Dining room interior
brook5y
I have just purchased an old dining table & chairs to go in my victorian property & now have no idea how to decorate around this. If to paint/ wallpaper, what colours, patterns etc. Id like it to look classy but possibly with a shabby chic/ cottage feel to tie in with the rest if the house ( if that's possible). There's a fireplace one end of the room & radiator with cover the other end. It's also doesn't have a lot of natural light! arrgh no idea, help
OnePlan
Hi ! It's lovely !! The upholstery look blue on big pic - but more green on small pic ?!?!?
May 21, 2013 at 1:59pm     
maria957
I love carpets. Area rugs, throw rugs, anything CARPET-Y lol. I always feel carpet changes the feel of a place, depending on the color & grade of carpet, style, etc. - if I had that dining room table, I would go towards doing something to the walls to draw attention to the walls & add an accessory or centerpiece for the table to tie it in with the wall design. I would also do something to my floors to set off the entire look. As far as colors, well - lemme say this ---> I like dramatic, bold, very attractive design but then I love comfort at the same time & I like to make sense. I would be very careful in my choices but what comes to mind when I look at that dining table is grey, purple & anything in the purple family, traces of silver, and earth tones. Lots of ideas can come from those colors & you do not have to choose just ONE color & get set on it, you can mix it up & get creative. This was all my immediate visual when I looked at your dining table. I hope I helped ..... :)
May 21, 2013 at 2:11pm   
maria957
I just took a closer look at your chairs. They are in the green family. Now I feel like I gave you some wrong advice LOL - but maybe you can still give consideration to the colors I suggested in my post above, because you really can get very creative with those colors and make it look beautiful. But I want to suggest a some more colors: pastel green, lemon/pastel yellow, or beige/champagne ......
May 21, 2013 at 2:13pm   
brook5y
Yes they're more of a green than blue. I need to give them a good clean & a little TLC but can't go wrong when the table & chairs cost me just £100! ; )
May 21, 2013 at 2:36pm     

If this is the correct color, this Orla Kiely paper would be so much fun. A little Victorian feel to it, but modern and fun.

P S…You did not purchase an antique set, I am sure you are aware of that, so do not go overboard should you consider recovering the chairs. I think you paid about $150.00 and that is just about its worth.
May 21, 2013 at 2:46pm     
Dalia
your table with chairs are beautiful, well worth showing off....check out some glossy wallpaper with embellishment....glossy silver or gold, large patterns will make your dining table stand out....also add a chandelier and voila a room with conversation!
May 21, 2013 at 6:57pm     
klea1983
Totally dig Dalia's idea. If you are gonna put a large pattern kinda silvery wallpaper then keep it simple , meaning not much wall decoration. If you decide to paint the walls I would d choose a light bluish gray color.
May 21, 2013 at 7:10pm     
Dalia
thanks for the compliment, I do think wallpaper is the best way to go...the paint might make the furniture blend in instead of stand out:-)
May 21, 2013 at 7:14pm     
Genevieve
Very nice find indeed, I have found this wall paper for you

]
May 21, 2013 at 7:52pm     
olldroo
The fabric on your chairs is exquisite, be careful not to use anything that will overshadow it. A simple embossed wallpaper will enhance, I like klea's suggestion of silvery and definitely a chandelier with some bling. Lack of light in a dining room is a bonus, it creates a nice intimate feel. Found this room that might give you some ideas

]
May 21, 2013 at 8:39pm     
OnePlan
I would grab some dulux paint sample cards and pic the best match for the chair fabric and paint the walks and rad cabinet in that subtle colour add a chunky fruit bowl to centre of table and just let it stand out beautifully on it's own ! maybe add patterend curtains - if you feel it needs it ... will look lush !! great find !!
May 21, 2013 at 11:22pm   
All 4 Show, LLC
A large mirror or a mirror collage' will help reflect light in a dark room...good luck!
May 22, 2013 at 4:20am     
All 4 Show, LLC
May 22, 2013 at 4:21am     
Dalia
if wallpaper is too much to cover a full room, you can break it up by adding custom wainscoting, craftsman style
May 22, 2013 at 4:51am   
Genevieve
I don't think that its too much to wallpaper all 4 walls ,if we go back in time rooms were decorated in that style and in respect to that furniture it is more than okay :) The only thing that is in question is the cost of wallpapering a room

