Windoow replacement
armygirl1987
I live in Florida and my living room window just cracked when I was trying to open them. They did not shatter thank God but I suspect that I will need to replace it soon. Window replacement was on the list of things to do but looks like it will be sooner than later. Any help on what kind of question to ask, etc. What is impact vs hurricane proof or replacement vs new construction.
Hi Angela
Bummer about your window. What kind of window is it? Is it wood or vinyl? There is a regular Houzzer online who can perhaps help answer general questions - Fenstermann. Search him on discussions. All the best
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 12:39AM
armygirl1987
Feels like vinyl ASV and thanks for your response.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 7:31AM
armygirl1987
This is what the crack looks like
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 10:09AM
armygirl1987
Fenstermann, if you are out there I sent you a message to your inbox...
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 12:33PM
Scott Design, Inc.
Until Fenstermann shows up, here's some information. Hurricane proof is resistance to high force winds. Impact proof is ability to withstand "large missile impact" (flying debris such as boards, metal awnings, deck parts, etc.)

Replacement windows are put into the existing window opening once the "sash" (part with the glass) is removed. Very little of the window trim is disturbed. The "daylight size" of the opening is reduced somewhat.

New construction windows require the removal of the entire window unit starting with removing all of the interior trim, window insulation, etc. Then a totally new complete unit is put in place, insulated around the rough opening, and trimmed.

Now, this is where I'm at a loss...if you are in Florida, they may require you to replace the entire unit since the integrity of high wind and missile resistance may be compromised in replacing just the sash. This is where Fenstermann will have the info or another person from Florida.

If you go to the Andersen window website, they have educational information for the homeowner regarding technicals.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 12:53PM
armygirl1987
Thanks Scott Design checking them out now.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 1:27PM
armygirl1987
Scott Design not much information about removing trim but mostly about following the Florida Building code
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:03PM
armygirl1987
Any help out there on window replacement. I am reading and reading and still need some more information.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 4:16PM
Scott Design, Inc.
What are your other questions?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 5:06PM
armygirl1987
A lot of information of Florida Building Code in that as long as the new windows meet the codes but my question how will I know the windows are within the codes. I am assuming that there is a way to tell that the windows are. Or question just go for a certain windows.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 5:12PM
Scott Design, Inc.
I suggest you call your town building department and they will be able to tell you what windows are approved for your area. Reputable window manufacturers will have a label attached to the frame of the window and/or there will be testing information available from the mfr. that you can request prior to purchase.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 6:15PM
armygirl1987
That is a good idea Scott Design thank you so much, you have been really helpful.
    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 6:21PM
Scott Design, Inc.
You're welcome.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 19, 2013 at 9:08PM
armygirl1987
Scott Design, Inc.- I have a bunch of appointments schedule for this week and next week and so far one company has told me that they replace the whole casing and I will get completely new windows from top to bottom and that some company will try not to save money.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 11:23AM
Fenstermann LLC
Thanks for the message Angela, I am sorry I did not see your dilemma sooner. I hope PGT can help you with this. We have been out of the Florida market for a few years now. Best of luck, keep us posted.
Cheers
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 2:41PM
armygirl1987
I so much appreciated the call back it meant a lot and yes sorry that you could not help me. I did find a local office that supply PGT and will give them a call. Hopefully with the call to local office and insurance company I can get some better clarification. I am reading now about vinyl vs aluminum.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 2:48PM
Should we close in this living room?
We are purchasing this house with a beautful lake view....
Sue
I hate my exterior but love the inside!
Looking for some advice on how to help the outside...
mackiebischoff
New home upgrades
If you were building a new home and had 9 k to spend...
gordsc
exsisting pictures
How can I use some of my existing pictures in my new...
jmyers8672
Need help for my kitchen
I have this small taupe/grey kitchen and it is little...
Tia Mia
Living room Wall
I am not sure how to decorate this wall!! I want to...
thee5gees
Cost for remodel
What is a ball park for a laundry room remodel? I am...
mandyflanders