HELP! Beautiful mid century table needs chairs and a rug!
naomikasz
This is a table I scored at craigslist. Mid century danish modern beauty! I'm trying to figure out what rug would go and what chairs woul go with it. I was thinking the eames white eiffel tower legged chairs or metal gray tolix, but my hubsand hates how uncomfortable they look...Any other suggestions?? Bottom is how the rest of my living room looks. Colors are gray/chocolate/whote and a floral colorful print.
naomikasz
I was thinking something like this maybe, but this is too much for used chairs...http://www.etsy.com/listing/150469012/set-of-6-mid-century-dining-chairs?ref=sr_gallery_10&ga_search_query=6+dining+chairs&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_ship_to=US&ga_search_type=all
May 21, 2013 at 10:26am     
Brenda
I love the white eiffel tower legged chairs ... those would look great. Too bad hubby is opposed.

How about Louis Ghost Chairs?

Oh ... and a Nelson bubble lamp overhead!
May 21, 2013 at 10:32am     
carolins
Great find!

Really comfortable design classics are Wishbone chairs (there are more affordable copies available, but I don't know if they are as comfortable as the original ones).

loft project Berlin
Sag Harbor, NY Residence
North Bondi Project
NELLIE

Also good: Jacobsen series 7 chair:
Great Turnstile London

Saarinnen executive armchair:
Dining Room
May 21, 2013 at 10:33am     
naomikasz
I love the whote ghost chairs!!! "Over my dead body. Your ass' sitting on bare plastic" yeah, that would not go over well ;)) Poor guy, he let me pick everything, but this battle he might just win ;))
May 21, 2013 at 10:36am   
naomikasz
Wow, the saarinen would actually be a great compromise, they are padded and look ultra comfortable. I found something similar on overstock for an awesome price, but baaaad reviews...Any where else I can get them for around $150 a chairs?
May 21, 2013 at 10:38am   
carolins
haha... he may like this chair, preformed ass in bare plastic :-D

I like the ones you found on Etsy. For 100 pound per chair you'll have difficulty finding new ones.
May 21, 2013 at 10:42am     
naomikasz
Hhahahaa, awesome! yeah, he's not very into stylish stuff, he just wants comfortable. We're moving out of the country, so we won't be able to buy anything any time soon. These must be comfortable/stylish/affordable. Is there even such a thing???
May 21, 2013 at 10:44am   
carolins
Comfortable, stylish, affordable... hmm... perhaps Ikea (or indeed second hand)
May 21, 2013 at 10:48am   
naomikasz
Second hand where I live (NY) is actually super expensive, sometimes it's cheaper to buy new! Especially that mid century/danish look. Don't see anything at Ikea...boooooo....:(
May 21, 2013 at 10:55am   
May 21, 2013 at 10:56am     
nFORMAL design
I like the Eames Eiffel Tower chair, especially in the color below. Another option I think would look good is the Eames Molded Plywood chair like the one I provided. The other question is has your husband actually sat in the Eiffel Tower chair, or is he just turned off based on looks alone as you stated above. Who knows, he may change his mind if able to try one out first.
May 21, 2013 at 11:00am     
naomikasz
I have the eames arm chair with wooden legs. He accepts it, but far from loving it. He just doesn't find it comfortable, he's used to the cushioned bottom and that's just plastic....Is there even a compromise? Do I just get it behind his back since I know he won't wanna deal with returning it? :))))
May 21, 2013 at 11:07am   
Dressingrooms Interiors
I have just designed a mid-century modern dining room and i've done a blogpost on it which may give you some ideas.www.dressingroomsinteriors.wordpress.com I found some really great chairs on made.com- photo is of the ones I specified as my client especially wanted stacking chairs but they have many others all at very reasonable prices
May 21, 2013 at 11:09am     
naomikasz
Wow, I love the chairs on made.com!!! Do they only sell in England though? Seems like England or France are the only options!!!
May 21, 2013 at 11:11am   
naomikasz
yes~!~~~~~ we might have a winner!!!
May 21, 2013 at 11:20am     
Brenda
I have always loved these chairs ... part louis ghost, part fun padded pucci-esk fabric ... I don't think they are exactly "budget friendly" though ... [houzz=
]
May 21, 2013 at 11:21am   
Dressingrooms Interiors
thats interesting- I thought Made sold worldwide but may be wrong.I love the pucci ghost chairs though-where are they from?
May 21, 2013 at 11:26am   
Brenda
a tulip chair might be a nice compromise ... sleek and modern for you, padded for hubby ... and I've seen them online as cheap as $150 each [houzz=
]
May 21, 2013 at 11:34am     
naomikasz
What do you guys think of these??? My husband likes them, but im not sure...
May 22, 2013 at 7:30am     
carolins
Beautiful chair! Do you think the wood goes with your table?
And they are very angular. But I do like them. Although, like you I'm not sure if they're the best choice to go with your table. Let's see what the others say :-)
May 22, 2013 at 7:35am   
V LT
meh... those are OK but some of these other suggestions are fantastic! For such a cool table, you really should go for some cool(er) chairs.
May 22, 2013 at 7:35am   
naomikasz
Nooo, you guys, now I'm more confused....;) I wanted some funky white chairs, to make it lighter, but all the ones I'm looking at are plastic, and that won't fly with the Mr. I also found some really cool orange chairs, but also plastic....Whyyyyyyyyy
May 22, 2013 at 7:38am   
naomikasz
I think you may be right, the table has nice round lines, and this chair is very squared and angular...I still think the wishbone would go well, but not sure how to pick the right color...http://www.amazon.com/LexMod-C24-Wishbone-Chair-Walnut/dp/B007VLXFA8 walnut?
May 22, 2013 at 7:39am   
naomikasz
I meant this wishbone in walnut. How do I know if this is the right brown> That table has a medium to dark stained wood. Not sure what it is.
May 22, 2013 at 7:45am   
naomikasz
This is the true color of the table, its kinda like a darker, redder teak, which is totally not teak ;))
May 22, 2013 at 7:46am   
V LT
That is a beautiful table...
May 22, 2013 at 7:47am   
naomikasz
Dude, $800 off of craigslist! I was so happy, I searched for months! But then again, it would cost me a fraction if I didn't live in NYC...
May 22, 2013 at 7:49am   
carolins
To be on the safe side, you could of course go for natural wood wishbone chairs, black (always good!), white (there you have your cool white chairs that are not plastic).
My personal choice would be the black ones. I think. ;-)
May 22, 2013 at 7:54am   
naomikasz
@carolins really? I want something light and breezy and cool but also to go with the table well. This room underneath was my dream dining room. My table is a little different and the wood stain is diffrent, but I love this combo and not sure if I feel risky enough to mix different wood stains..... How do I know if it goes with each other? Is there any golden rule of mixing wood stains?
May 22, 2013 at 8:00am   
carolins
Yep, really. But then again, I love black. And it seems to go with the rest of your furniture too.

