Need help with this space
kalsti
My historic home includes this space in the small (and only) bathroom--- (it looks like a puppet show theater!) Is there something I can do with this space --which is over the stairs to the basement? Appreciate any ideas!
kalsti
ooops -- here is the image!
May 20, 2013 at 7:46pm   
LB Interiors
How about a glam make up area.
May 20, 2013 at 8:28pm     
LB Interiors
Can you install a double sink cabinet in this space?
May 20, 2013 at 8:32pm     
LB Interiors
Maybe a shower tub?
May 20, 2013 at 8:35pm   
LB Interiors
Another closet.
May 20, 2013 at 8:41pm   
kalsti
Thanks for the good ideas-- this "box" is located about 6 feet off the floor....
May 20, 2013 at 8:58pm     
Adrianne
O historic homes.. so historical.. I've remodeled a couple of century old homes.. and if your going to do it you have to tear out that lath and plaster out. They used organic material like leaves and horse hair.. Black mold loves those organic materials. Also.. if you tear off the wall paper you are going to find that you will have to do an oil based primer,, then spackle,, then prime again and then paint.. So here is my suggestion.
Rip out all the lath and plaster and re sheet rock the whole bathroom.
Most likely you will find that opening is wider and then you thought. You will also find it very hard to find studs in lath and plaster walls especially because they didn't have a building code and the studs are randomly placed making guessing bassed on distance hard. You might find buried treasure! (just the thought might get you threw construction)
After you sheet rock and paint, do a Self casing frame cabinet some open shelving would be cute. Add a back filler panel so the cabinet is only 24" or 18" deep Do false panels around the cabinet like maybe a white wainscoting look..
My last home had 14 layers of wall paper.. it was like a time machine.. After removing the last layer I found the wall paper was keeping the wall up.. all the plaster crumbled. What stayed on the wall I tried spackling. The moisture from the spackle absorbed into the organic material making the plaster bubble up... Thats why you have to do an oil based primer then plaster/spackle..
May 20, 2013 at 9:18pm   
kalsti
Thanks Adrianne for all the great info! (It made me laugh also). Like the ideas for the "cabinet." It seems like such a waste of good space, but it would work better to add back filler as you advise. I'm tall and I would still have to stand on a ladder to reach some of the shelving, which is also a factor.
May 21, 2013 at 7:01am   
Adrianne
good storage for "attic" type items.. My old cottage house had the original inset cabinet doors and they where randomly configured with latches instead of knobs. Funny how things come around. Maybe a great space for Christmas decorations? Or leave it be and hang marinate dolls. If you do cabinets try to salvage some of that wall paper and frame it.. great conversation piece.
May 21, 2013 at 10:54pm   
kalsti
Love it! Thanks ... Yes, the pink flamingoes are the crowning touch!
May 22, 2013 at 5:40am     
Chair needed!
I need a new chair to go with the rug. Suggestions?...
Solar attic fan? Brands? Experience?
Considering a solar attic fan for vacation home. Gambrel...
Busy bathroom
Hi Houzz family! I am finally in my new house and need...
Help design my country/vintage/modern idk what it is kitchen!
Okay, here is my kitchen. Just had the granite installed...
Engineered marble or natural marble
Iwant white flooring in my house which marble is better...