Need help with kitchen design ideas
kathie2219
We desperately need a new kitchen. The existing is dated and not enough space. I want to have the French style kitchen but simple not too country, not too ornate. Not sure about size oven and where to locate it. I want to move the pantry and need a double sink as well as extra storage space. Appreciate any ideas. I want to have a neutral palate, like French grey with white ceasor stone bench top. And we are on a tight budget. The kitchen is northfacing with lots of natural light. I heard that ceaser stone turns yellow is it is exposed to too much light. is this true? The room is about 5.5m length x 4m wide. I would like to keep the eat in table and chairs. Appreciate your design ideas . Thanks, k
A Design Alliance , Inc.
Great space , but from what I can see there is no focal in the room . New appliances ? A professional grade stove centered on the wall with an impressive hood could serve this purpose . A birdseye view of the room with the dimensions would definitely help to evaluate the best layout
May 22, 2013 at 12:12AM     
Lisa Carlisle
I love your kitchen and it looks nice and roomy in the photos!

I think there is way too much clutter. Clear the counters. Put everything away. Reduce everything on the shelves down to minimal decor that looks like a model home. And the pendant light dominates with it's height and is bringing out the clutter. Please replace it with recessed lights on dimmer. Move the clock to a lower space that looks artful and doesn't glare over the room occupants saying recess is over.

Install under cabinet lighting. In your case a MUST. Put a big interesting shiny tray or bowl at the table. If there is a center leaf at the table take it out. Add one beautiful plant at the counter beneath the solarium that will flourish.

But seriously, clear the space and that is most the battle ; hope this helps!
May 22, 2013 at 1:55AM     
carolins
Hi,
Yep, a floorplan with dimensions, openings and windows (with height from the floor) would be helpful for the (kitchen)designers I think. I'm not one of them :-)
But I did find some interesting ideabooks for you that may help you get a clearer vision of what you can do with your space (follow the links under the pictures)

Ideabook: 3 Steps to Choosing Kitchen Finishes Wisely
Ideabook: How to Set Up a Kitchen Work Triangle

Ikea has a useful tool on their website that you can design a kitchen with, so you can get a better idea about the layout. If you're not going for an Ikea kitchen, cabinet sizes can differ somewhat, but it could give you a rough idea of what your possibilities are.

Good luck.
May 22, 2013 at 3:33AM     
kathie2219
Thanks for the great ideas. Agree clutter has to go (and will Ethernet the new kitchen design). I am going to have an appliance cabinet to put all away and clear the area. I love the sites recommended. Great find thanks for that. Should I got for white ceasor stone or cream bench tops if my cupboards are French grey/green??
May 26, 2013 at 3:08AM   
shortped
What is the brick enclosed place supposed to be? Also, start with your work triangle.
May 26, 2013 at 3:34AM   
Can I have you kitchen when you're done with it? I think it's great.
May 26, 2013 at 3:56AM   
carolins
Both white or cream will look great. If you have chosen you options, cabinet colours, counter tops, backsplash... you can always post photos if you're not sure. No guarantees that having 50 second opinions will help you make up your mind though ;-)
May 26, 2013 at 4:20AM   
tcufrog
You need more built-in cabinetry with taller upper cabinets to contain the clutter. I don't often say this but a built-in desk would be a good idea. Would you be willing to go with a bar height table with stone top? That way you can use it as a large work surface. I'm thinking something like this http://zeointerior.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/Floor-To-Ceiling-Cabinetry-Country-Kitchen.jpg which is a hybrid of a kitchen table and island. I also think this is an interesting solution: http://www.fslide.com/wp-content/uploads/new-custom-pretty-wooden-kitchen-island-design-615x459.jpg. I would add stools with backs and design it for a French country look but you get the idea. Something like this
would also work.
May 26, 2013 at 6:33AM     
JWinteriors
You are on a budget...helpful solutions without a complete demo. Purchase a built in microwave, install over stove. Have cabinet doors made for the open shelving. Add above cabinets and base cabinets to complete your layout. Have everything sprayed off white, then glazed for that French Country flavor. Add lighting around the room..under cabinet, pendants, cans. I would go with an island using a darker stain base and piece of white marble or granite for the top. Change out your window treatments to white plantation shutters. Your cabinet hardware would be oiled bronze.
May 26, 2013 at 7:00AM     
Bravehart Building
It appears you do not have enough counter space.
Can the table go into another space and add an island for more prep area?
Or, is there an adjoining room which does not require a beam to remove wall (not a load bearing wall).
If budget is tight, do not focus on having the most expensive cabinetry, but look at the space you can utilize first.

Many of our clients have tight budgets but want premium cabinets.
I like to say that it is the space that counts!

Removing a closet to make room for an island or an extended counter run (by even 2') can make a big difference!
May 26, 2013 at 7:17AM     
kathie2219
Thanks everyone I am really grateful for your ideas. We did think of removing the pantry and running the bench across to give us more bench space in the corner and then making that as the appliance cupboard in the corner to the right of the sink. Also if u put the microwave on top of the stove where will the exhaust fan go? I will be getting new stove. Should I get 900cm or the usual 600cm? Stove. We use the eat in table daily and it is really handy so prefer to keep it but may whitewash it instead. I like the idea of painting the shutters white and removing pendant lights. The old fireplace is where the old stove was. The house is 100 years old. But turning it into a desk nook sounds great.
May 26, 2013 at 3:32PM   
carolins
If you love to cook, go for a wider stove. You'll be happy with it. And not think 'if only I had gotten the wider stove' later. This is your chance to go for things like that.
May 27, 2013 at 6:57AM   
need help on two kitchen design ideas
I purchased used kitchen cabinets the whole thing will...
Need help with over the stove microwave ideas!! Kitchen design
Hi, my wife and I are trying to give the kitchen a...
Need help; Design ideas for an area just off main kitchen
Help, I'm doing a kitchen remodel of a 1980's era condo....
How can I darken my grout?
My backsplash has been installed but I don't like the...
Need help with wood floor - dark or light?
Hello. Hoping you can help. We're building a house...
How should I upholster dining chairs
We have an open plan kitchen dining area with two antique...
What shall I do with my backyard?
Dear Houzzers, I really appreciate your valuable...