Tudor Style Home with Monstrous Garage Needs Exterior Makeover
imaheartnurse
We just bought this home and must change the siding due to improper installation resulting in water soaked tudor panels and belly bands. We're concerned that the Pacific NW weather may challenge even properly installed panels, so we are opting for more of a craftsman style.

There are two other issues that we would like to address when we do this work; the garage looks larger than the house and there is no front veranda that we enjoy, but also makes it obvious where the entry is. Of course, the cost of these projects is of concern, so we need to "get the most bang for our buck."

One of my solutions is to take out the single garage door and replace it with a wall and window to let light into the area that my husband will be making his shop and music room. There will not be a wall dividing the garage areas, so it will still be possible to utilize that space as a garage through the double door. This will diminish the appearance of the size of the garage.

Secondly, I am considering adding a timber pergola entry and veranda across the front of the house to bring attention to the house as opposed to the garage. Utilizing a brick, rock or tile flooring for the entry and veranda will also bring out the entry from the driveway.

The brick on the front of the house must be removed to put the moldings around the window and will be replaced with hardy plank to match the rest of the house... or I would like to take down all of the brick on the house and garage and replace it with a rock surface. I'm inclined to do that because the brick is not available any more and it seems as though the brick on the garage should have gone further up to the eaves. This, however, will add a fair amount to the cost of the project and is obviously a concern.

I'm interested in hearing your suggestions and opinions about our thoughts on how we can make this home look more like a craftsman home with hardy plank products, corbels, dentils and belly bands while we solve some of the home's present design issues. Also feel free to give us your ideas about colors, as we will be changing it!
mefor
If you blend the garage door in with the house more it won't look like so much of a "feature". It doesn't have to be a brick color, just something more subdued in the same tone. I wouldn't change to a single door, it's an expense that you might regret if you decide you do want access for second car down the line. Also resale might be more difficult if you change to single entry. Definitely draw more attention to entry area of house. A pergola would be great as well as a lighter color leading to door area.
May 19, 2013 at 9:33AM     
imaheartnurse
Thanks, mforr. The remaining garage door is a double car area; the one we are considering changing out is a single car door. Most of the homes in this neighborhood only have a double car garage, so we think it is relatively safe to consider that that the third car area would be used for storage for most people. There is also an area on the side of the garage for parking a boat or RV, so it may not be an issue when it comes time to sell it, but certainly worth considering!

We're looking at colors close to these. The windows are white vinyl, so will probably do white window trims. We are contemplating a new wood stain garage door to compliment the pergola. Your thoughts?
May 19, 2013 at 9:48AM   
meweeya
If you're going to leave it Tudor style, it should be a whit house with black trim. Every Tudor building in England are those colours and it looks great. If you're switching up to more of an Arts and Crafts style, change it up to be more earthy, that's what that movement was about; more organic and natural. So browns, latte colours.

And I agree with the above comment the doors just stand out in the existing colour pallet, blend them in.

If you want more light and a more appealing space for your husband that wall to the right of the door could be a wall of brick glass. Means its brighter in the garage but there is still privacy.

As for taking out the garage door...thinking about resale is valid, but if you're moving in and planning to stay for the next 15 years, who cares, it's your house and you should live in it the way you want...it needs to work for you! If you ever decide to sell way down the road, they may love the idea or decide to reconvert, either way it's not that difficult a project! Good luck!
May 19, 2013 at 9:57AM        Thanked by imaheartnurse
Audrey Hennefer
Hi Neighbor! I live around the corner from you in the brown house with the window boxes. I'm happy to hear you are considering changes to your home. I was surprised when the previous owners chose the color for the garage door etc. I thought it was too much of a contrast.
I agree with mforr about changing the garage door to a door and a window. Rather than that, consider changing the doors to ones with windows. I did that a few years ago, and it's amazing how much light comes into the garage. That would solve the shop lighting issue. I do like the colors you are considering.
I'll introduce myself sometime.

Audrey
May 19, 2013 at 10:00AM        Thanked by imaheartnurse
mefor
Staining in a wood tone would greatly deemphasize the garage. Great idea!! Of course if you remove all the brick from garage area too, then you don't want to emphasize the wood stain color against a lighter paint color. Conundrum!! Do you only want to use the butterscotch color in example pictures? I wonder if another color would be better with white trim, perhaps something in the green family? Will you include an area with the look of board and batten? Cedar shakes? Perhaps a mix of both of these with the hardiplank. You can get all those styles in hardi. Are your windows true divided light, are the grilles removable? If so, maybe remove the grilles from bottom sash.
May 19, 2013 at 10:07AM     
Steven Corley Randel, Architect
Consider the massing, shape, and proportion of your house to help decide what will work best. It is a Tudor in all those respects. Craftsman houses have different roof configurations and pitches than this house and that is not something you can easily change here. It is clear that the garage door color makes them stand out and simply changing them to a color that blends with the brick will help to reduce emphasis on them. Other than that the best advice I have is to hire a talented residential architect to help you.
May 19, 2013 at 10:18AM     
imaheartnurse
meweeya, thanks for the comments on the garage doors.