Kew WGC-150 Wallpaper
Portfolio
May 22, 2013 at 5:02am     
brook5y
Wow there's some really great suggestions & ideas here. I guess I just need the confidence to try different things.
I was worried about putting patterned wallpaper up when there is a pattern on the chair. Thought it would need to be plain and basic .. Spose I need to just get samples & see what works
I'm loving this website : )
May 22, 2013 at 6:20am     
olldroo
Keep searching for photos here too brook, they really give you ideas for mixing and matching patterns.
May 22, 2013 at 6:27am   
graycow
and don't forget to have fun!
May 22, 2013 at 8:58am   
BeyondFrames
You got such beautiful dinning table and chairs!
I wouldn't go for patterned wallpaper in a small room lacking natural light.

What I would do is try to figure out a color scheme starting from the chairs: maybe a greyish green or a light golden paint. I would keep the dinning room light , airy and elegant instead of bold and busy. But this is up to one's taste.

Hang a great chandelier above the dinning table and matching candle sticks with candles on the radiator cover and a vase with flowers, or vintage hourglass - endless possibilities :)
A big mirror above the radiator cover and great piece of art art on the fireplace or viceversa. If you choose to hang art over the radiator cover you could also add a picture light to enhance it and to add soft lighting .
Or you could use wall sconces
Or the mirror above the console you already have. and the vase with flowers. and on the radiator cover the candlesticks and some brass fruit bowl or antique silver

Shop Thrift stores for great bargains or Flea Markets.
I would also paint the inside of the fireplace in darker color and fill it with candles if this works or put logs in.

Take your time and dream about it!
6-Arm Grande Claire Chandelier
Waldorf 6-Arm Chandelier
Pair of Vintage Brass Candelabras by High Street Market

Robert Abbey Meilleur Large Picture Light in Dark Antique Nickel
"Lucia" Wall Sconce
Baroque Ornate Candle Wall Sconces - VIntage
Gold Leaf Candle Sconce
Visual Comfort Sconces
Vintage Brass Hourglass by High Street Market://www.houzz.com/photos/1084522/Brass-Bowl-Footed-Base-Vintage-Scalloped-Curves-by-The-Vintaquarian-traditional-accessories-and-decor
Brass Bowl Footed Base Vintage Scalloped Curves by The Vintaquarian
May 22, 2013 at 9:05am     
May 22, 2013 at 9:14am     
Genevieve
The pattern on your chairs is not overpowering at all ,if someone could load the photos of them to have a visual it would be wonderful ,I don't have a clue how to do this :(.
May 22, 2013 at 12:14pm   
olldroo
Genevieve, the second photo is a close-up of the chair fabric - is that what you mean? It definitely is not an overpowering pattern, it is beautiful and delicate and my concern would be putting other patterns near it that would overpower the chairs.
May 22, 2013 at 7:06pm   
BeyondFrames
I found this chandelier and I just had to show it to you :)

May 22, 2013 at 9:17pm   
olldroo
Beyond frames - that is really lovely. Is there a rule of thumb as to how many arms according to the size of the room? I'm wondering if this might be a little too big.
May 22, 2013 at 9:28pm   
BeyondFrames
There are some general guidelines when it comes to choosing a chandelier but as far as number of arms I'd say that having more arms is just a matter of light level , not size - they just determine its lighting capacity - the more arms the brighter the interior will be. As these are chandeliers without lamp shades ( which would absorb part of the light) something to be considered is the room capacity to absorb light : matt and textured surfaces and dark wood,dark colored walls absorb more light as opposite to light colored or shiny surfaces.

I'd say that going for a chandelier that is too small is way worth than having too much light - the last one could be easily corrected with dimmers when needed.

