What would you do???
ejinsa
We've painted the body, added new shutters and now we're about to have vinyl replacement windows installed. We're on a budget so the only color options for the windows are white, beige or tan. I do not like all the grids (fake mullions in cheap windows) so I think either no grids or at the most, 4 over 4. I could really use your help with the windows and also anything else that might help the overall look. I think I could get away with painting the shutters, but don't know that hubby will go for repainting the house... Any input is appreciated!!!
emily65
White windows would probably be best. Your house is really pretty but the landscaping along the front of the house could probably use some updating. I think the front door would be fantastic painted in a bright color that would make it stand out from the rest of the façade. Do you keep the front shades/drapes closed all the time? Do you need to control privacy or sun on the front of the house? They do make windows that control the sun coming into the house but allow a complete view out the windows. We have some in our bedroom on the south side of the house. They keep the room from heating up in the summer but allow the sun in in the winter - it is some sort of angle of the rays thing.
2 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 9:14AM
ejinsa
THanks emily65 - that's a vote for white windows! Thanks for the other input, I will consider that as well.
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 9:49AM
mefor
What color is the house?
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 9:58AM
Not sure if understand all the gravel, although I do appreciate the softer curves if provides at the walk. Doesn't it get into the street? Does the city provide the curb house numbers or can you enhance them?
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 9:59AM
BELLA VICI
Very pretty home..My vote is for beige window vinyl if you want little contrast between the window and shutters but white if you are trying to achieve some contrast in which the trim will stand out more especially against the dark shutters which I think are pretty. Good luck! :)
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 10:03AM
leelee
White and no fake mullions...you're so right, they scream 'cheap'
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 10:39AM
Judy M
White windows is my vote.
1 Like   May 20, 2013 at 11:00AM
ejinsa
Ok: @mforr - the house color is Navajo White, brownish/copperish roof, dark brown shutters; @decoenthusiaste - the rock is a popular landscape choice here in hot & dry west TX. - we are trying to reduce our thirsty, grassy areas. We can definitely enhance the house numbers.; @BELLA VICI & haute + box: thank you, I think it will be white.; @leelee - white! Thanks; @Judy M - Thanks! Thanks to all of you, you have given me some good feedback which I desperately needed!!!
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 5:07PM
mefor
White is a great choice. Plus it will go with other colors if you decide to change colors down the road, good luck!
1 Like   May 20, 2013 at 5:11PM
ejinsa
Thanks mforr! What do you think about the grids (fake mullions)? I can go with none, but I wonder if 2 over 2 or 4 over 4 might look good & give the house a more casual/contemporary feel as opposed to the current 9 over 6 colonial-style grids which are too formal & busy for my taste... ???
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 5:17PM
mefor
If you like the look of the mullions, how about 6 over 1, kind of striking a balance between nothing and the too busy look you feel you have now? Sometimes nothing feels a little too empty, like eye sockets with no eyes inside. Ooh, sounds awful, better have some mullions!
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 5:23PM
ejinsa
Oh my, that is awful, now that you mention it! LOL! I have seen a few like you suggested, the 6 over 1, I will take another look. THank you! :-)
0 Likes   May 20, 2013 at 6:48PM
mefor
You're welcome!
1 Like   May 21, 2013 at 2:26AM
solraven
I would choose classic white. Also for your style of house, I would choose a similar grille pattern to the one you have now. Personally, I think the more muntins the better. I like the grille pattern that you have on your windows now, which looks like the panes are 9/6, with the horizontal mullion being below center. If I were replacing them, and centering the horizontal mullion, I would do a grille pattern that was 9/9. Perhaps its me, but plane windows only look nice on homes that are modern, or at least lean towards modern. Traditional style homes, with plane windows, cheapens the look of the house, IMHO.
1 Like   May 21, 2013 at 4:03AM
leelee
The main reason I'd choose white is that if in the future the owners want to paint the house white then they're stuck with beige windows which will just look yellowed or dirty.
