Need help extending family room
shails
We want to extend the family room so that there is more space. What are the best ideas for this with the least cost involved.Our budget is around $6000.
The area titled ‘Watch’ in the picture below is the family room. There is a corner fire place in that area. Also pictures of the room attached.The wall next to the fireplace (not the wall with the windows) is the one that we want to extend.

Ideas appreciated!!
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Looks like you want to push out to the side yard? I assume you have the room with building setbacks to do that? If so, I would play with furniture layouts to see how much room you need vs want. I have my customers cut out templates (to scale) of the furniture they want to use then paste-up on top of a "scaled" Floor Plan. This illustrates how much room is desired to pull-off what they intend to do.
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 8:49AM
shails
Yes we want to push out to the side yard and have the space to do that. We want to do this to make the space bigger. We will be buying new furniture , so fitting an existing furniture is not the issue. What we want to do is to make this room bigger
1 Like   May 20, 2013 at 9:15AM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Yes but just making it "bigger" might not make it "better"! That's why I recommend you start with the furniture layout you need and want for that space then adjust the room size to work. Might be easier working with a houzz design professional in your metro zone that will sit down and sketch furnishing options for you to scale? Keep this post going, I'm sure interior designers will jump in with this discussion.
1 Like   May 20, 2013 at 9:25AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
I hate to throw a wrench in here, but I don't believe your budget is sufficient to add square footage. You might want to get some local suggestions before putting too much energy in this.
1 Like   May 20, 2013 at 9:34AM
shails
Appreciate your comments . We can increase our budget. What are your suggestions on things that we can do to extend the living area.
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 9:47AM
Deborah Butler, Brickwood Builders
There are so many options, budget will really dictate and one really sort of needs to see the space and the various products in use - inside and out. Go to the Houzz search bar and enter various search terms and try them - such as open living space or family room, etc. I used the term Hearth Room and here are the results of that search. http://www.houzz.com/photos/living/%22hearth-room%22-

You could push out to the side and move the fireplace out to the end and install windows on either side or install windows elsewhere and put in bookcases on either side. Kevin has given good advice to decide how you want to use the room and place furniture so that the new space will work for your family. Know where you want to put the TV and which way you want the room to "face". Are you going to have multiple seating areas or just one that centers around the TV. You never want to forget aesthetics in remodeling, but the function needs to be considered first.

You need to discuss with someone what the constraints and options are in opening up that exterior wall and whether you will be able to accept a drop beam to support the second floor and roof or not. Some of the existing wall will have to remain and you need to understand how much of it and how that impacts use of the room and furniture placement.
1 Like   May 20, 2013 at 12:48PM
Kevin Patrick O'Brien Architect, Inc.
Perfect Deborah, great advice!
1 Like   May 20, 2013 at 12:52PM
Need Advice: Paint Color Family Room & Wall Extends from Kitchen to FR
I have a family room that has one approximately 20...
Need help finding extendable dining room table
Hi - we are looking for a dining room table. Our issue...
need help to extend my country cottage living room.
Current shape is rectangular shape. One wall has two...
need help on room extended on balcony , terrace i want to close it wit
In a huge dilema, i dont know how to design the room...
Where to buy rugs?
I am installing hardwood in the whole house which previously...
Lava rock fireplace makeover
What should I do? Our new to us home that was built...
sinks centered under medicine cabinets? height of med cabinets?
Do sinks "have" to be centered under medicine cabinets?...
Picture Going Up Stairs
I have a picture that I would like to hang on the landing...