Mural behind bed? Does orange, grey, brown and turquoise work together ?
am1121
I'm thinking of putting a mural behind the bed, it is a pic I took in Trinidad. Am I limiting myself to a "beachy" room by putting this pic up? I'm good with the room feeling beachy but not a literal beach room. This room also needs repainting it's SW Millet now and RL Orange color suede paint I love the way turquoise, orange and grey look together but my bed and side tables are brown as are curtains. Can I add the grey with the browns? I can change curtains but not the bed. I still like the orange and can leave that wall as is. Any ideas?
am1121
Here are more pics
May 20, 2013 at 6:57am   
nasmijati
Is the mural you are wanting from the second photo you posted?
May 20, 2013 at 6:57am   
am1121
Yes it is.
May 20, 2013 at 7:28am   
catieb
Why behind the bed?

it is a gorgeous photo - why not on a large canvas on the wall in place of the lone star???!!!

the bed wall is looking busy and the rest of the room looks calm - i think the photo on another wall, and enhance with the colors you've described in accents would create a pleasing space throughout. to me, the curtains are what makes it too busy/heavy and should be taken down entirely - or become something very light and see-thru, if you feel you must keep them.

I don't see "beachy" at all....i see more of a "spa" feel with the colors of the photo.
May 20, 2013 at 8:03am   
am1121
I was thinking behind the bed because that's the wall you see when you walk in. However I like the canvas idea too, then I could look at it instead of having it behind me. Thanks for the idea.
I agree about the curtains they are not doing anything for the room. Maybe some sheer turquoise? I want to change the bedding too. It was bought because of the curtains that pin tucked look is in both.
May 20, 2013 at 8:10am     
am1121
Anyone help with the paint colors? What can I do with trey ceiling?
May 20, 2013 at 12:28pm   
Daniel Dionne Designs llc
Nothing short of a complete re-do will make this space feel "beachy". I would have the photo blown up and framed. Do NOT frame it in a stained wood. The space is already "wood heavy" Changing out the brown drapery panels to something lighter will be helpful to the space, also. For the ceiling, trays: Use three gradations of the same color. Use the darkest around the perimeter tray both on the "ceiling underside and the vertical facing edge. Use the mid-tone in the same manner on the inner tray and the lightest version on the center ceiling inside the trays. This makes each tray more architecturally meaningful/impactful and creates a smooth transition from color to color and tray to tray, also enhancing perceived ceiling height. In all honesty, I would lose the orange accent wall behind the bed and paint all your walls the same color. Use three gradations of the orange color on the ceiling, as described above. This will help to unify the space, which feels a bit choppy to my eye. I hope this is helpful. Good Luck...
May 20, 2013 at 12:55pm   
am1121
Thanks Daniel. I agree choppy. I think that is every room in my house right now because I'm bringing in new stuff that doesn't really flow with the old. I was thinking beachy because of the pic and I do love the turquoise, orange, grey combos. I don't know about the grey with all the brown wood. I did see where you did a room that was grey but the brown was just in the cushions. The only thing I really can't change is the bed. Love the ceiling idea, had to read a few times, then come into the room to look and read, but now I have the vision of what you mean.
May 20, 2013 at 1:55pm   
catieb
am1121 - paint is so adaptable that it is best to select last. Select the items you want first - the bedding, drapes, accents and decorative pillows, etc. Your overall color scheme idea of orange, grey and turquoise can be quite lovely. Coordinate the selections to create your color scheme. If the "brown" is the furniture - then think of the brown as the "neutral" that runs through the space.

I like Daniel's idea about the shades of color for the tray ceiling. But for some reason I keep wanting to suggest hi-gloss, light grey crown molding as well. A light shade of turquiose/blue (enhance the photo) for the walls, with the oranges for the ceiling. Bring in pattern and texture with the bedding. Selecting bedding first is always a great way to create your color palette - find a selection with your colors and and then pull those colors out for the paint selections.
May 23, 2013 at 8:22pm   
Speak to the Queen
I like the gradated ceiling treatment, but a warm color on the ceiling will make the ceiling appear to be lower. If it is very pale orange...a color I love, that is heading in a whole different direction. Pale orange tends to be quite pastel.
June 9, 2014 at 9:51pm   
Speak to the Queen
Also, I used to be a muralist and the space above the bed is far to small for a mural. It will just look busy and get lost.
June 9, 2014 at 9:52pm   
Speak to the Queen
Have you thought about a mural in the center panel of the tray? The ceiling could be the lovely silvery gray in the photo mural with the silhouettes of tree branches, perhaps with a full moon peeping through. You could replace the lone star with a blow up-of the photo, printed on canvas with a wrapped edge- no need to frame it. If you do this you will need a new wall color, and new drapes, and to take down any accessories that fight with it the mural, like the lone star, to avoid the room being too busy. I'd like to see the group of photos on a bureau top or a wall mounted shelf. I would love to see a silvery comforter and orange and turquoise pillows with this.
June 9, 2014 at 10:02pm   
samsamyd
Yes, gray and brown can work together -- for me, I needed white trim to set it off.
June 9, 2014 at 10:27pm   
am1121
Hi! I've completed this project, have attached photos of my room now. I appreciate your thoughts and will keep them in mind when I get ready to do it again!
June 10, 2014 at 6:54am   
catieb
Very nice - thanks for sharing!
June 10, 2014 at 7:08am     
Speak to the Queen
I love what you did with the TV. The room is unified and peaceful.
June 11, 2014 at 7:42am     
am1121
Thank You Guys. It is very peaceful room, I'm loving it!
June 11, 2014 at 6:01pm   
This is a striking room & I grey & brown work great together
Too bad the Design Firm won't give out the light details,...
Orange wall - will a turquoise/blue area rug work????
Hey all! So I have a small apartment, L-shaped living...
Brown and grey together
What are your thoughts on greys and browns together?...
Do Grey and Brown really go together?
We're currently designing our new home. Our floors...
I need help with finding a kitchen table light to match pendants
I found the pendants for over my kitchen island and...
need tips for sprucing up my curb appeal
I own a 70s brick ranch. I have been working on curb...
Master Bath 60" Vanity - custom price average?
What's is a realistic average price range for a custom...
Any ideas for this exterior?
I'm back to square one. I was planning on vinyl siding,...
Electric Outlets on my Island!
I noticed the two electrical outlets on my new island...