Where to start
Susan Mama-Bear
I just purchased a wonderful 100 year old 5 bedroom house on 4 lots.. I am currently working on the front veranda and the yard, but when I start thinking about doing the interior, I don't even know where to start... Do you do this room by room or??
creeser
Walk through and get a good idea of what you want to do with the whole house, then start room by room. You don't want to remodel the kitchen, only to move to the dining room and decide you want to take down a wall. Get a plan. I'd start with the easiest rooms first, just so you'll have a point of refuge when tackling the larger projects.
And congratulations on the house! It's lovely and what a treasure to be on 4 lots!
May 19, 2013 at 2:01pm     
apple_pie_order
I agree with creeser. Make a list in each room. Think about what is most important to you. Rate their importance 1, 2 or 3. Do one room at a time if it is just decorating. If it's big ticket items such as HVAC or replacing pipes with copper, get some estimates.

If you need whole house decorating ideas, start collecting photos and take a look at them again in a month or a year to see what styles have emerged.
May 19, 2013 at 2:22pm     
Susan Mama-Bear
Would it make sense to start with the floors?
May 19, 2013 at 2:26pm   
apple_pie_order
It's hard to say if it makes sense to start with the floors because we have no idea what condition they are in. But if the whole thing needs paint and floors, then do both before you move in. It is much, much easier to do floors before there is so much as a stick in the house. Test for lead paint before painting anything.
May 19, 2013 at 2:30pm     
Susan Mama-Bear
gotcha.. thank you.. there is so much to do my head is spinning and I want it to be beautiful!
May 19, 2013 at 2:32pm   
creeser
I'd start with things like insulation and hvac first. Then consider windows. If they are loosing heating and cooling like water through a sieve, then change them out. If these are all good, then consider your wall placement. Any to take down or move? Personally, I would paint before putting down new floors. You don't want to mess up that investment with stain or paint.
When building a new house, it's framing and windows, plumbing, electrical, walls, insulation, sheetrock, paint, flooring and hvac. Basically. Perhaps the same plan could be used in remodeling.
May 19, 2013 at 2:38pm     
michigammemom
Congratulations! I'd suggest starting with a home inspection so that you can take care of structural or safety issues first...especially considering the vintage of your lovely home. You may need an electrical update or asbestos abatement as priorities.
May 19, 2013 at 2:38pm     
creeser
You've got a great start to making it beautiful. It looks in great shape. Is the interior as well maintained as the exterior?
May 19, 2013 at 2:38pm     
Susan Mama-Bear
the interior is aweful.. lol I guess I should tackle the electrical next then.. the plumbing has been done. It has a hipped roof I guess which means I can move all the wall around upstairs that I want, which is wonderful as 5 bedrooms and 1 bathroom is not what I would want to stick with. Every single room in this house needs to be redone, but oh the potential!!!!
May 19, 2013 at 2:45pm   
Susan Mama-Bear
the furnace is good and the roof is new. The siding is in good shape.. there are two wonderful fireplaces and it's all the origional slat and plaster inside. It used to be a rooming house.
May 19, 2013 at 2:46pm   
apple_pie_order
You can post some photos if you like. Michigammemom is right about the inspection.
May 19, 2013 at 2:48pm     
creeser
Are the fireplaces functional? Make sure you have them checked out. And if you haven't checked the electrical, then definitely, that's the first place to start. Then decide where you want to move walls next. You don't have to move all of them at once, but know where you want everything.
May 19, 2013 at 2:49pm     
tcufrog
If you have a 100 year old house I'd get it checked for lead and asbestos before removing or messing with anything structural.
May 19, 2013 at 3:00pm     
Susan Mama-Bear
it sounds like you have given me a good place to start.. and I thank you all for that.. I will get hold of an electric contractor to begin with.. and am playing with wall ideas in my head.. I have changed my mind so many times, it really helps to see what others are doing and get some good ideas. I really believe this place can be fabulous!
May 19, 2013 at 3:08pm   
creeser
I think it can be as well! Great house. Oh.. there's a tv show I wanted to mention that does nothing but old houses. It's called Rehab Addict. It's on DIY or HGTV or both. Check it out and maybe pick up some hints that will help you along the way.
May 20, 2013 at 2:36am     
Susan Mama-Bear
Thank you.. I am just beginning to understand that this isn't going to happen in just one summer.. but oh my what a passion this could become!!! :-)
May 20, 2013 at 2:51am   
creeser
By no means will it be just one summer. Remember this, all projects take twice as long as what you think they will. *L* Enjoy your lovely house and put your heart in each room.
May 20, 2013 at 4:11am     
I am about to start a kitchen remodel and I don't know where to start!
I will be replacing or refacing my cabinets, new counters,...
Where do I start to redo the living room walls? To fix holes an start
Holes in wall, needs plastered, paint an an don't know...
Don't know where to start. Where would you renovate?
This is our first home, and we have a few issues with...
Help with where to start
We are hoping to re-do our basement from basically...
Ideas to decorate the recess window areas
It is a very sunny area due to all the windows facing...
Jesse's kitchen - what kitchen would look good?
I'd love some ideas for a total kitchen refit, some...
Back splash and wall colors
What backsplash can you use with crema pearl counter...
Need help with flooring for our new hill country contemporary home
We like handscaped wood floors but not sure about using...
Front door painted black - brush strokes are too heavy
Wood front door was painted black 2 days ago and the...