Please help with IKEA kitchen design-- support beam causing issues
eakleiven
Hi All! Thanks for reading-- we are designing our kitchen through IKEA and are stumped. We have a weight bearing support beam (6 Inches wide, drops 10.75" from ceiling) that runs along one side of the kitchen and I'm not sure how to do the upper cabinet along that beam. We have (2) options:
1) a smaller cabinet that will fit under beam and then a filler has to be used to fill gap above half of cabinet up to match top of other cabs.

2) a wine rack that fits into space between cab and beam, leaving 6 inches of open space under the beam. The lower cabinets would extend to end of wall which is open to dining room.

The wine rack option leaves questions about backsplash, but we are worried the option (1) will look awkward.

I'm going to try to attach both design renderings-- any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated!
eakleiven
Let me try again with the images--
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 6:58AM
mefor
Hi, this is my ikea kitchen, which I designed. Similar problem to yours, don't know what is on other side of your beam, I have refrigerator there, which we built a surround for. The little wine rack are the aluminum ones that ikea sells.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:13AM
eakleiven
Thanks for the reply! The other side of the beam is open to the dining room. So it is not so much a small nook as just an open space at the end of the cabinets. Love your kitchen and your colors! What counter tops did you use?
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:18AM
kimdee24
eakleiven -- if these were my two options, I would go with option 1. I think it looks less awkward than the wine rack option. Once the filler is in place, I don't think it will be noticable (or as noticiable as option 2)

The filler is just that small bit between the last full cab and the beam, yes?
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:21AM
eakleiven
Yes the filler would be for that gap-- the more I stare at it, the more I don't know what to do! The contractor was the one who initially questioned the design. We were hoping we might be able to remove the beam, but that was not an option. So he suggested the wine rack.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:29AM
S. Thomas Kutch
I would personally go with the wine rack solution, In addition I would extend the wine rack under the beam as well. It would align the upper element with the base cabinets and counter top end and will be easily accessible from the kitchen area or the dining room..........win, win in my eye.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:37AM
kimdee24
Yes... agree with STK... IF the wine rack can fill the entire shape, that would be the best solution. I just wasn't sure if you have that option or not, or if it had to be the way it was drawn above.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:39AM
mefor
We used soapstone. I think I prefer the wine rack, the fill in piece will look awkward I think. We used the smaller 9 inch shelves to fill in on another wall. Had to do a wall of tall pantry and cleaning supply units, it's a beach house without a separate pantry or basement. I'll try to find pic of side with little shelves. We are still setting up the kitchen so it's a little messy in some areas.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:41AM
mefor
By the way, I'm really happy with the ikea kitchen. We did it because we restored the whole house and didn't want to spend too much on cabinets. I have to say I was really impressed. The hardware is great and the finish holds up great.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:43AM
eakleiven
The wine rack is 9" wide and the beam is only 6", so no way to add a partial wine rack of the same style under beam. Anything else we could use to fill space?
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:46AM
mefor
Couple of pics
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:53AM
mefor
One more
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:54AM
mefor
I wouldn't put anything under beam, it's only 6 inches, you probably won't notice too much. But I think you might notice any kind of weird fill in detail on the end.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:56AM
eakleiven
Thanks mforr for posting pics! I'm glad to hear you are happy with your kitchen-- looks great! We are doing the same style cabinets and also doing a wall of cabinets for pantry space. We are going to go with caesarstone in Raven I think for the counters. I'm going to see if there is a way to fill in that space with another wine rack, maybe it can be cut down to size.
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 7:59AM
eakleiven
Just saw your last post-- that's what I'm worried about too. If the wine rack doesn't flow right, it might look forced.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:01AM
If you want a wine rack there, you can have one made for the space. You don't have to limit yourself to the dimensions or styles of existing wine racks. Building a wine rack is not a particularly difficult carpentry job.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:05AM
S. Thomas Kutch
Or if you're not really handy with finish carpentry, a good finish carpenter or cabinet maker could duplicate one that will fit the exact space and look just like it was part of the product line...........i'ts the smallest of details that can make the difference between wow and WOW.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:20AM
eakleiven
What if I left that that space open under beam and put something like small glass bud vases hanging on the wall?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:36AM
eakleiven
Or maybe something like this-- to add a little organic interest to the space?
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:47AM
mefor
That would be fine, ikea sells things to hang on kitchen walls or backsplash areas. Maybe you could take a look at something there. I think they had something with little white pots that you could plant little herbs in. Check out their site
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 8:49AM
OnePlan
I agree with option 3 - ie nothing under the beam ! Will look so much better that way ! Keeps the balance spot on too !
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:01PM
mefor
Check the fintorp line it comes in black, stainless with pots in black, white, green and galvanized. The ones I was looking for apparently aren't available anymore. I used some containers on a wall in laundry, but these are really old, I probably bought them at least 12 years ago.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:26PM
Victoria
Nothing under the beam but swap around the position of the pan drawers with the small drawers to the right of the stove. Pan drawers would look better mirroring the ones to the left of the stove. That way both sets of pan drawers have a double wall unit over and the small drawer unit is under the beam. Makes the kitchen more symmetrical.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 1:31PM
eakleiven
Thanks Victoria! I was so focused on the beam, I didn't even think about that!

Thanks mforr for the suggestion-- what faucet did you use in the above pic? I've been looking at the Moen Arbor with motion sense.
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:04AM
mefor
I used a delta faucet in kitchen and an ikea one in laundry. I also flanked my stove with symmetrical pot/pan drawers. Looks great, can't see it in pictures I posted. Can't believe I didn't see it in your diagram
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:10AM
eakleiven
Here is a picture of the other side-- it is a galley kitchen with a row of tall pantry extending along the whole wall. You can see there is another gap on the right side of the fridge under the beam. They were just going to use a filler, but I'm wondering if we should leave it as a small open shelf for a nice wooden cutting board. Thanks for all your input!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:17AM
mefor
Looking good! Good luck with everything!!
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:19AM
eakleiven
Thanks again for all your suggestions!
1 Like    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:20AM
New rental kitchen, help please
We are moving into a new rental on June 1st and I have...
Thera
Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and...
Erin
I need help! Kitchen floors and cabinet help please!!
We just bought our first home and have decided to...
camacholindy
Crawl Space Help with support and footings
Hi, I need some advice. Yes I will need to get local...
Lizabeth
Should we paint the dark wood ceiling beams white?
We have just purchased a 1970s home (not our furniture...
kayliwild
My entryway stumps me...
I want to liven up my entry way, but it has so many...
Heather
Kitchen cabinets uneven to window! Please help with ideas
I need to minimize this asymmetry. The cabinet to window...
Kelley Blevins
Need to find the right curtains
I recently moved in to this house and am still getting...
sheerinca
ererteryt
rterteryterye
ptzrhbn5137
update 60's bathroom
Right now I can't replace vanity, tub or counter/sinks...
Terri