As far as the size concerns the chandelier that goes above a dinning table shouldn't be greater that the total width of the dinning table and the lowest point of the chandelier should hang at least 30 inches above the table's surface.
But here on Houzz more knowledgable houzzers could give an advice.
May 22, 2013 at 10:15pm     
Nancy Walton
I have heard, both here on Houzz and elsewhere, that the general rule of thumb for sizing the chandelier is the size of the diameter of the light fixture should not be greater than one-half the width of the table. So if your table is 48", the light fixture should be about 24."
May 22, 2013 at 10:30pm     
olldroo
Thank you ladies, that is really interesting and always handy to know. My home is too modern for a chandelier but I just bought a new pendant for over my dining room table. I followed the "rules" for hanging, but it is driving me up the wall as I constantly bang my head on it whenever I go to reach across the table for anything - my table is currently being used for curtain making, my No 1 priority just now. I think I'm too much of a klutz to always follow the rules.
May 22, 2013 at 10:53pm   
Nancy Walton
Move your table out from under it when making your curtains, LOL!
May 22, 2013 at 11:51pm     
olldroo
Don't have enough room - life wasn't meant to be easy!!! :)
May 23, 2013 at 12:04am   
pattiegoode
brook5y, nice find! Congrats! Your home looks wonderful to me. Consider painting the fireplace for an accent wall. Maybe you could hang a china platter of your choice over it. I can't really tell, but it looks like stucco. I've always loved a dining room with a FP! If you do long panels or maybe shutters at the windows it will help to set that wall up as the focal point of the room. Adding art work will make a huge difference, too. I like a juxtaposition of traditional & contemporary to mix things up a bit. It looks like the buffet is not part of the set. If that's correct, either paint it a contrasting color (orange? emerald green?) or skirt it. What light fixture is in the room right now?
Traditional Dining Room
Greenlee Kitchen
Renovated Tuscan Farm House, Siena, Italy
McCroskey Interiors
Linen Table Skirt for All-Purpose Table
May 23, 2013 at 1:45am   
John Reling
Congrats! Your home looks wonderful to me. Thanks! http://www.perfectpicturelighting.com/chrome-lights-for-artwork.php
May 23, 2013 at 2:09am   
Advance Windows & Doors
Looking Great! Create Privacy with Pocket Doors and try to highlight Artwork
May 23, 2013 at 4:04am   
BeyondFrames
I'm a bit confused by having a light fixture half of the size of table's diameter . I' m a visual, so I might be wrong, but this rule makes things a bit more complicated : following it when choosing the chandelier it might become a pain (think rectangle) or always doing math (or overquestioning ) whenever we find a chandelier that we like ; and it's also easy to get a chandelier that is too small being afraid not to go over that magic half size....
Another rule that makes a lot of sense to me is having a light fixture that is about 12 inches narrower than the width of the table it's hanging over. ( no math here - just keep in mind that the chandelier has to be a bit smaller than the dinning table)
Bottom line I think the chandelier shouldn't be greater than the dinning table, shouldn't overpower the room but also shouldn't be too small, lost in space ; should hang high enough and match the overall design.
I understand the chandelier as jewelry for an evening dress :)
May 23, 2013 at 7:03am   
olldroo
Beyond Frames - I am always fascinated by the "rules" (who actually makes the rules anyway??), but I like to know what is considered right as a guide. Getting proportions right with respect to anything in a room is important, but, like you, I prefer visual. When shopping though it is hard to visualise and this is when the 'rules' come in handy. Unfortunately we don't enjoy good return policies.
May 23, 2013 at 7:17am   
I think the issue is a combo of proportion and comfort. Diners will feel more comfortable if they don't get the impression that something is hanging over their heads. That is why you leave a 1/4 of the table all around for the place settings to be out from under the fixture. I have seen some really oversized ones that look great in photos, but wonder how they work in a real dining situation.
May 23, 2013 at 10:51am   
garyson
Garray Inc.. Most dining rooms lack definition. I would suggest installing a chair rail at the height of the top of the rad cover, and architectural mouldings in squares or rectangles below the chair rail. Paint the lower part of your walls in a warm white. Compliment your chair fabric with a bold (larger pattern)wallpaper. I favour an eclectic approach, and would probably opt for track lighting with a number of halogen spotlights which can be strategically placed to light the table surface but also used to throw light on artwork (wall washers).
May 23, 2013 at 1:07pm   
Dalia
like your comments until the lighting....crystal chandelier or a pendant light would work best for this small space
May 23, 2013 at 3:15pm   
The lighting "rule of thumb" only applies if there are no tall people in the household. Never hang it so low that the tallest person can bump or look down into it (if a drum, for instance.) The fact that you're bumping your head calls for raising it a "smidge."
May 24, 2013 at 8:09am   
carygrant
Get a chandelier, put a mantle over the fireplace w/ color related items that go w/ the chair coverings & a carpet to ground it all. Put candle holders of various shapes & sizes on the table itself. The room is a nice size but get rid of that buffet & please put your sneakers away.
May 26, 2013 at 6:39am   
quantumnerd
Well great buy on the table and chairs, I would use this color paint on the walls, and then paint the mantle something bright and more blue as a little whimsy. Like the color of the candlesticks. Paint the radiator cover the same as the walls. I would put candlesticks on the table like the color in the picture I posted. And a brown rug to pull out the color of your table. It would be similiar to the picture I posted but more along the lines of shabby chic.
May 26, 2013 at 7:31am     
quantumnerd
I forgot a picture :) It's hard to tell what color the chair fabric is so you might want to try out some paint swatches on the wall to see how they look with light and the fabric of the chairs.
May 26, 2013 at 7:33am   
quantumnerd
On the mantle you might want to put something like this. I will also post the link how to make it. http://www.craftberrybush.com/2012/09/burlap-canvas-and-hydrangeasa-fall.html Sorry I took up three posts lol.
May 26, 2013 at 7:46am   
quantumnerd
Here is a great chandelier. :) Pottery Barn called Celeste.
May 26, 2013 at 8:12am   
CMR Interiors & Design Consultations Inc.
Small rooms like this must have wallpaper! It costs more but would make this room come together.
May 26, 2013 at 8:24am   
pattiegoode
carygrant, have you ever taken & posted any pix of your own home? Be nice! It's not as easy as you think...
May 26, 2013 at 11:04am     
aimran
everyone has posted soem very nice suggestions...

