Room layout and decor - help me get closer to my "style"
Karen K
We recently moved into our first home and are having trouble with our room layout. This is our living room and is the first room when you enter through the front door. It leads into the dining room, and there is an enclosed patio to the side that is serving as a playroom/sewing room.

We have this enormous dark brown sectional that is practical but doesn't really fit in the small. Our previous living room was much larger and open. We are attempting to fit the sectional, a console table my husband built, and a piano in this room. A coffee table/ottoman would be nice to have. We tried the sectional going across the bay window but it really sucked all the light out of the room.

We could remove the armless portion of the sectional and just have the wide brown sofa, and add an armchair. We could possibly move the piano to the small family room although it will dominate the space.

I'm attaching some photos of our kitchen. We just finished working on it and love it. It fits my style perfectly, and I'm wondering how to carry that into the living room as well. Any ideas on how to make that happen with the giant couch?

This room will be used for lounging and having friends over. We'd like it to be grown-up but not fussy.
Karen K
More pics. Another thing I have been dreaming about is adding a row of bookshelves instead of the couch and just having two reading chairs... but that won't be ideal for company.
May 22, 2013 at 10:27AM   
That sofa just sucks the life out of that room. I think a small sofa and 2 club chairs would work much better. I would take out the long sofa table as well. Put in a glass accent table to keep the room open. Fabric choices in blues and yellows.
May 22, 2013 at 10:34AM   
carolins
That is a gorgeous console table.

Right, so... furniture layout... What if... you put the console table in the dining area, on the right wall when you look from the seating to the dining area. Either thát... or put the piano on that wall in the dining area, but you'll need to get a narrower dining table then. I think you now have a square one? You'd need to get a rectangular one or perhaps a round one (that you can extend) could work to. You'd have to measure.

If you put the piano in the dining room, you have more space for your sectional. You could pull it towards the french doors and put the console table where the piano is.
Or you could turn the sectional around, so that it creates a corridor from the front door.
Or you could leave the sofa against the wall and put the other section opposite it, again creating a corridor.
May 22, 2013 at 10:40AM   
Your piano is sitting in a draft from the door, so maybe the family room will provide an interior, draft-free spot for it. Try an upholstered backless piece in the bay window and a glass coffee table to open the space visually. Float 2-4 small scale armchairs and add bookcases on the wall as a focal point, so the room serves as a reading area and has enough seating for entertaining. You can arrange the chairs with two facing the window and two with backs to the stairwell, or you can circle them around the coffee table.
Portfolio 1
Lake House
Traditional Family Room
May 22, 2013 at 10:49AM   
Karen K
Thanks for the ideas! I would love to get a smaller couch and a couple of chairs, or add a window bench seat and some bookshelves/armchairs. I will have to look around and see what we can afford.
May 22, 2013 at 5:54PM   
Karen K
@carolins, I'm going to measure the piano and see where else it might fit. The dining room table is currently a rectangle with the leaf but can become a square. It is quite big and there are only four of us eating typically, so narrower wouldn't be bad.
May 22, 2013 at 5:56PM   
Connie
If the budget is tight, see how you go just moving it around. I would reverse the couch, having it under the window, (you mentioned you might like a window seat) to really open up the room-currently its the the first thing that jumps in your face. Try having it with a right hand return, so one side forms a little divider/corridor between front door and rest of the room-if it fits, it frees up that huge wall, where you could then put the piano and some shelves? And that wall that is directly opposite the front door, would also perhaps suit a narrow shelving unit.
May 29, 2013 at 7:02PM   
Help me decorate my new living room! Color schemes? Styles?
I am moving into a new place in two weeks and want...
Help!! How can I style my room? Ideas? Decor? Diys? Organization?
I'm 19 years old ill be 20 later on this year. I live...
Help!! How can I style my room? Themes? Ideas? Decor? Diys?
My room has purple and lilac stripes. Kind of like...
Help me to label my decorating style?
Looking define my decorating style. Carpet from Izmir,...
Insulation on an Earth Home (underground)
I was the other day having a bit of a debate with my...
Window treatments for two story room
My living room is at two story "open to above" ceiling...
Need help to choose wall tiles and floor tiles! Help please
I have a white shaker kitchen with black and little...
Need help with my living room!!!
I'm not comfortable with my living room layout. I keep...