How can I mesh my formal eclectic Northern furniture with new home in Florida at the beach ?
swiftfan
For example, my living room furniture consists of a faded rose Victorian love seat and chairs, Egyptian leather ottomans, a wrought iron colonial candle holder converted to a floor lamp, handmade sewing table end-table, black tiger themed wing back chair, large oriental rug, etc. I want be practical with the hotter climate and more casual lifestyle, but I also love the stuff our family has collected over the years. I don't have a lot of money, but I am fairly handy. Any ideas would be appreciated...
(Sorry no pics but everything is already packed to move)
Mona Ives
Wow! Fantastic items - sounds like a job for a local Florida designer. They get transplants from the North all the time - and no doubt have to resolve these issues! So I would suggest you move, put your stuff in, and then call a local designer for an inexpensive 1-hour consultation. As them to give you some ideas of DIY projects or what types of things should stay, go, or move and what type of furnishings (new) you should be looking for to incorporate.
May 20, 2013 at 11:39AM     
carolins
Hi, sounds like you have a lovely collection of furniture. I did a search for you here on Houzz, typed in 'florida eclectic' and these photos came up. Hopefully they'll inspire you. Good luck with your move. May be a good idea to post your dilemma again once you're in your new home.
http://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic/living-room/florida-eclectic-
May 20, 2013 at 11:44AM     
swiftfan
I didn't know that you could just hire a designer for an hour consultation. That sounds like a great idea. I also enjoyed looking at the link posted by carolins :) I liked the mendi wall accents in one of the articles, which made me thinking of using Bohemian style accents and fabrics to brighten up my pieces for Florida. I also noticed that a lot of the pics used white walls to make the whole room seem more airy. I see all those white couched too, but my kids would destroy them in a day. Thanks!
May 20, 2013 at 4:29PM   
You can and you can also search houzz for some great ideas on what to do with your ecletic style. Paint ad fabric can meld anything.

May 20, 2013 at 4:42PM   
0825sam
Try searching the ideabooks as well

May 20, 2013 at 4:45PM   
What should we do with this outdated fireplace?
There are so many options out there but we're looking...
Need advice! My cats are shredding my beautiful Pottery Barn rug!
I spent months looking for the perfect area rug for...
Laundry or mud room??
I have a Laundry/mud room about the size of those narrow...
Which polyurethane finish for dark oak cabinets
What is the most appropriate poly finish for dark oak...
Need Help with Kitchen Design
We are remodeling the kitchen & adjacent living room(eventually...