We stayed in our last house for 26 years and we are planning on staying here for a good long time. Our intention is to make this home what we need/want for that timeframe. It's likely that we may do many projects over the duration. I think that the previous owner thought the garage doors would blend in with the lower house color, but they seem to be quite prominent in this color scheme.
May 19, 2013 at 10:40AM   
imaheartnurse
Nice to meet you Audrey Hennefer!

We will be replacing the garage door with one with a bank of windows across the top, Regarding the present single garage, we are thinking of no door, just a large window on a wall that will make it look like the area is part of the house, rather than garage.
May 19, 2013 at 10:43AM     
imaheartnurse
mforr, The present idea is to leave the plank siding on the bottom portion, and seperate the second story with a large belly band with dentils. The second story will also be plank siding, with a belly band seperating the peaks of the house, which will be hardy shingles. Brackets will be used at the roofline, similar to one of the photos here, but only at the peaks and the ends of the roofline as the spans are not that large.

If we remove the brick, I would like to replace it with a complimentary color stone. The color scheme that we are contemplating are two shades of a warm beige (camel) white window molding and a brick color for the dentils on the light colored belly bands. Thoughts?
May 19, 2013 at 10:54AM     
imaheartnurse
Steven Corley Randel, Architect; Thank you for your input. I hear what you are saying about the pitch of the roofline. In looking at the photos above, these homes are not unlike other homes in Portland, both new and old. Do you think that it is possible to add the craftsman elements similar to the above photos without making this home appear mismatched? We definitely have to replace the tudor panels due to rot and we are fearful of using the same product in our environment, even if it is applied properly. This is a home that we intend to stay in until we must leave due to age. The intent is to do it once so that we don't have to deal with it when we are on a fixed income.

What would you suggest, as a talented architect? :-)
May 19, 2013 at 11:02AM   
mefor
I like the all of the ideas with perhaps the dentil detail in belly band, that's just personal preference. Would prefer it simpler. I think the camel color with white will be too stark. Perhaps if you are beefing up trim you could choose a light, bright ivory or cream color like BM Featherbed. I think that you won't notice that the windows themselves are white but the ivory color would be very complimentary to your camel, brick tone, stonework and stained wood for pergola and garage doors. I think that while it's wonderful to be true to a particular style of architecture, it's absolutely fine to borrow details and make your house more beautiful and your own. Can't wait to see some afters posted down the line.
May 19, 2013 at 11:08AM     
mefor
I do like the third photo, also just my taste for color.
May 19, 2013 at 11:10AM   
imaheartnurse
mforr, you hit the nail on the head... I'm concerned about the white windows and grids looking out of place if we use a cream color molding, which would be my preference. Our previous home had a dark color metal windows (late 1980's renovation) so it was not a concern like this is. I'd love to hear other's impressions of this issue.

Below are some visuals of thoughts for replacing the brick. Thoughts?
May 19, 2013 at 11:27AM   
imaheartnurse
Also, with regards to color... The Pacific NW has a fair amount of grey days and while the earthy colors are popular, we prefer something that is not dark, but rather light to brighten our grey wintry days.
May 19, 2013 at 11:35AM   
Audrey Hennefer
I love the idea of the stone! Also, the white trim will blend in better with the white fence. Right now it just screams "plastic". What condition are your windows in? Are they energy efficient? I replaced my windows several years ago and didn't want the grids. You'd be amazed how much more light comes in without the grids.
May 19, 2013 at 11:40AM   
imaheartnurse
Audrey, you are absolutely right about the white plastic fence! It even shines, but unfortunately for all of us, it is low on the list of priorities right now.

The neighbor to the north of us is replacing the cedar fence with vinyl in a redwood look. He asked us to participate, but given the siding issue of this house, it is imperative that our money be dedicated to that project first. The cedar fence to the east of the house has been near to falling in the past and may require replacement before the white, shiney fence, unfortunately. The best we can do at this point is to pressure wash that fence and thank the heavens that it is still securely standing. :-) My wish list includes a wrought iron fence around the front of the house to provide a means to keep the local animals from using our front yard as their potty and to provide a little security for the older people who will live here twenty years from now - us!