Have you seen these? http://www.amazon.com/Sonore-Solid-Mid-Century-Style-Dining/dp/B003ZSH8LI/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hg_2

Follow the link under this picture, an ideabook about mixing woods:

May 22, 2013 at 8:09am   
Dressingrooms Interiors
If you get the walnut wishbone chairs home & you think they look a bit light you could always stain them darker. But contrasting wood works well- it adds interest.
May 22, 2013 at 10:28am   
Toronto Designers
I love the idea of a low back parson's chair. So comfy and classic.
May 22, 2013 at 10:30am   
naomikasz
i just put those with the table, just to see how it looks. it's my desk chair and extra chair. my hubby doesn't like it too much, but i think it looks great with a little stylin' ;) what do you think?
May 22, 2013 at 10:33am   
onthefence
I saw an article the other day on a dining chair that Ikea will be introducing to the US market. I'm not positive of the eta but I think it's this summer. Here's a photo. I'd really like this with your table.
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20246223/

BTW - spectacular table!!
May 22, 2013 at 10:34am   
naomikasz
We both agreed on the keneddy chair, so I think this will be happening. Wish the bottom could be white though, I think it looks great with this table.
May 22, 2013 at 10:34am     
naomikasz
onthefence, great minds think alike, these are very similar! wow, I wish those were available now! we're moving to israel in 3 months so we gotta have everything like about now...but it's stunning!
May 22, 2013 at 10:36am     
onthefence
They really are almost identical! The back of your chair seems to be a bit more character though. Great call!
May 22, 2013 at 10:38am   
Need help selecting a dining room chandelier for mid century table.
I inherited this walnut stained mid century dining...
Mixing mid century chairs with rustic dining room table?
Would the look be off if i paired wegner style wishbone...
mid century Danish Teak Chair - needs new seat support straps hardware
I have a really cool teak chair that is in great condition,...
Can anyone help me identify these mid-century modern chairs?
Hi All, My parents just picked up these sweet mid-century...
Need help mid century modernizing our kitchen
We bought a cozy and bright mid century home last year...
Need help decorating bedroom
Uneven ceiling is feature of the room but we are not...
What to put on this wall?
I am wondering what to put on the white wall to the...
Have you used Ikea cabinets in your kitchen?
I am smack dab in the middle of a kitchen remodel and...
What kind/colour carpet?
We have a small terrace house, the down stair living...