I like the decor pieces by beyondframes.. just the right colour...
And like the wall paper by Genevieve as it has your chair upholstery colour as well as the small contrasting colour from the chairs only.. a fine printed, two coloured (one cheery colour in 10% & the other complimenting your chairs' upholstery) wallpaper alone would do wonders for your room. it'll look classy and welcoming..
And i like the chandelier by decoenthusiaste for your room. as it isn't overpowering yet fancy, but a little too long though.. Like the size of chandelier by quantumnerd though..
Came across these: Japanese&Korean Style Hand Painted Silk Wallpaper
nice dining table & chairs! Moroccan Grass Cloth Wallpaper, Black Superfresco Paintables Classica Wallpaper Damask Wallpaper or a feature wall in this: Graham & Brown - Pure Paintable Wallpaper rest paint.. You could do opposite walls in wall paper and the two opposite in some nice light greenish/teal paint..

okay, this is wallpaper overload, but i will share it anyway :p *sorry* :) hope you don't mind.. nine in all.. Sweet Bay Wallpaper Gold White Peacock Wallpaper Sand Ironwork Wallpaper Ribbed Wallpaper (Turquoise/Gold)
May 27, 2013 at 11:32pm   
aimran
how about a mirror above the radiator cover to make the room appear larger? and golden/silver matte paint on the radiator cover after the wall paper is decided..

you could also go the coral/orange wall paper way too.. that colour being picked up from the dots in teh chair upholstery.. looking forward to your transition! Good luck!
May 27, 2013 at 11:41pm   
brook5y
There's some great ideas & suggestions. My boyf has already got me a chandelier & I love some of the accessories suggestest but its the wallpaper/paint I'm struggling with. I'm even considering selling the table & chairs now cause I just can't work out how to do the walls.
The pics on this website are incredible & I like so many but think I'm stuck cause of the furniture. (& yes the other unit will be going, it's just there for the time being) ; )
May 28, 2013 at 1:03am   
OnePlan
That seems a shame to sell it !!!
May 28, 2013 at 2:59am     
Nancy Walton
The wallpaper that Genevieve posted above would be just darling in your dining room. You could do the chair rail as was suggested, paint it and the rest of the trim white, then paper the top half of the wall.
May 28, 2013 at 3:30am     
brook5y
I love the chair rail idea & am defo going to go with this. It's the colours & design of wallpaper. I've bought countless tester pots & some wallpaper samples but have liked anything yet. I'm in the UK & a lot of what's being posted is US so need to see what I can find : )
May 28, 2013 at 5:34am   
Nancy Walton
Sometimes they will ship international, but it will cost you. I hope you find one suitable. Don't sell the dining set, it's so English looking!
May 28, 2013 at 6:40am     
alwaysdesigning
Nice furniture. Wainscot the walls, and paint in a light color. For easy wainscot, just add trims on the wall in a panel design and paint the trim and wall white. Above the wainscot paint a darker dramatic color. With the upholstery color, a deep blue would be wonderful. Add a dramatic light fixture. Add a dramatic rug. Glam up the radiator; make it look like a buffet with a nice wood top. Or add a recycled hutch top to it and make it look like a hutch. You need a focal point at the radiator wall. Add some wall sconces on each side. Good luck.

