HUGE couch, small space, no style whatsoever
morgy7
I have a HUGE 8ft couch that I want to get rid of and replace with something better, more appropriate for my tiny living room in my rental property. I need help choosing a couch whether it be a 3 seater and 2 one seaters or a modular/chaise/corner lounge. I want to warm this room up with a rug and other pieces and you're help with this regarding colour to make this room look bigger and more warm/inviting would be great! :)
Lisa Quinlan Design
The couch might feel even bigger because of where it is. Is it possible to put it on the AC wall? Also, if you ground it with an area rug, I think it will feel more like it's supposed to be there and something with color on the wall to tied it in. It's ok if it blocks a little of the small side window. Looks like you might be living in a warm location- sisal would be great for that- not great for wrestling but feels good on the feet.
May 22, 2013 at 1:55am     
Lisa Quinlan Design
an ottoman will help part of the couch function as a chaise and you could put one more chair or move the bean back to the slider wall. so one person can lay out and an one can sit. etc. You will need at least a 5 X 7. it needs to be the color platform for the sofa, then it won't feel so lonely. this one is from over stock.
May 22, 2013 at 1:58am   
rinqreation
"When living small, think large." That's what I've learned in my interior design class. So a 3 seater is fine in a small living, but the one you've got is too pompous. A lighter built one would be a better choice, look for midcentury designs.

If you do want some smaller seating, try a loveseat against the ac-wall and a free standing lounge chair.

IKEA STOCKHOLM 3 1/2 seat sofa
Rowe Duncan Sofa - Teal
Darrin 89-Inch Leather Sofa
TrueModern Luna Sofa
May 22, 2013 at 2:09am   
outletsart
You can make your home more Artistic.I hope this can help you to make your home more beautiful. Weclome to my site: Outletarts .com
May 22, 2013 at 2:20am   
morgy7
I've just moved the couch around, it did use to be here but my partner complained all the time because he couldn't watch tv properly, ha. It's just a really big lounge. Is sisal a rough texture? as I have a small baby. Would you suggest a colourful rug then to warm the room up? I had been looking online at black/grey rugs.. no shag pile please! :)
May 22, 2013 at 2:20am   
morgy7
oh wow those @rinqreation those couches are gorgeous, I actually have just been looking at this one from freedom however it doesn't offer much seating for guests etc.. :-/
May 22, 2013 at 2:24am   
Diann
Definitely needs some fab. art behind sofa with lots of color. Will help take the eye away from the AC Something whimsical !
May 22, 2013 at 2:24am   
rinqreation
Good quality folding chairs are an investment for life, LOL.
May 22, 2013 at 3:10am   
rinqreation
Are you allowed to paint the walls?
May 22, 2013 at 3:11am   
May 22, 2013 at 3:16am     
morgy7
lol too true, currently they sit on bar stools in the kitchen. no we're not allowed to unfortunately :( do you think a corner modular lounge would suit this space?
May 22, 2013 at 3:16am   
morgy7
in love with the moroccan style rug! i wonder where in aus i can locate something similar!
May 22, 2013 at 3:18am   
roslynfarrar
You can buy Moroccan style rugs on overstock.com they deliver very cheaply and quickly to Australia ( just bought a nice one the other day from there) also, pottery barn just opened in Sydney and they ship Australia wide, good prices and patterns
May 22, 2013 at 3:34am   
rinqreation
Yes, a corner sofa would fit in. Again, find one with slim cushions and legs, nice and tight.
May 22, 2013 at 4:01am   
morgy7
Thank you for all your help I ended up buying a new couch - see pics. Am slowly putting the room together and need to get some art work ASAP!
May 26, 2013 at 3:32am   
shortped
The rug needs color to offset neutral walls and floor.
May 26, 2013 at 4:10am     
signarture
we might be a bit late with the artwork ideas, but these moroccan inspired canvases would pick up your theme and accent colours well and there are lots of sizes to choose from: http://www.signarture.com.au/#/gallery/vintage/marrakech-99-p-canvas-art-print/ http://www.signarture.com.au/#/gallery/vintage/casablanca-56-p-canvas-art-print/
June 8, 2013 at 8:47pm   
Let's play with my living room...
Hello,any suggestions for my living , choice of colour,all...
Need paint color advice: black ceilings?
My wife and I are buying a foreclosure and having it...
We cannot find a rug to save our lives.
I even switched up the sofa and added new pillow, curtains....
design ideas for a very small house
I have recently bought a tiny house, that is in need...