Kitchen wallpaper and colour. Do they match?
abbijo82
Hi we are about to install a modern ikea kitchen from scratch. We have chosen cole and son meditereanea wallpaper to have on 2 opposite walls of the room, and the farrow and ball colour India yellow on the other 2. Wallpaper will be on the wall with kitchen units under clear splash backs! The kitchen is a cream high gloss slab and we are relaying reclaimed floorboards. Can anyone else see how this will come together . What are your thoughts on the paint colour with the wallpaper and the contrast of modern kitchen with old floorboards?
PYRAMID DESIGN GROUP
Fun wallpaper and Good ideas-- however I think you might consider toning down the paint a bit--why not go less yellow, and a bit golder to more closly match the color in the wallpaper.
PyramidDG.com
May 19, 2013 at 1:15pm     
michigammemom
I agree with Pyramid Design that your eye catching wall paper should be the focal point with a more subdued yellow...perhaps something like this ocher wall color.
May 19, 2013 at 1:18pm     
carolins
Love it! The F&B colour could be perfect. You'll have to judge it on the spot. Difficult to know how a colour will actually turn out on the wall.
May 19, 2013 at 1:21pm     
Do you mean, actually, under a clear backsplash or below it?

The clear back splash may not stay clear once installed.

I am not crazy about two walls papered and two painted. I think it may make the room feel boxed in as both the paint and the wallpaper are quite strong.

And this comment is just my taste and I am not criticizing your choices at all. Both choices are great, but maybe somewhere else? I think the paper is more powder room looking and the India yellow is too much for me with plates of food.
May 19, 2013 at 1:22pm     
ruthmand
Two thoughts, love the wallpaper but, like judyg, not so sure if I would put it on opposite walls. Maybe on the end wall, if there is such a thing, and paint the rest. Also, be sure to try the paint color out in the kitchen before you paint the whole room. This color could look very dark. Good luck with your project and it looks like you are having fun with it.
May 19, 2013 at 1:42pm     
abbijo82
We planned to have a clear back splash over wallpaper... But haven't yet looked into the practicalities of sourcing one. I was sure I have seen it done in other kitchens. What do you mean it may not stay clear? I agree with your point about the colour being too yellow rather than gold and my choice was a more subdued colour. The ceilings are extremely low as the old floor has been levelled. Only 2 metres. I also have doubts about opposite walks being wallpapered and painted. But the wallpaper isn't cheap and perhaps too much on every wall? The kitchen also walks through a large arch into a diner which will use the same colours!!!
May 19, 2013 at 1:44pm   
abbijo82
I think you are right one wall may look better! The end wall with most units and then the parallel wall at the back of the diner. Any suggestions on colour of blind? Only 1 windowing kitchen. 3 beautiful sash windows in diner, which I think we will leave with no dressings just repaint all woodwork in a cream!
May 19, 2013 at 1:47pm   
carolins
Only one wall in wallpaper would be a good option. But without seeing the kitchen space, it's difficult to say which wall would be the best one for that.
May 19, 2013 at 1:49pm   
apple_pie_order
Great wallpaper choice. You might think about a single accent wall instead of two accent walls.

Do you have photos of the room as is and a link to the Ikea kitchen cabinets? What color are the reclaimed floorboards?

Clear backsplash could be acrylic or glass. There are different grades of plastic, some of which are softer and some of which will stay uncolored longer.
May 19, 2013 at 1:51pm   
abbijo82
Final product.
July 9, 2013 at 11:39pm     
carolins
Fabulous! Great kitchen and I love that wallpaper on the backsplash. Have you applied something over the top to protect it?
July 9, 2013 at 11:47pm   
glitzy
Gutsy choice for the wallpaper and you carried it off beautifully!
I also admire your choice of Farrow and Ball paint. It is very expensive here in the states and most people choose a less expensive alternative, but you can't beat the depth and trueness of their pigments. I think your kitchen looks fabulous! Beautiful job there, Abbijo!
July 9, 2013 at 11:52pm   
OnePlan
Wow !!! Looks fabulous !!! Brilliant and fun too !! Love it !!!!
July 10, 2013 at 12:14am   
abbijo82
Thank you. You are right about farrow and ball. We used their colours in 4 rooms and 4 we didn't. You can really tell the difference. Although we go to a decorators centre who will mix the farrow and ball colours (they don't sell it labelled as that) but they have the whole farrow and ball catalogue available on request. Much more affordable. With regards to splash back. Nothing up as yet, possibly going to just pit a piece of clear acrylic over the sink to save having to get it cut to size around plug sockets etc!
July 10, 2013 at 12:15am     
OnePlan
I think farrow and ball is worth the extra too ! They manufacture it literally 10miles from my home - still not any cheaper as they don't sell direct to local trade even ! Just one independant shop and now they are in Homebase etc too ! It's lovely paint to use !!
July 10, 2013 at 2:16am     
Lorraine Williams
Love these idea's, dont hold back just go for it trust your gut instinct.
July 10, 2013 at 2:24am   
Lorraine Williams
PS love the finished kitchen.
July 10, 2013 at 2:25am   
apple_pie_order
Looks fabulous!
July 10, 2013 at 6:19am   
Brenda
looks great! job well done
July 10, 2013 at 6:44am   
How to modernize?
This might be impossible! I've finished redecorating/redoing...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
How would you hang curtains in this room
Hi all, This room has not been updated in almost 15...
A very Large Living Room Wall (Length)
I have a 10 ft high x 20 ft long living room wall....
crazy room layout assistance
This is the living room I am moving in to, pictures...