Which granite to go with white macaubus quartzite island and marble subway backsplash?

strayerdarbMay 20, 2013
Hello, the help here has been amazing. Here's the deal. I would like to have this beautiful White Macaubus Quartzite (3 slabs) in my kitchen, but I might (still working on it) not be able to afford it. But, I can put it on the very large island (using 1 slab), and choose a more affordable granite for the perimeter of the kitchen.

I am doing a marble subway tile backsplash and would like to ask what is a nice granite color that would look pretty with this color scheme/style?

- Transitional/leaning contemporary style
- Loads and loads of natural light
- White shaker cabinets on perimeter
- Black shaker cabinets on island (with quartzite top)
- Marble subway tile backsplash
- Woodfloors (to be refinished in the project)

2 pics attached -

1: the stone I put on hold (white macaubus quartzite)
2: my backsplash material already purchased

Could someone recommend a granite to go on the perimeter if I have to choose an alternative to the quartzite (maybe dark?), that would look good with this backsplash material and keeping in mind that I will have the quartzite on the island? The quartzite is mostly white with grey-ish veins, and there is a tiny bit of the rust/golden brown in there. It's beautiful.

0825sam
If you are using marble as your backsplash and this stone on your island I would make your perimeter as close to black as you can using either absolute black granite or look at quartz - you can do a dark uniform color black or more grey.
I don't think you should do another natural stone with movement or in a light shade if you already have marble and the quartzite going on.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 20, 2013 at 3:03PM
Erika Toohey
What's the price range per square foot of the quartzite? It's gorgeous!
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 3:22PM
strayerdarb
I don't know yet because I'm waiting on the GC and fabricator to tell me! But I have heard that it is like the most expensive granite.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 6:47PM
anniem5
love the quartzite! We are planning to do something similar with the marble like quartz on our island (black cabinets underneath) and white cabinets around the perimeter with white subway tiles and dark grey silestone (Night Mist-I think that's what it was called)
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:34PM
strayerdarb
That sounds beautiful!. I am still looking for the granite for the perimeter. Maybe absolute black honed.

To test these ideas, I printed a bunch of pictures of my quartzite and taped it on my current island, and I painted part of my current island cabinets black to see what it would look like. It looks great. The black and white looks really nice. I think your plan sounds great.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:44PM
Ann
I agree with sam0705 (as I have several times in the last few days:) I would recommend Cambria for the perimeter. I just recently had a dark quartzite (Capolavoro) installed on my island and I also couldn't afford the same for the perimeter. I kept my beige Corian (believe it or not) on the perimeter and I think it works fine for now. But, if I was starting from scratch, I'd go for a quartzite on the island to be the "art" of the kitchen and a very calm Cambria on the perimeter in a contrasting color, like you're thinking with Absolute Black granite (which would work too). If I were you, I might consider a dark gray or charcoal colored Cambria for the perimeter. The price of the quartzite will probably come in around $100/sq ft. Here is a picture of a kitchen using Capolavoro quartzite for the island and Cambria for the perimeter (not my kitchen). I know you'll have the opposite effect with the light colored island and the dark perimeter, but this shows you how quartzite works with Cambria. Also, you could consider having both products leathered or honed if you like that look.
houzz=
Kitchen · More Info
]
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:38PM
Ann
Also, you mentioned a very large island. That was my situation too (with 2 angles in it). Mine was able to fit on one large slab (using nearly all of the slab), but a seam was required that was a little unfortunate. The fabricator and I worked every possible arrangement of the seam, but it would only fit one way on one slab. Quartzite has large open movement, so the seams are problematic. I loved my quartzite so much that I put up with the consequences of one unfortunate seam, but keep it in mind if you'll need a seam for your large island. Hopefully, if the island is a rectangle, you won't need a seam and it will be amazing. Good luck - you'll LOVE your quartzite - what a great countertop material!!!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:48PM
Christine Li
We used white macaubus quartzite for our kitchen island with a waterfall edge and Paradiso Classico granite for the parameter counters. The backsplash is grey glass but white marble was a close contender. Here are some photos...I've also uploaded a before and after post of the full renovation.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:49PM
strayerdarb
Ann, my island will be a rectangle (about 8.5 ' x 4') with one clipped corner, but other thatn that it is a rectangle. Do you think a seam would be necessary for that shape? I hope not.
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 4:17AM
MBDesigns
Try Blackburn from Hanstone for a warmer look or a black quartz.
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 6:52AM
jstar60
Hi strayerdarb! If you don't want those slabs, can you give them to me?! They are absolutely stunning! I am also contemplating the white macaubus-both island and perimeter if possible. I priced out jet mist for the perimeter but it wasn't all that much cheaper- maybe it is where you live? Sounds like our kitchens will be sisters-good luck and let us know if you come up with a good alternative...
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:27AM
Ann
I don't think you'll need a seam with those dimensions - it will be beautiful!!!! I've been thinking more about your project and I think I'd go with a very calm charcoal colored quartz for the perimeter - whichever quartz manufacturer makes a perfect shade. I think I'd like that better than the stronger contrast that you'd get with absolute black granite. It would still be a nice contrast but a little more subtle, really letting the beauty of the quartzite island and marble backsplash show. I can't wait to see pictures!
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:40AM
Granite Grannies
With White Macaubas, we've done an Absolute Black Granite, a Leathered Antique Brown Granite, and a polished Antique Brown Granite, all of which have turned out very well. You absolutely should not have a seam for an island 102 x 48. Quartzite comes in very large slabs. I don't think you should mix man made and natural materials. It's like putting a cubic zirconia ring on the same finger with your diamond. You'll be able to see the difference.
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:55AM
strayerdarb
Ann, that's what I am thinking. I like honed finishes too so maybe a charcoal grey granite, or quartz. What kind of sink goes in a dark counter like that? I don't want a stainless sink; I like enambled cast iron. When I thought I was doing quartzite everywhere I was planning on a white undermount sink, no apron. But if there is a dark counter what do you think the color should be?
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:58AM
strayerdarb
Granite Grannies,

