Sheila Edmond
When painting kitchen cabinets white or black which finish should be used- semi-gloss or gloss? My kitchen does not get a lot of direct light. Thanks.
Keerthi Naidu
Hi Sheila, ever find an answer to this? I think the answer is semi-gloss but interested to know if you heard otherwise.
April 23, 2013 at 1:19pm   
Sheila Edmond
We used water based semi-gloss, but wish that I had used oil and probably will apply a coat this fall.
April 23, 2013 at 1:31pm   
Keerthi Naidu
How'd they turn out? Have any pictures?
April 23, 2013 at 1:31pm   
Rockin' Fine Finish
You can not put oil base paint over waterborne paint you will need to strip them if you want oil base paint try Benjamin Moore's advanced its an emulsion paint works great
April 23, 2013 at 9:36pm   
Sheila Edmond
Keerthi, I can't seem to find my pictures but it did turn out beautiful. However, black does show soil and dust much more easily than white in the kitchen.

Rockin', I mis-stated, we used latex which isn't much better and I doubt hubby will want to go through the effort of scuffing and priming. Thank you for the reminder.
April 23, 2013 at 11:27pm   
underedenx
flat black paint hides the soil and dust much better then semi-gloss and gloss... i did this in my last house and loved it!! i started with semi-gloss but found it looked a bit TOO painted for my taste... the flat paint gave it a softer look...
April 23, 2013 at 11:38pm   
Sheila Edmond
Flat black couldn't stand up to the abuse. We have grandbabies and cats who rub. Also, I wanted shine. The cabinets on top are white semi-gloss. I wasn't going for a country look. I was inspired by Tommy Smythe's kitchen. This blog has the pictures: http://roomsbloom.blogspot.com/2010/08/tommy-smythe.html
April 23, 2013 at 11:52pm   
Bathroom Accessories?
Ideas needed to accessorize our master bathroom....neutrals...
Too monochromatic?
Up until two weeks ago our house was pink stucco. We...
Please give advice on updating 1970's paneled den.
We need advice on wall color, replacing carpet with...
I need living room/Fireplace help!!
My husband and I bought our first home last year. We...