Need help with mantel decor

mbuschowMay 21, 2013
Hello,

I would love to hear your thoughts and ideas on how to decorate my fireplace. The fireplace is so big, I'm having a hard time decorating it. Is what I have enough? Would a picture look better than the clock? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tennisanyone
I would take down the clock. I'm personally not a fan of a huge clock in a room. A beautiful picture would be better.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:00PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Fireplace is nice. But busy. Don't over do. Remove all you have now. Replace clock with bigger sunburst mirror. Make sure it stays 6" from ceiling. Only 3-4" above mantel. That should fill in wall space. Small object on big firepl. Does not work put 3 very tall candle sticks on one end of mantel. Get a large basket and fill with firewood. Place on end of hearth. That is all you need. On opposite side of fireplace put large silk palm in a ceramic pot. You need to fill in space big plants is a good way.
3 Likes    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:05PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Paint firepl same as rest of room. No accent walls, dated. I like the green.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:06PM
colonialgp
Remove the clock, vases, candles (too small to even be noticed) and replace with art above the fireplace. You need a large piece to fill that space. You might want to paint that chimney an accent color that is slightly darker than your walls. The wall to the right needs a table or chest with a lamp, art, collectibles, etc. to balance with your tv on the left.
1 Like    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:06PM
sheryl N
remove the clock. Buy a beautiful large round or square mirror. On the left put 2 tall candlesticks in silver or even stone if you can find them. Use candles that will accent your furniture. On the left of the mantel put a mantle clock or vases that accent your furniture but contrast with the candles that you choose. Also, put a beautiful tall picture or piece of artwork, even a framed poster on that wall to the right near the window. A short, round piece of stone vase or basket style would be beautiful on the bottom right side of the fireplace instead of that black piece that you have there and remove those candles. :-)
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:07PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Also a area rug in a print would work better. Picking up the black from furn and the wall shade.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:07PM
Nancy Travisinteriors
Paint mantel a dark gray.
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:08PM
decoenthusiaste
Tennis and I are on the same page regarding clocks. Unless they are antique, wind with a key and chime, they have little value as decor. Shop your home for other stuff and think in groups of three. Disparate items can be spray painted in one color to give some cohesion. A picture no wider than the firebox opening can work. I'd want to paint the wall above the mantel to match the walls on either side of it. Have you considered built-in shelving to right and left of it? I see shelves on the right and something similar to this configuration on the left to help angle your TV for better viewing.
Cottage details make the difference · More Info
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:09PM
mbuschow
Thank you all, so many great tips! I have thought about putting shelves to the right of the fireplace, but they have to be narrow so the back door can open. Should the shelves be dark brown to match the mantel?

Also, I have a mirror above the couch across the fireplace. I guess I could do a artwork above the couch and a mirror above the fireplace.

Thank you all again!
    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:28PM
PRO
Sharon Charboneau, RESA Pro, Interior Stylist
I agree with Travis Interior's ideas. 1st paint the wall same colour, paint or stain mantel (I would go black, not grey), take mirror from behind sofa & place on mantel & see if you like it better there.

Remember in design, we want mirror to reflect something attractive & expand the room. Does current placement of mirror do this better than over mantel?

Art would work there too. Nothing heavy & framed - I woud recommend a large unframed canvas of something you enjoy or dream of....beach scene, favourite flowers in colours that will work well with wall colour & pop at same time.

Mark's photo is lovely - can U see difference in your fp & one in his photo & what is on mantel?

Don't put shelves up if door opens onto that wall. May be a good location for another colourful piece of art, a poster....a tapestry? Have fun!!!
2 Likes    Bookmark   May 21, 2013 at 12:54PM
mbuschow
Thank you for all the great ideas and inspirations! How about the art piece below? This is a mock-up and I'm wondering if I should get a canvas or have it framed? If framed, should the frame be black or brown to match the mantel? Hubby really doesn't want me to paint the mantel so we're going to keep it brown.

Also, how about this shelf to the right of the fireplace?

Thanks again!
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 8:16AM
mbuschow
or would something more simple work better?
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 12:55PM
PRO
how far do these units stick out? will they affect door opening? do you need this shelving? I don't think they are needed, and would still go with something simpler, like a poster or tapestry on that wall.
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:03PM
PRO
Mock up is too small for this space. See my earlier comment re: choice of art & whether framed or not.
    Bookmark   May 22, 2013 at 9:14PM