2 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 5:13AM
Eldonna Ruddock
I'd go architectural with black three or four horizontal lines and re-do the landscape with more continuity. One of each species does not tie it all together. Expensive, but in a perfect world, I'd make the roof darker.
1 Like   May 21, 2013 at 5:23AM
Eldonna Ruddock
And you need a door color that pops.
1 Like   May 21, 2013 at 5:24AM
ejinsa
Thanks solraven; white with grids (but not 9/9 - that's just too many 9's! LOL!) leelee: I agree with you about the reason for white. Eldonna Ruddock: Because of budget, black is not an option for me - I'd love it though! The landscape is a work-in-progress; we are transitioning to more of a xeriscape design because of heat & lack of water. Again, budget; no roof change. I LOVE the door color idea, just don't know what color. Would like to add more color to the house with paint; like paint the brick just right around the windows and then paint the shutters and possibly paint the facia (trim around roof). Any ideas for paint colors & tips to work magic on 'this old house'???
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 8:47AM
mefor
How about SW 6466 grandview
Or SW 6473 surf green
Or bluer SW 6480 lagoon SW 6481 green bay
1 Like   May 21, 2013 at 8:58AM
mefor
For the door, I forgot to specify where
1 Like   May 21, 2013 at 9:18AM
solraven
@ejinsa, if you weren't on a budget, and could get whatever kind of windows you wanted, what would you choose? Also, what region are you in? You're current windows look aluminum, so I would guess somewhere that's warm year round.
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 10:23AM
ejinsa
@solraven: I've attached a few pics of windows that I like, you can also look at my ideabook 'home exterior' not sure of a specific brand. I must confess, there are a few windows with several grids, even at least one 9/9!!! I'm pretty sure the reason I don't want them on my house is they won't look as good as if they were the real thing, with dimension. On the windows that I have access to, the grids are fake, flat & in between panes of glass... We are just west of the very center of Texas; 'summer' lasts from April/May to October/November!!! Our other seasons all run together, with an occasional dip below freezing.
1 Like   May 21, 2013 at 12:01PM
ejinsa
@mforr: Thanks for the color suggestions; I love those colors!!! Also @Eldonna Ruddock: I'm attaching a couple more pix of my house; close-up of the door (which my husband will not change; it supposedly was shipped here from Germany by former military owners) & window so you can get a better look at what we're working with...
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 12:44PM
mefor
Thanks, ejinsa. I thought they'd look very pretty with the color of your house and not be too traditional.
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 12:50PM
mefor
If you can post a picture of front door from just a bit further away and I can find Ed posting here somewhere later on, I'll ask him to join this dilemma and do some mockups of the paint color on front door.
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 12:53PM
ejinsa
@mforr: how's this?
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 2:01PM
ejinsa
If painting the door gets vetoed; what about painting the trim around it???
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 2:04PM
mefor
That's great, I'll be on the lookout for him. Um, is it your husband who may veto door paint? It's a very pretty door, is it detailed on the interior as well? If so , maybe a compromise, bring the outside a bit closer to what you'd like and leave the very traditional on the inside for him?
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 2:12PM
mefor
If I can find Ed, maybe your husband will love color on door. Fingers crossed
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 2:13PM
mefor
I've been on the lookout for him, I'll try again in the morning. That's when I usually cross posts with him.
1 Like   May 21, 2013 at 5:20PM
ejinsa
Yes, it's my husband that may veto. He believes the more neutral (I call it generic) everything is the easier it will be to sell... Thanks for all your help, have a nice evening.
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 6:03PM
mefor
:)
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 6:06PM
solraven
@ejinsa, Oh... now I understand. The muntins will be flat AND between the panes of glass. Hmmm... that is a dilemma.
