that warm gray look - i'll get samples to put up in the room to see how they look with the light.

Also, i was thinking something along this line for an accent chair - would it be weird to only have 1 in the room? I could get 2, but then that would be 3 side chairs. i would pull off the houndstooth pillow that's on the accent chair right now and put it on this chair, then get some teal pillows to put on the chair and sofa to tie the pieces together. i also am drawn to coral, and these ceramic garden stools are all over the place, but would teal and coral be too obvious?
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:30AM
carolins
Hi,
You're already happy with the colour suggestions you were given, so that's good.
I picked up on your family tree idea: have you seen the ones on Etsy? Lots of ideas for you here: http://www.etsy.com/search?q=family%20tree%20decal&order=most_relevant&view_type=gallery&ship_to=ZZ

For my personal taste it would be too much. I like the idea of a family tree, could see a tree decal on the wall, but would perhaps rather have narrow picture shelves mounted straight above each other with the photos displayed. But that's up to you of course. I think it is a really nice idea to have a family tree in your room, in whatever form.

About the accent chair; why? Do you need extra seating? I don't think it fits with the style of furniture you have and it will probably stand out too much. Even if you add some blue/teal pillows. (I have to go, but will be following your thread with interest.)
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:39AM
BeyondFrames
Coral and teal is a great combination and it could be bold and obvious BUT it can be warm and soft when carefully chosen. What I mean by that is that if you can find some teal pillows or throw or something with a little bit of coral in it ( embroidered pillows maybe) and have just few coral accents ( vase with flowers) , you can easily keep coral and teal and still delicate.
But , yes, I have to admit, I'm more on the grey - teal combo without adding any coral at all.

Here is another grey option that I love

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:47AM
BeyondFrames
Or just Beige - grey - teal

3 Likes    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:02AM
Iris Dickinson
great ideas! i think i may start out with just the teal, and then layer in bits of coral later as the room starts to come together.

Re: the additional accent chair; yes I was hoping to have at least 1 more seat. With the current arrangement, I have room for 5 folks, since most people don't choose to sit in the center of a 3-cushion sofa.

Also thanks for the decal link to etsy! I'd likely do that on the wall facing the fireplace so it's not so in-your-face when you first see the room. The cool thing is that the decals come in different shades. I would likely do light gray walls, then go just a shade darker (or even lighter, maybe cream) with the decal to get a subtle tone-on-tone look. would then have to figure out what sort of art/mirrors that i could put on the wall behind the sofa... so exciting to have a pretty blank slate to work with!
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 11:39AM
carolins
Okay, so you need an extra chair. For me the blue accent one isn't going to work with the rest of your furniture. I'm going to try and find you some examples that I think will be nicer. But the choice is up to you of course :-)
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 11:47AM
joniramsay
Okay, so you've got a blank slate. That's a wonderful place to start! What do you like? Do you have any artwork that you are thinking of placing in this room? When I am looking to decorate a room I need an 'inspiration'. Either its a piece of artwork I love or a fabric I love or an area rug, etc. Then everything stems from that. So my first suggestion to you is go shopping either in your own items or out and fall in love with something. It can even be a piece of pottery that you have had for years that you've never been able to part with. Then, we can build from there. And it may be that the room stays a neutral paint color but that the accessories, pillows, window coverings, throw, artwork all pull from that one object. A good design concept will always start from 'something'. WAsk yourself, "whats your 'something'?"....
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 12:29PM
Genevieve
I'm not a fan of beige ,I like colours so I have found this shade of blue for your living room

Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 12:39PM
LB Interiors
I think maybe any gray walls will be too blah with taupe beige sofas. A warmer taupe color as in your furniture might be nice. Accent with contrast brights. Just my opinion.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 1:33PM
Iris Dickinson
i'm getting really drawn to teal/peacock... maybe I could do an accent wall in that color if doing all the walls in the room in something like Revere Pewter would be too bland with the furniture. Maybe accent the wall opposite the fireplace, if I do drapes like these ones.

I like the suggestion of finding an 'inspiration piece' - I'm going to try and find some art that has the color and see if i can play off of any colors in that too!

