What kind of side table and lamp can I put next to this HUGE chair?

sganderMay 20, 2013
I recovered this teak chair recently and it still looks HUGE! I cannot move it anywhere else in my flat as there really isn't any room for it anywhere else. No one sits on it, as it is so deep and isolated, so I really need to integrate it into the rest of the living room with a lamp, side table or anything else that will help!
Given where you have placed it, I cannot see how adding more objects to the area will make it any less heavy. I think you could leave it in situ and, to make it less deep, you can add a 60x60cm cushion behind it. This will bring the seating area forward. I would go for a print cushion like the fabric you just covered it in - and that reflects your cushions on your sofa. The smaller cushion can then come forward. People will place it as necessary to make themselves comfortable
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 1:26AM
I think the chair has fabulous lines, and I agree with ASV that adding lamps or side tables around it will not address the problem of no one sitting in it. If it were my house and my chair I'd look for a footstool to go with it. When you put your feet up the awkward depth of a chair isn't an issue, and who doesn't like sitting in a nice deep chair with your feet up?
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 4:18AM
Is this chair of some sentimental value? Or because you recovered it that you feel compelled to keep it? If nobody sits in it , what is the purpose? The chair does not look right so close to the tv. I would take out the chair and scoot the pet bed over in it's location to give your 4 legged friend a better view and some sunlight:)
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 4:27AM
leelee
I know you just recovered it but the light colored bottom cushion seems to make it stand out. Maybe have the seat recovered in a charcoal and add a lumbar pillow in a red, coral or dark teal. The chair is certainly a keeper...a pedistal table to place a drink or a book on would make the chair more user friendly. If the depth is the main reason no one sits there add a slightly larger pillow behind the lumbar so it isn't so deep.

Invite some tall people over.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:03AM
carolins
You've done a lovely job, nice choice of fabrics.
I think pulling it forward, into the light, so that it's more part of the seating arrangement will make it more part of the 'family'.

I'd go for an oriental style side table and a floor lamp I think. I'll see if I can find you some examples.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:08AM
Genevieve
About this one ! It has the curves to compliment the chair
accent furniture · More Info
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:12AM
carolins
Threshold Basketweave Metal Accent Table · More Info

Havana Mono Floor Lamp · More Info

Morac Hex Garden Stool · More Info

'Tulip' Floor Lamp · More Info

Lion Motif Chinese Porcelain Stool · More Info

ANGELINA FLOOR LAMP BY PENTA LIGHT · More Info
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:24AM
sgander
THanks for all your comments. The chair has great sentimental value so I really can't ditch it.
Leelee, I like your idea of covering the base with a darker fabric but I was worried it would make the whole thing seem too dark with the brown bookcase behind it.
Feeny, a footstool will certainly make a difference. I'm going to try that as well as a brighter lumbar cushion.
Carolins, the stools and lamps you've sourced are gorgeous but I'm worried they might look too small and short.
Does anyone think a big plant might make it look more "friendly"?
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:48PM
sstarr93
Add two or three 20" black and white geometric-patterned cushions (an assortment, not all the same), for both style and comfort in this chair.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:52PM
sgander
But won't that kill the fabric at the back?
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:55PM
The seat cushion and the fabric on your sofa/ottoman are similar. Why can you not pull the chair up into that space?
Williams Sonoma Home Spring 2009 British Colonial · More Info
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:55PM
sgander
We tried pulling it closer, but because there is a huge sweep of balcony doors there, it makes it hard to access them. We'd have to go around the big chair (not practical). It also kills the dimensions of the room -- which isn't that big to start with.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:56PM
Can you put it out on the balcony with one of carolins' tables? And a great indoor/outdoor rug?
Chevron Stripe Indoor/Outdoor Rug · More Info

Morac Hex Garden Stool · More Info
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:59PM
sgander
Lovely photo! With the thunderstorms and typhoons we get, no way can it go on the balcony! It is also too big to fit out there.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:02PM
sgander
The original thinking was that it would be perfect in front of the bookcase as a place to read, relax, have a drink, etc. But I can't seem to find a side table or lamp that doesn't get dwarfed by it.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:05PM
sstarr93
I don't think it will kill the fabric at all
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:07PM
Ann
No suggestions but I like the chair - great job!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:09PM
Genevieve
Because of the spot it was in I would think a small table would make sense and would come across as fitting in the space vs. being dwarfed (does that make any sense lol.) I immediately thought of a garden stool and loved the ones someone else posted. Having a table to set your drink and a small footstool could go along way in the comfort area and you hopefully will start seeing it be used more. I love the chair btw.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 8:36PM
sjkingston
What about moving one of the pillows round circles from the couch over on it as the extra lumbar pillow? My 6'5" husband would claim it as his own.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:14AM
Chiteo Chah
A broad one leg table and a whitish lamp to compliment the chair
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:44AM
Ideas please? Living Room Area Rug, Side Tables and Lamps
We're kind of building our open plan living room as...
Rochelle Hepworth
What to put next to fireplace
Wondering what to put to the right of my fireplace...bookshelf,...
ammks
What to do in here next?
Finally painted over horrible poo-brown walls - painted...
seppysills
Accessorizing side table
Family room. Yellow, ivory and grey/ blue color scheme....
Jennifer
Mish-mash of family room, oh and it's HUGE!
OK, I promise I'm pretty decent at decorating but I'm...
reniecpa
Need help with figuring out heating in bathroom
Iam renovating a 6 by 8 bathroom. I am putting in...
ecarol54
Should I paint this wall black?
I am referring to the window wall in the great room....
laurajazz
Can these old 70s/80s brown doors be painted?
I have a whackload of those old wood look dark brown...
allymrtn
Stain, doors and windows
Ok.. I'm an army widow and mother of 4 who used all...
Nikole Nikki Salisbury Nelson
Help with Vignettes
Hi everyone, am trying to do a couple of vignettes...
rr24