HELP! I need help updating the facade of this old house.
Kaye Harris
We'll be tearing down the old awnings of course & replacing them with pergolas. After that we're at a loss.
mimabee
probably the location needs consideration but I would pick a California color for exterior to start.
May 19, 2013 at 10:50AM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
First its good to define the existing architectural "style" of your home then develop a "Mission Statement" for the exterior remodel. Yes step one is remove the metal awnings, Like right away! Then I think you are left with an attempt at "Streamline Modern Art Deco" style architecture. The flat roof, curved walls and glass block are details that point me in that direction. So if you decide to complete that feel, you might look at some photos in that architectural style. Houzz.com photos, "Modern" style will be ago is place to start your research. Also, a great book to view is: "A Field Guide to American Houses" by Virginia & Lee McAlester is a great resource!
May 19, 2013 at 10:55AM     
Kaye Harris
Thanks mimabee. We're in NOLA, so color is always anyone's choice.
May 19, 2013 at 10:55AM   
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Here's a couple examples of "Art Deco Modern" from houzz! Note the glass block, flat roof canopy covers, strong horizontal lines and the complete lack of metal awnings!
May 19, 2013 at 11:01AM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
I know it costs money, but adding a new flat roof canopy over the front door would be nice. Also, new all-glass front door, frosted or etched in an Art Deco design would be "signature" element!
May 19, 2013 at 11:04AM     
Kaye Harris
@ KPO, Great feedback, thank you. I knew the house was Deco, but hadn't thought about "Streamline Modern" or a "Mission Statement." And what are thoughts on roofing for the second floor balcony?
May 19, 2013 at 11:16AM     
JMS Atelier
KPO is guiding you in the right direction. The house is great, add some landscaping that is true to the style of the house.
Like your place so much, it will be the best in the neighborhood.
May 19, 2013 at 11:20AM     
ruthmand
If you want to preserve the style of your home, which I find very interesting, I would do something other than pergolas. Please take the above advice and look for something that would go with the Art Deco look of your house to enhance its uniqueness. Pergolas have an oriental "feel" that would not be very suitable to this style.
May 19, 2013 at 11:22AM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
@kaye, and posts above, thanks for positive feedback! Yes I think the "bones" of this house can be cool if you play the hand you have been dealt. Regarding riff over the balcony terrace and front door, I suggest a new flat roof canopy. I know that's more money then you might want to spend, but it would really take this home where it wants to go! Streamline Modern Art Deco all the way baby!!!
May 19, 2013 at 11:28AM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Not "riff" I meant to say "roof" sorry moving too fast!
May 19, 2013 at 11:28AM   
ruthmand
What would look fabulous, if you can afford it, would be bringing the roof on out over the entire upper deck and extending it on over, with rounded corners, to above the front door meeting, up again with the old roof line near where the dark line is on the plaster. But KPO's suggestion may be more reasonable.
May 19, 2013 at 11:40AM     
ruthmand
This might work for you. The second photo would be the type of roof with a finish/roofline like the first photo and rounded off to match your existing deck.

Old Meets New for Dutch Monument
Monument Hides Cool Design
May 19, 2013 at 12:03PM     
ruthmand
These photos are from an idea book that was just posted on Houzz of an addition to a home in Holland.
May 19, 2013 at 12:04PM   
Kaye Harris
Wow! Thanks to all for the great ideas! @ ruthmand, love the photos, thank you. Second pic is sort of what I had in mind for second floor. As the interior is almost a complete gut (entire kitchen & 2.5 baths $$$), funds will be tight for the exterior. At least for a couple of years.
May 19, 2013 at 12:11PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Remember the curb appeal! "You never get a second chance for a first impression"! Start with removing the metal awnings, then develop a plan for outside refinements and eventually you will get there.
May 19, 2013 at 12:18PM     
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Wow Carolina! Great pics! Notice all of the examples are "white" stucco except for Florida "pink"! Miami Vice!!
May 19, 2013 at 12:21PM     
ruthmand
Kaye, carolins just gave you access to an unbelievable array of photos! I am sure that you can pull something from there that will make your home look fabulous. As KPO says, take your time and stay true to what you have.
May 19, 2013 at 12:33PM     
Kaye Harris
@ carolins- Amazing link. Thanks!
May 19, 2013 at 2:29PM   
carolins
You're welcome :-) Hope you make this an even more amazing house that it already is. Good luck!
May 19, 2013 at 2:48PM   
tcufrog
If money is tight removing the awnings and painting the house white will go a long way until you can afford to do more.
May 19, 2013 at 3:09PM     
lc29
Just a thought, I really don't mind the awnings over the entry doors. If they are in good enough condition they could be attractive painted in an accent color to match whatever trim color you decide on. The large awning over the upstairs balcony distracts too much from the overall exterior design. If you want to save money in the short term keep the smaller awnings for now, they may not be original to the house, but are kind of a neat vintage touch. White with black trim, white with dark turquoise trim? Keeping the balcony cover free for a while may help you decide if you really need an awning cover.
May 19, 2013 at 5:41PM     
Ginkgo Leaf Studio
You've gotten some great advice so far; love your house! Consider simple linear plantings to help tie the house to the groundplane. Since you live in NOLA, some tropicals would look nice I think.
May 19, 2013 at 6:57PM     
apple_pie_order
A year later, how's it going?
August 25, 2014 at 6:40AM   
We need help updating our 3/4 bathroom in a hundred year old house
The bathroom is made from an old pantry. We have a...
Old house with an old (needs updated bathroom)!!
We bought an old craftsman style house in a historical...
Need help with front facade update
PLanning on adding on to back of this duplex, but front...
Need help to update wooden facade
We need to give our wooden house a face lift. Any ideas...
What color walls to match this crazy carpet I kinda dig?
Ok, bought a house today. Not looking to put a lot...
nedd help for my bedroom
i need help with the accesories
Corrugated Wainscotting - Love it or Hate it?
The walls in the corridor of my Californian bungalow...
How to hang artwork???
We have two matching pieces of art but would appreciate...