For the accent chair, i wonder if would just be easier to get a second chair that matches the first one I already have and just play with the pillows...
4 Likes    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 2:41PM
LB Interiors
I love teal too! The accent wall should be the fireplace wall as it is the focal point of the room. That would mean some other drapes other than the ones you posted, but you could go with a print with teal accents.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 2:45PM
carolins
That last idea is a great one! (about getting the same chair that you already have)
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 2:46PM
Iris Dickinson
hmm, since the windows are on the same wall as the fireplace, I probably shouldn't have teal drapes in front of a teal wall, right? then i would lose some contrast...
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 2:47PM
LB Interiors
Yes, not teal drapes on teal wall. It would look too heavy, Integrate your paint and accent colors into a choice for a drape fabric. They can be a solid color, I just wouldn't choose teal. Some other solid color or stripe combination with teal accent for the fabric in the room.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 3:09PM
LB Interiors
I would choose an accent chair in a color. More interesting for the room. The chair color will be determined by what are your first choices for other elements. You may start with a rug, or wall color, an artwork or a bowl or a special accessory. Your room will start building from whatever will be your first choice.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 3:11PM
Iris Dickinson
Thanks LB Interiors - i love those drapes from Urban Outfitters - and so reasonably priced too! I had posted a chair earlier in the thread in teal, but maybe need to find a different style chair in that same color (or a pattern so i don't have all these solid blocks of color...)
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:24PM
LB Interiors
You're welcome! Solids and more than one pattern will work. A pattern for a chair would be fine with other patterns. If you choose a couple of patterns for your room, just keep them somewhat different in scale. Mix both solid and pattern, I feel it's more intersting and provides visual texture.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:28PM
LB Interiors
More DwellStudio Peacock Pillow, Azure://www.houzz.com/photos/3525838/DL-Rhein-Chrysanthemum-Robin-s-Egg-Embroidered-Pillow-contemporary-pillows Eclectic Decorative Pillows
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:42PM
Iris Dickinson
Maybe a chaise instead of another accent chair?
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:44PM
Iris Dickinson
love love love those pillows! :)
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:45PM
LB Interiors
As I'm looking at the fabric and these pillow choices, I'm thinking a teal accent fireplace wall and off white or very pale gray for the other walls. Room seems to be almost done. The other off white walls or pale gray will freshen and brighten the room with your darker furniture.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:46PM
LB Interiors
If you will use an extra chair for seating often, I would suggest an armed chair rather than armless. If you have the room for a chaise, fabulous idea.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:49PM
Iris Dickinson
Photo from different vantage point and close ups of the fireplace surround (dark grey with some veins of brown), plus the love seat and accent chair. For the other chair, should I try to find one that has similar shaped arms? What characteristics should I look for to make it "go" with the room?

Ps - sorry for the random toys, that was my daughter's attempt at decorating!
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:39PM
LB Interiors
Before you decide on another chair or chaise, I think you have to rearrange some furniture. The fireplace is the central point that is the start point. It's hard to say for sure but, the large sofa seems so far from the center of the fireplace. I'm not sure if there is more wall space on the other side of the loveseat? Maybe you can't do this.
Can you try this and post pics after.

The loveseat should be placed centered and opposite the fireplace.
Coffee table center of the fireplace but turn it around to have the length of it parallel to the large sofa.
You might need a larger coffee table to be accessible to both sofas.

I'm not sure if maybe you need only one chair or two chairs.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:55PM
kathleen MK
Before rushing to change the wall color , think how it will relate to the rooms that adjoin it. In open plans it's tricky sometimes to find a stopping place for a room's paint. The beige can become a backdrop to teal accents in pillows, throws ,artwork and drapes. These can be changed easily and seasonally.
If you have those beautiful sepia toned photos be wary of the grey trend. Those, your carpet and your upholstery are more brown or warm neutrals that would crash against cool greys. Think Bronze not Steel.
You could add teal (or other accent colors) in painted accent tables with storage. Turn the sofa or love seat so you can add a sofa table with baskets or storage ottomans for toys and throws.
A large plant in a teal glazed pot would also bring some life to the room.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 8:49PM
LB Interiors
I agree with Kathleen, the wall color you have now works. Add all the other favorites that you like to the room. This is still an option.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:12PM
Iris Dickinson
LB Interiors, the room is arranged as you had suggested already: loveseat is centered in front of fireplace, and long side of coffee table is parallel to the sofa. Here's a couple more vantage points...

As was suggested earlier, going with a warm gray with yellow undertones (griege) would probably be my best bet. Regardless of color change, I am going to paint anyway, since the builders have used flat paint everywhere and it shows scuffs and is hard to clean- everything is going to be repainted with eggshell/satin finish, so figured it would be a good opportunity to change up the color! Opportunistic painting, I call it! :)

I definitely hear the feedback about color choices in open floor plans: in my current home, the living room, dining room and kitchen all open to each other and I spent a lot of time finding colors that would transition well (my husband called it an obsession!), just figured to start in the family room because the way the room is set up, we don't have to paint any shared walls just yet.

What I did realize is where my interest in coral came from, I noticed the granite of the counter has some pink tones in it when I was taking pics from the kitchen! Not crazy about the granite (we didn't pick the options for this home), but have to work with it nonetheless.

Now have to wonder whether to start a different thread about color choices for the kitchen/breakfast noon, entry and dining room!! Are y'all tired of me yet??? ;) haha! Thanks for all the input, everyone!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 4:21AM
Iris Dickinson
Kathleen - great suggestion about the painted side table in teal, I need something next to the accent chair and want to work the color in elsewhere in the room... Off to scour the Internet for possibilities!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 4:27AM
BeyondFrames
When painting and decorating an open space like yours the key is to be consistent in your choices - paint, colors in general, style.
So, what I would do is take some time and plan ahead carefully.
To my personal taste , having teal in the cards, I would go for light warm grey paint for the entire open space. To add diversity and define the different rooms but still being cohesive you could use accent walls in living or dinning or both in rich, deep shades of grey.