The windows are in good shape, one might have a seal issue, but that is not a huge ordeal or cost. They are double pane thermals, so they pass the test at the moment. At some point we may, indeed, take out the grids on the bottom portion of the double hung windows, but for now, they also are low on the list when it comes to where our finances are going.
May 19, 2013 at 12:00PM     
mefor
Love the more natural stone shapes, not crazy about square stone. If it has to be linear, I would prefer ledger stone. But really a naturally shaped fieldstone looks the best (in my opinion) . As always, preference.
May 19, 2013 at 12:09PM   
mefor
Check out the featherbed color, very cheerful for trim. My house is stone and the white trim that was here was very dead looking with it. I picked the featherbed color and it just pops. In a good way!!
May 19, 2013 at 12:11PM   
imaheartnurse
mforr, can you attach a photo of your home here, so I can see?
May 19, 2013 at 1:17PM   
mefor
Sure, very different from your house but you'll see what I mean about the color popping and not falling flat like the white did.
May 19, 2013 at 1:20PM     
mefor
Btw, there are white storm windows on the main part of house, you can barely see the white on the frames. The windows themselves are painted in the featherbed color.
May 19, 2013 at 1:23PM   
imaheartnurse
mforr, your place is lovely! I can easily see myself here. So, you really can't see the storm windows being white? It's hard to tell from the photos... Are the light shutters in the featherbed, too? I would prefer a lighter cream if I can get away with it. The featherbed looks just about right!
May 19, 2013 at 1:28PM     
imaheartnurse
Also, mforr, are your grids white, too?
May 19, 2013 at 1:31PM   
mefor
Yes they are the same color. Upper shutters are a black/green. The storms don't show, then again the frames aren't terribly wide. I'd prefer no storms but I wasn't replacing all the windows when I did the addition, rebuilt an old smokehouse and unexpectedly had to rebuild a barn thanks to a 200 year old mega oak deciding it needed to fall on it. It's been a busy few years here, but well worth it. Maybe if you get a small sample and paint a bit of wood to represent trim, somehow hold it to side of windows and step back for a good view, well back to get the real impression it gives to street view and walking up to house view. I don't think it will be too creamy for the white, but will look right at home with all the other colors you're considering.
May 19, 2013 at 1:36PM   
imaheartnurse
Thank you so much for all of your input, mforr! I really appreciate it!
May 19, 2013 at 1:40PM     
mefor
Thank you for the compliment!
May 19, 2013 at 1:40PM   
imaheartnurse
Looking at these cultured rock examples of what we are looking at. What do you think?
May 19, 2013 at 10:48PM   
mefor
Normally I'd prefer the lighter stone, but if you're choosing to match garage doors with a pergola in a wood stain, then I think the darker stone would look richer and be less of a contrast.
May 19, 2013 at 11:35PM     
imaheartnurse
Working on this house as I write this. The tudor style is being replaced with a more craftsman look; shingles in the gables, brick being removed for replacement with real rock. I'll post photos shortly.
August 14, 2013 at 11:35AM     
imaheartnurse
The result of the transformation of the Tudor to a more craftsman look with the real rock. Notice that one of the garage doors was removed and replaced with a wall and window to minimize the garage as the focal point. It's still a garage space for my husband's shop area, but it looks like part of the house. Now working on landscape design to incorporate a small courtyard in the front yard and accentuate the front entrance.
March 6, 2014 at 11:04AM     
asquithoatley
wow looks amazing! Colors choices, stone all look great. What a transformation!
June 21, 2014 at 7:23PM      Thanked by imaheartnurse
Looking for ideas on exterior painting for a Tudor Style home
The home was built in 1920 in Marblehead MA, near the...
Exterior Paint Color for a "Confused" English Tudor Style Home
We recently purchased a home in a neighborhood that...
Monstrous fieldstone fireplace needs makeover
Again this home was bult in the seventies ..in the...
Just bought a Tudor style home, Need Landscape Ideas!
This is a 1973 Tudor style home. The original owners...
Accent Fabrics
I have had a set of chairs covered in a great Ikat...
Will these choices work????
Went to Ethan Allen shopping for new living room furniture...
Home needs some life
My wife and i are in the process of purchasing a home...
"kitchen remodel" ????
"Kitchen Remodel" doN't know where to start :((
Foyer lighting
Does this large pendant look good as foyer lighting?...