Powder room remodel

lkb1031May 20, 2013
I have a small powder room that I need to remodel and need help. Any colors that make a room seem larger? Was thinking of a pedestal sink ? Traditional house. Only powder room on first floor.
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Sara Parker
I actually love the plane plate with the wall paper. A pedestal sink would be even more retro or a vessel sink would update the look. It needs a mirror to be useful as a "powder" room.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:41AM
lkb1031
They are putting a window in the side wall, so I can actually cover over the window over the sink if I need to. I think I need a mirror.. The house was built in 1896, but I want an elegant powder room.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 6:49AM
Simone Norris
I recommend covering up that window being that it is in an awkward spot and you do need a nice little mirror there. I have some recommendations for wall tile options. I suggest that you should keep the color palette light being that the bathroom is small. A pedestal sink would be nice but use a modern faucet to update the look as well. I also think that the new window you are planning to get put in there should have a smaller trim around it unlike the current window.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:35AM
PRO
Granite Transformations
I think you can keep the white subway tile that you currently have, it's back in style and it will save you money. My suggestions would be to remove the window and install a mirror and lighting fixture. Then, I'd paint the walls a pewter or gray. Next, go with the pedestal sink that you were considering. Finally, I'd install a dark wood for the flooring. You should also consider new towels and a shower current to match.

Good luck!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 7:46AM
lkb1031
Thanks, I appreciate the suggestions!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:15AM
PRO
KARKELA CONSTRUCTION
I agree the window should go, add a mirror with a wood frame to match a open vanity with a marble top and a vessel sink. Dark cherry wood for the vanity and mirror and I would remove the wallpaper and paint the walls, maybe a light gray.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:41AM
PRO
Significant Buildings and Construction
This is a remodel we just did which was a traditional cottage - I agree with Granite that painting the wall would certainly help as well as putting in a new sink. I can see that a mirror above would be nice, but I'd hate to lose that window!! The only source of natural light?
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:44AM
judianna20
Vintage bathroom · More Info

If you can replace the window, a transom (operable) higher up on the wall would work.
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:44AM
PRO
Home Design Outlet Center
please visit our website for help finding your vanity http://www.homedesignoutletcenter.com/
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:49AM
lkb1031
Thanks for the pictures, they are a huge help. They are adding a window on the side wall, so I will have some natural light even if I remove the window over the sink. The subway tile on the picture above is exactly what is already there. I hadn't thought that I could actually keep it and make it look good, but that is really pretty!
    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 10:58AM