0 Likes   May 21, 2013 at 7:02PM
mefor
I haven't forgotten you, can't seem to get on the site at the same time as Ed, don't want to make him think I'm a stalker. If I run across him, I'll still get you a great pic. Or someone else who's pretty good at it might show up here. I thought if I posted something for you tonight, you might get a little help going. Nite!
1 Like   May 23, 2013 at 6:16PM
Get windows that match the color of your house. Get rid of the shutters…those are fake. You can get darker mullions and paint the window trim.

0 Likes   May 23, 2013 at 6:23PM
mefor
This one, if you have time :)
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 2:34AM
Ed
Hi mforr, the original photo's windows are so small (far away)... is the idea to paint the shutters ?
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 2:58AM
mefor
No, in the middle of posts, she wants to paint door, I gave her some SW colors and asked her to take a better picture of door/entry area
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:00AM
Ed
Hi mforr, just the door... the entrance door is almost completely in the shadows. I see the closer photo now... :)
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:01AM
mefor
:)
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:05AM
Ed
Hi mforr, ejinsa, Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6466 Grandview --
( the original brown tones on the door are very very strong -- and they affect any color that goes onto the door... ? )
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:14AM
Ed
Hi mforr, ejinsa, Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6473 Surf Green --
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:15AM
Ed
Hi mforr, ejinsa, Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6480 Lagoon --
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:17AM
Ed
Hi mforr, ejinsa, Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6481 Green Bay --
3 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:19AM
mefor
Thank you Ed, you're very kind and your efforts are greatly appreciated!!! Have a great day! :)
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:23AM
mefor
Love the Green Bay!!!
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:23AM
Ed
Hi mforr, ejinsa, Let's try some fun colors -- you can always reject them. :)
Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6510 Loyal Blue --
3 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:24AM
Ed
Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6804 Dignity Blue --
1 Like   May 24, 2013 at 3:27AM
Ed
Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6034 Arresting Auburn --
1 Like   May 24, 2013 at 3:28AM
mefor
I like the loyal blue, not dignity blue, like the auburn but too close to the wood tone that's already there
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:30AM
mefor
You're the best, Ed, thank you!!!
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:33AM
Ed
Let's try some reds. :) Sherwin-Williams SW 6594 Poinsettia, and SW 6321 Red Bay --
2 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:33AM
Ed
Hi mforr, you're very welcome. :)
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:34AM
Ed
Hi mforr, I also like SW 6034 Arresting Auburn ( on this monitor ). Let's try a split with red... Sherwin-Williams SW 2839 Roycroft Copper Red --
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:39AM
mefor
Red bay is really nice too, great job as always!!!
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:40AM
mefor
That's good too, but maybe not as good as the others we like. There's a lot of options for ejinsa to choose from, helping her to update her front facade a little bit.
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:43AM
Ed
Yes, mforr. I couldn't find a nice yellow. Let's try a teal... SW 6489 Really Teal --
2 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:45AM
mefor
How about SW 6438 dill
SW 6439 greenfield
SW 6445 garden grove
sw6446 arugula
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:48AM
Ed
Hi mforr, 6438 Dill and 6439 Greenfield are not available for "exterior scene". :)
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:53AM
Ed
Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6445 Garden Grove --
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:54AM
Ed
Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6446 Arugula --
2 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:55AM
mefor
That's brighter than I thought it would be, what a shame about the other two. Would you try SW 6453 cilantro if possible. Last one, I promise :)
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:56AM
Ed
Hi mforr, Here's Sherwin-Williams SW 6453 Cilantro :) --
1 Like   May 24, 2013 at 3:57AM
mefor
Thanks for helping me out, I'll be looking for you sometimes, I hope you don't mind. :)
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 3:59AM
Ed
Hi mforr, this one probably matches the current shutters, but maybe a bit dark ( it looks nice on this monitor ) -- SW 6006 Black Bean --
1 Like   May 24, 2013 at 4:00AM
Ed
mforr, thanks! :)
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 4:00AM
mefor
Ejinsa, lots of looks to think about. Remember that Ed said the tones of original wood stain affect the colors a little in the mockups. When the door is primed and painted properly, the color will be truer to the paint color. It's a start and something to let your husband stew over. Maybe he'll come to your way of thinking! Good luck and let us see what you finally end up doing to front of house, I'm very interested in follow up!! :)
1 Like   May 24, 2013 at 4:04AM
Ed
Hi ejinsa, mforr, this one also looks nice on this monitor. :) SW 6244 Naval --
2 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 4:06AM
mefor
That's a good one
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 4:08AM
inkwitch
I sympathize with your dilemma about windows. I'm having windows replaced as well, and I was seriously disappointed that I had 2 choices in color: white and tan! I opted for tan as there is NO white on this house (50 yr old ranch). I opted for tan as I can work around that (house is gray/taupe). So you have 1 more choice than I have. Because I'm pushing the style towards "cottage," I opted for 6 over 1. So in your case, since you're sustaining the "ranch" style, I suggest 6 over 6. Even with fake mulliens, from the street, no one can tell they're fake (or will care). No mulliens is "modern," but it looks unfinished in this context.