[houzz=Blount Design]
[houzz=Coastal Living Dining Room]
[houzz=Lakeview - dining room]
[houzz=Client Home - Gull Lake, MI]
[houzz=Nantucket in So Cal]
[houzz=Farinelli Construction Inc]
[houzz=Colorado Bungalow]
[houzz=Dining room restored]
[houzz=Billiards Room]
May 28, 2013 at 7:14am     
alwaysdesigning
Also, on our 8' long table I prefer a billiard style light fixture that will give light the length of the table and is narrow and not in the way. Good luck.
[houzz=Bryant Small Billard Light | Circa]
[houzz=uttermost vetraio, 3-lt kitchen island Lighting 21009. HomeThangs.com]
May 28, 2013 at 7:20am     
aimran
Hi, found a wall paper that should work perfectly in your room.. posting link of room & wallpaper..
It is subtle enough.. matches your uphostery colour.. ornate yet simple.. brings in another colour too (metallic and white).. it'll even work with the idea Nancy Walton mentioned above:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100629290?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Sea+Breeze+Large+Floral+Trail+Wallpaper&storeId=10051&superSkuId=203063896&N=5yc1v&R=100629290#.UaWcMKKLDSs

And please don't sell the dining set.. it is perfect in all ways..
Please post some night shots of your room from the kitchen door for better understanding of colours in your room. Also of the new chandelier.
May 28, 2013 at 11:31pm   
rhodalynn
I would put some light colored shabby chic type wallpaper on the walls, some sheer curtains on a pretty pole on the windows, and a nice chandelier with some bling to it. I'm not crazy about rugs in a dining room. Also a few pictures on the wall and I think the room would be perfect.
May 29, 2013 at 9:24am   
Dalia
Don't give up on the wallpaper idea...check out Benjamin Moore's store consultant for suggestions, take a picture of your dining room with furniture and see what ideas/suggestions come back....or go to any other paint store. I am sure people will be willing to help out.
May 29, 2013 at 3:10pm     
Check out the Phillip Jeffries wallpaper website. Great portfolio pics of ideas.
May 29, 2013 at 8:56pm   
aimran
grasscloth sort is a pretty good idea too..
May 29, 2013 at 10:33pm   
You can put a print wall paper with the small print in chairs. Just stay in same colors. So get wall paper with blu/green in chairs as background color and a print in creams. Put above a chair rail. Under paint the main color in wallpaper, incl radiator. All trim white. Use silver accents like tall silver candle sticks 3 on table. If a window. Cream satin full panels on each end.
June 28, 2013 at 12:12pm   
The top two chandeliers by Beyond Frames are nice.
June 28, 2013 at 12:15pm   
need help with interior design for my dining room
I need help for my dining room. My dining room is...
Interior stone veneer - dining room
Can you please provide us with the stone veneer material...
Living+dining room interior
Dear Friends, appreciate if you could share some interior...
Help me w/ the interior design of this dining room!
This is the existing dining room of the home we have...
Which color scheme?
Which color scheme and accessories do you like best...
Quick help
How can I fix this eye sore corner of our yard by tomorrow?...
Help me finish this room
We love our new living room / dining room. We have...
need window treatment advice
I have just moved into a new home and the living room...
Is it possible to get a four piece bathroom in this space?
Hi, at the moment we have a situation where we want...