I don't understand grey as being a trend but a timeless neutral with endless posibilities ranging from deep mysterious charcoal to the very light shade, almost white - off white, not to mention the role that the various undertones play and help change the grey .

I took a look at your Ideabooks and what I noticed is that you are drawn to grey tones, clean and simple design yet sophisticated and warm regardless it's transitional dinning or contemporary office.
Going for any shade of teal accent wall, teal pattern curtains or heavy teal/coral decorating is gonna take you far from that style. It's going to bring bold into your living rather that delicate and elegant. I'm not saying that going this way is bad or anything alike but it's going to save you a lot of time and energy if you take some time to daydream about the style that suits you . This is the reason why I posted above the different photos.
.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:59AM
BeyondFrames
this could be an option for an accent wall and a good backdrop for the family tree with sepia photos as this grey is a lot of brown.
Or check http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/sparrow

Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:26AM
BeyondFrames
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:19AM
Iris Dickinson
Those are gorgeous rooms, thank you for the inspiration!!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:21AM
LB Interiors
The photos that Beyond Frames posted are beautiful. I'm aware that they work well together. It's a matter of a 'feeling' that those color choices evoke. Those have always been an option. I know you wanted to see in photos what your options might be. All the suggestions posed were to help you to evaluate the possibilities. You currently have a softer palette. It seemed that you were wanting a spark to your decor by mentioning teal and a concern for maybe painting the walls less neutral. That is why I offered my suggestions above. I offered the suggestions for you to evaluate what may work for you.

From this discussion, and time for you to evaluate the suggestions, you seem to want to be a little safer which has always been an option. Sometimes even tho you may be drawn to certain design styles or color or feelings, doesn't mean that you need to stay there, especially when you were interested in a different direction. I know you are trying to feel this out. Hope I helped with your idea of adding some teal in the mix. It can be a subtle or bolder statement. Ultimately, you have to decide the 'feeling' for the spaces.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 12:15PM
BeyondFrames
How do you feel about this teal? Darker greyish teal instead of light blueish one?
Horchow
Large Oval Teal Platter No.14
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:23PM
GreenBox Art + Culture
Hi Iris, it looks like you're headed in a lovely direction with all this great advice. You have a beautiful home! You mentioned teal, and we've definitely got artwork full of tons of colors and styles (we license artwork from many different artists). Here are a few suggestions, but please browse our site for more options (in case we don't quite have your personal style represented below): Eli Halpin's "Manes of Color" http://www.greenboxart.com/store/manes-of-color.html and "Peacock - Metallic Tide Pool Blue" http://www.greenboxart.com/store/peacock-metallic-tide-pool-blue.html, or Jennifer Judd McGee's "Orbit" http://www.greenboxart.com/store/orbit.html, or Paula Prass' "Patchwork Landscape" http://www.greenboxart.com/store/patchwork-landscape.html You've already got beautiful things to work with as your starting point - best of luck!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:56PM
kathleen MK
Beautiful Rooms,Beyond Frames, they have layers of subtle warm greys(grieges) not the recent trend of cold greys i mentioned. I think these more neutral but complex color schemes fit Sepia prints better the bright accents. I would think any teal accents would need to be those very muted smoky shades. If the art was the bolder pieces from GreenBox the accents would need to be brighter colors. It really depends on what feel Iris wants the room to give. Either could be beautiful.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:05PM
Iris Dickinson
Was looking for some color inspiration and kept getting drawn to these palettes... I think I'm going towards a more "smoky" or "dusty" teal, more deep jewel than a bright pop
1 Like    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:51PM
LB Interiors
I like them a lot. Try to decide on what surfaces or on what elements you want to use the colors.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 9:10PM
Final Decisions for our DREAM KITCHEN- IDEAS WELCOME!
Hello. My husband and I are working with an architect...
Rachel Scheyer
Rug ideas to go with my light gray sofa and blue curtains?
My earlier post outlined the problems I had when I...
fredsmommy
Paint ideas needed (and drapes) for blue carpet/beige couch.
The carpet has to stay; the couch has to stay; the...
Karin Buehler Hamburg
The blue has got to go! Exterior paint color help needed please
Hi! We just purchased this home. Brick and cream siding...
redbellybird
Need help on front of house: paint, plants, beds or no beds......any ideas welcome!
We need some serious help for the front yard and curb...
hoffmanhaus
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
toatsmcgoats
What to do with my white bathroom???!?
I am planning on remodeling my master bath and need...
leftfoot120
Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and...
Erin
need help with bed room
bedroom has black furniture what color bed sheets go...
paulakaur
Retina burner
I was looking for a light airy color. I found this...
bg007