Should I paint the pine panelling in this cottage?
knip4ever
I am getting this cottage ready to sell. Should I paint the pine panelling
in an attempt to brighten or update the look?
Chrissy McCleery
No, paint the bricks on fireplace
May 19, 2013 at 8:33pm     
knip4ever
ah, I never thought of that - good thought
May 19, 2013 at 8:39pm   
houssaon
That is a hard call. Have you asked a real estate agent? What about the other homes, do they have the paneling painted? You might have to seal it with primer first. Kilz is a good brand to use so knots won't bleed through. Marsh Residence and Saskatchewan Lakeside Retreat are examples of painted pine.

Either way, you should do is stream line, remove the ivy and extra objects. Is the rug in front of the fire place hiding a stain? If not it should go. The picture above the fireplace, too.

Good luck.
May 19, 2013 at 8:41pm   
Don't paint the bricks because they will contrast even more with the black fireplace unless you paint it all. Some people will want the raw wood look, some prefer paint. Painting it won't make it less rustic because that is the style so I think here the best call is to let it be. My first note for updating - lose the vertical blinds and install rods that extend beyond the width of the windows and put fabric panels up - that will help make it nicer.

If you do have the budget for paint and cabinets, select a cream / ecru tone like http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6141-softer-tan/ and paint the brick a tone deeper - http://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW0011-crewel-tan/ except for the wood mantel. Paint all the trim in the glossy camel tone - the closet doors and baseboard and so forth - it will tie it all together. Paint the corner cabinet camel but paint the inside back of it the wall color.

Change the sconces / light fixtures to nautical cottage option with bronze tone (earth option here) http://www.lightingdirect.com/lustrarte-498-one-light-wall-sconce-from-the-caravela-collection/p2046212
are a good choice. If you paint the walls, change the floor in the kitchen to a vinyl wood floor plank in a white wash oak finish.
May 19, 2013 at 10:00pm   
momprofessor
I'd take the wood paneling off. It would enlargen your space.
May 19, 2013 at 10:35pm   
onthefence
Personally, I wouldn't paint any of it. I'm not a fan of the pine...but I know of people who are. I'm not a fan many painted fireplaces and would possibly walk away from a house where I had to UNdo something like that.

One of the best suggestions I've seen here is to have someone do a good artistic representation of the walls painted and/or the brick painted. Keep color prints of those available with the sales sheets so people can see potential. Applying paint is a LOT easier than stripping it of where it isn't wanted - and I think most buyers understand that.
May 19, 2013 at 10:41pm     
launder
I think the best and most important thing to do is talk to the realestate agents in your area and also look at similar properties in your area that will give you the best possible insite as to painting and updating (if it is worth the time, expense etc) for your return in profits -
I have found with my own property selling the Decluttering of at least half and spotless cleaning makes the home much easier to sell and also appeal to a larger range of people.
I have previously painted wood paneling and it does need priming and I painted the whole cottage in 1/4 antique white semi gloss including the ceiling to make the walls appear taller and layed vinyl wood floor planks in the white wash finish changed the light fittings to simple modern and put in new bulbs to all fittings (DIY where possible) staged it very simply and it sold within two days of marketing as it was so fresh and inviting compared to the other cottages on the market at the time (keeping in mind the home was priced the samethe others on the market and I wanted a quick sale).
Good Luck it is always difficult to decide which way to sell your home.
Gayle
May 19, 2013 at 10:45pm     
I would whitewash the pine walls and slipcover or remove anything floral in the space. Generally, remove 1/3 of your "stuff" when you are trying to sell. Light, bright, clean, airey and square footage sells - so show as much floor space as you can and still look cozy.
May 19, 2013 at 11:08pm     
Anne
If anything , maybe dry wall over it and paint for a more modern look.
May 19, 2013 at 11:20pm   
ruthmand
My experience is that people would rather do their own thing, so I say leave it. Decluttering as much as possible should be your top priority. Not that your place doesn't look nice but buyers like to envision their own stuff in the space. Someone will buy your cottage because of the location, the view, the style, etc.. At this point, whether the wood is painted or not won't make much difference, unless there are lots of similar places for sale in your area.
May 19, 2013 at 11:22pm     
Unless the house is a "fixer" most people would like "move in ready" with minimal changes or "work" to be done. launder said it..ask the real estate agent and look at similar properties in your area. Clean, decluttering, and appealing to the masses is the right thought. Most people I think would not like the pine, but a "light bright, cottage charming white wash walls" will appeal to more buyers. BTw...no curtains or window treatments and sparkling clean windows would be better than dated blinds.
May 19, 2013 at 11:31pm     
knip4ever
The realtors suggested that I not change anything. Might be due to the possibility of razing and starting over. It's a great start for future remodel
or rebuild. There are also the people who can't afford to do that, I
may be missing as potential buyers. I'm not in a great hurry to sell so
I'm giving it this summer. if I still have it I will be making changes in the
winter. Thank you for all the suggestions.
May 21, 2013 at 7:23am   
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
This is a cottage, and to me, a lover of cottages, I really like the current look. Real cottages are not supposed to be latest design, but cozy & welcoming.

I would de-clutter & remove art work off panelling - the brick & panelling are enough for the eye. Move TV away from fireplace. De-clutter fireplace mantel.

Your two focal points are - fireplace & view. Arrange one of sofas facing fireplace and the other facing view. Even in Spring & Summer months, a fire is a nice touch at cottage.

If you can find some white duck slipcovers for sofas, there would be easier flow. Then add pops of colour with coloured cushions.

Bamboo blinds on windows instead of curtains would work well in this setting.
April 5, 2014 at 6:15am   
Should I paint the knotty pine?
I want to freshen up my basement and give it a full...
What colour should I paint this pine dresser?
Hi I have this orange pine coloured dresser that I...
Should I paint a knotty pine dining room
After years of darkness, I am thinking of lightening...
What colour should I paint the exterior of my cottage?
The cottage is 280 sq. ft. Built pre 1980. Located...
Best Iron?
I find myself AGAIN in need of a new iron after dropping...
I will NEVER have _____ in my home!
What's the one thing (or a few things) you refuse to...
L-shaped living room/dining room suggestions?
We are first time homeowners and would love some help...
Need advice on best master bedroom/bathroom/walk-in-closet layout
Looking for advice on how to best layout a master bedroom/bathroom...
Ideas for open stairway carpet in 1930 Colonial/ yellow walls
I'm thinking geometric charcoal and cream??? Colors...