Front door: the brown is classic and looks rich. If that is the "screen" door everyone's "painting," I like the teal or blue. If you aren't going to paint the door, I'd definitely paint the trim around it to match the window trim, if you don't choose white. A more "impressive" light in the entrance alcove might enhance that area.

It's a handsome house. I understand your locale; lived in s. texas. You've done great to have any plants at all!
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 4:08AM
mefor
Love to see a nice healthy shrub in big pot under porch light.
0 Likes   May 24, 2013 at 4:10AM
ejinsa
WOW! What a surprise this morning!!! You all, @ed, @mforr, @inkwitch, have given me a lot to think about. Thank you so much for your time & talents!!! Awesome to see what my door could possibly look like. I actually like the way the brown shows thru the paint - I like rustica!!! Since I started all of this & have looked at tons of pix & gotten lots of great input & ideas, I think I want to paint the shutters blue - a soft, sort of blue-green (more on the blue side) hoping that will soften the contrast between them and the white windows. And then, paint either the door (which is iffy) or paint the wall behind the door the same as the shutters??? I'd like to cool/contrast the brown.

1 Like   May 24, 2013 at 8:05AM
mefor
Here's a few colors for shutters, but I hope Ed will find you on his own. We're in very different time zones, not so easy to cross paths!!
SW 6485 raindrop
SW 6486 reflecting pool
SW 6479 drizzle
SW 6478 watery
SW 6470 waterscape
SW 6471 hazel
SW 6482 composed
All of these are soft blue greens
Looking more French
SW 6506 vast sky
SW 6507 resolute blue
SW 6508 secure blue stronger but really striking

Take a look at some of these and see if I'm on the right track. I guess you would leave front door alone match to shutters or perhaps contrast with a softer red color. Not sure. Have fun!!
1 Like   May 24, 2013 at 8:25AM
Help ~ What do I do here /what would you do?
I have a 2 story stair case that goes down to this...
Michelle Sawyer
Stonewall Enterprises, Inc
上海哪里有找小姐上门包夜按摩服务
上海小姐:139V6782V5308菲菲 上海叫小姐请致电:139V6782V5308菲菲【上海休闲会所小姐】上海酒店小姐139V6782V5308菲菲『上海小姐』『上海桑拿小姐』『上海洗浴中心小姐』139V6782V5308...
pxynmi18
Large windows with shallow mounting depth.
Help! I have large windows in the living room and dining...
linapagliuca
Corner Kitchen Window & Sliding doors
New home, White kitchen, corner butt glass window in...
vicky1013
Take wall down for an open concept look? Or keep it the way it is?
Really wanted an open concept area, when we were house...
always shopping
Cement Bathroom Sink
3 year old cement bathroom sink that is used daily....
Alan Anthony