I saw some of that antique brown granite. It was polished. Would it look nice honed? I do think that a charcola or dark brown granite would look nice. And again, what color sink would you put in there with a dark granite?
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:01AM
Ann
I do like antique brown granite, but I think having some black cabinets, you would be a little better off in the charcoal direction. It would be expensive, but soapstone would be awesome as a perimeter if you decide to have your quartzite leathered or honed. I also don't like stainless sinks, so I went with Blanco Silgranit (a granite composite). I love the sink. Depending on your perimeter choice, Silgranit has (I think) 3 nice colors in the black/charcoal range. I'd definitely go with undermount. Here is my island Silgranit sink in my leathered quartzite countertop - very different look than your kitchen, but you get the idea. The sinks come in various nice configurations. It's a great sink - a little pricey - best prices are online.
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:34AM
Granite Grannies
I don't have pictures of my leathered Antique Brown/ White Macaubas Kitchen, but I do have pics of a kitchen with Leathered Antique Brown and a linear patterned white granite.
Leathered Antique Brown Granite and River Valley Granite in Vienna, VA · More Info

Leathered Antique Brown Granite · More Info

This client did a copper sink, which looked great, but a black composite (in a dark granite) or stainless would be a lovely look as well.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:40AM
Granite Grannies
I agree with Ann that soapstone could look really nice. Here'a kitchen we did with soapstone right up against White Carrara Marble, which looks similar to White Macaubas:
Soapstone Counters with White Carrara Marble Full Backsplash · More Info

Bottom line, I think if you're mixing colors, also mixing textures is a great way to make the two tone counters look intentional.
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:43AM
Ann
As far as choosing your perimeter material, just by looking at the pictures above (the one I found on Houzz with a Cambria perimeter and Christine's kitchen), you can really see how you feel about mixing natural stones as Christine did or using one natural stone and a man made solid as was done in the Cambria photo. If you search Houzz for quartzite countertops, you'll find more examples to help you make your decision as to which look appeals to you.
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:46AM
Ann
Soapstone is nice for a charcoal color. I wanted the soapstone look but a harder material which is what led me to my dark quartzite choice (which I then had leathered).
1 Like    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:49AM
Granite Grannies
Soapstone is usually more of a dusty blue/ green or light gray. For a stone with more meandering lines like soapstone, but a darker color, there's are leathered granites like Leathered Via Lattea Granite, Jet Mist Honed Granite, and Negresco Honed Granite.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:55AM
Ann
Granite Grannies - I love the kitchen with the copper sink! I think the antique brown works very well in it. I'm thinking strayerdarbs color scheme might have fewer warm tones, which is what makes me suggest more toward charcoal.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:56AM
Ann
Oh, I like the second one GG (jet mist?).
1 Like    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:58AM
Granite Grannies
Ann, I am personally a big fan of blacks, greys, and charcoals. I am redoing my kitchen right now and have black cabs. I have granite in my kitchen, but soapstone in the adjoining bathroom.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 10:02AM
strayerdarb
Yes my colors are more to the cool tones. I like that honed jet mist granite.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 10:31AM
Christine Li
Since you're using marble tiles, I think a honed soapstone or ceasar stone would work better for your kitchen. Ann is right about matching different natural stones and their movements. We chose to go with the grey glass tiles because the marble would have introduced a third variation of stone.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 3:20PM
Ann
Good point Christine. Well, Strayerdarb - I think you're armed with all sorts of information and lots of similar suggestions, so have fun picking out your perimeter. Please keep us posted as you proceed, it will be fun to see what you choose and, of course, the finished kitchen!
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 4:36PM
Which white paint for kitchen cabinets? BM Decorator white or White Dove?
Deciding between Benjamin Moore Decorator's white or...
jwlc2001
vathomas12
What color of backsplash would go with Kashmir White without going gray?
Redoing my kitchen. Having white cabinets put in tomorrow...
sshayes
Will this granite go with all white kitchen?
We are thinking to do all white maple cabinets with...
kitsva
If Only I could blow this master bath up and start over. Help!
Wow, do I need help. Our house is going on the market...
sandnsyntax
Need design ideas for huge family room wall
Hi everyone, I need help in designing the huge wall...
Shannon De Luna
where do I put my tv?
please picture this room empty aside from the fireplace....
mcbartz
Pleaseeeee!!! Bedroom Help!
My husband and I just bought our first home together...
Heather Ford
Painting over the fireplace: is it too small?
Please help me decide! Should I find a bigger painting...
irenale