Update a cottage kitchen
knip4ever
I'm getting this cottage ready for resale. Should I update this kitchen and dining area?
If so, what color for cabinets and what material on the floor?
Your cottage is likely to garner its price due to location and general upkeep. Though the kitchen is outdated, it is a big expense to change these things out as that would likely involve sink, faucet, layout of the whole kitchen and I'm not sure you would get it back if this is a rustic paneled cottage.

Best to focus on the first impression things and let cabinets happen at choice of the buyer as new cabinets alone will not make the kitchen look updated. You are going to want to look at the whole layout and closet space and given the rest of the space, I think I would focus on other things that seem more dated.

For resale, these would be my top 5 because they are the items that seem to date your place the most.

1. Change the air conditioner in the wall to a modern one - they have a slim white modern profile and fill in the panelling in the old wall hole / gel stain to match existing wood.
2. Where your open shelf is in the corner, build a new one that is sized to hold a modern / buy a fresh white microwave to replace top of fridge.
3. Change the vinyl floor to cork - it is modern but it works well with the rest of the cottage.
4. Get new light fixture at the dining room - a simple pendant with bronze iron - something like http://www.lightingdirect.com/dvi-lighting-dvp9305-transitional-3-light-22-pendant-from-the-key-west-collection/p1372010
5. Paint out the wood trim strips on the ceiling to match the ceiling.
May 19, 2013 at 9:34pm     
KraftMaster Renovations
Agreed flooring will make a great impact at a low cost
May 20, 2013 at 4:09am   
Sia@South47th
Yes to the floor change, and please do consider painting the cab's. De-clutter everything and think about having it staged. In this market you have about 2 sec's to catch the attention of that potential buyer. Unless it's an investment buyer.
May 20, 2013 at 4:31am   
knip4ever
Good eye, the air conditioner is actually a gas heater which I agree is an eye
sore. That needs to go! I love the cork idea for the floor, because I didn't know
what to do with all the pine panelling. The corner shelf did house a microwave
but it died and the one on the refrigerator was someone's reject. Plans were to
eventually renovate the whole area but those have changed. Now I just want to clean up the look to attract buyers. The property is quite expensive as it is and it eliminates borderline buyers. Thank you for the advice.
May 21, 2013 at 7:29am   
Help with updating a 1950's cottage style ranch
I need help with my house. I knew when I purchased...
Cottage exterior cost effective update
The exterior of our northern Michigan cottage looks...
HOW to get an UPDATED COTTAGE LOOK??
We are considering purchasing this home. It is in...
Neon?
What type of lights can I use?
Landscaping Old Above Ground Pool Area
Hi Houzzers! Our backyard in Canberra Australia needs...
Need help with paint color for north facing room with lots of light
I have a north facing great room that actually gets...
Help deciding paint color for table.
Looking for a good neutral color to use on this side...
Need help for selecting a wall color for my living room/kitchen
What white wall color would go with Dunn Edwards Swiss...