Colour suggestions for basement ensuite
zig7
May 19, 2013 in Design Dilemma
Dear Houzz folk~

If you could help me with colour suggestions for this master ensuite that’s in the basement of our updated 1920s bungalow, I’d be very grateful. The room amenities are fine but the colour scheme and the vibe is way too masculine. I’m NOT looking for girly, just not so cold and manly.

Our style is a mix of natural woods, tribal and/or artisan handmade objets d’art meets contemporary appliances, space and minimalism.

This room only ‘just’ has the contemporary thing going on for it! It was difficult to photograph given its size.

Being in the basement it’s a cool-ish space with diffused glass in the only window. I’m hoping well-chosen colour will help warm things up.

My ‘givens’ are: tile, cabinets, fixtures. I’m prepared to change the colour of the walls and towels (and eventually add art). I like having the sheepskins on the floor since they provide warm (as in relief from the cold floor), soft, natural islands for my bare feet. They have aged to a coffee cream colour which is not necessarily harmonious with the grey.

The cabinets and granite are closest in chroma to Benjamin Moore swatches Bittersweet Chocolate (2114/10) and Mississippi Mud (2114/20).

The gray tiles of the floor and shower stall are closest to BM Metropolis (CC-546)

Ceramic sink and toilet are white. Grohe fixtures are silver and brass.

Door is Fairview Taupe (HC-85), though I am open to changing that colour too.

Floors throughout the house and leading into this room are a rich Brazilian Cherry mahogany color. I love this floor colour which reminds me of polished pecan shells.

The tiles in the shower have tiny insets that are shiny silver, shell white and black.

Trim is a Cloud White (CC-40) and I’m open to changing that too.

Thanks for your consideration and suggestions!

If I were to let you in on one secret, I am partial to a light turquoise as a paint colour; Thee are minior little details on our towel holders that have it but not enough that anyone would notice. And while trying to track down a sample of the turquoise I discovered Sydney Harbour Paint’s Distant Blue. Not sure if it’d work in a humid steamshower environment but I rather like the idea of in their Naturals line. http://www.sydneyharbourpaintstore.com/products/Lime-Wash.html
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
zig7
Now I wish I had named this "100 Shades of Too Much Dude"!
0 Likes   May 19, 2013 at 7:44PM