Help! Guest bedroom mirror?
Shannon
Hello all! The guest bedroom is still a work in progress. I am planning on ordering a fabric nailhead headboard, and trying to phase out the brown. (Oh- and I know the curtains don't match). I really like this distressed wood mirror that I bought last week, and would like to use it instead of the cheap brown one. Does it work in here? Any, and all suggestions on this room are welcome- such as color headboard, curtains etc etc. Thanks so much- you all are awesome!
elklaker
The mirror is fabulous (as is your bedding)! Just about any wall color would work. I see a light turquoise (not sure why but, it was my first inclination). However, the existing is nice if you add color with curtains/accessories, etc. A larger night stand and interesting lamp would help. Nice, cozy room.
3 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 3:54PM
Genevieve
Not above the bed place it at eye view ,when you get the head board you can dcide on how much space you have,some head boards don't need anything above them .I like the darker one it picks up the wood of the bed.or the skirt :)

I was just thinking about turquoise for colour
About the head board ...if you are able to make one yourself it will cost you a fraction of the price ,all you need is someone cutting a board of the size required and you do the rest
Dove Grey Draper Upholstered Headboard
Tidewater SW 6477 Paint
More This

Couture Dreams Linen Gauze Slate Grey Window Panel
   May 22, 2013 at 3:56PM
Shannon
Thanks so much for your thoughts! I love the new mirror too. I hadn't thought about changing the room color, but like the thought of a light turquoise. The room is currently a khaki color. If I kept the room the same color, what color curtains and fabric headboard do u think would look good? Thanks again, really appreciate your help.
   May 22, 2013 at 4:00PM
tennisanyone
Get your headboard first then hang the mirror elsewhere. It doesn't reflect anything and is small. Get your nightstands and two lamps and the space will be balanced and you will find you don't need the mirror anyway. I hate anything hanging above my head when I sleep. I agree with elklaker, I see a turquoise in this room.
1 Like   May 22, 2013 at 4:03PM
Marian Jones
Love the mirror! It seems like it needs some variation whether you paint the walls turquoise as mentioned or keep the walls and add pops of color in the draperies, pillows, and accessories. Or if you want to keep a neutral scheme, maybe bring depth with some interesting textures in your accessories/lamps/ a throw blanket using darker and lighter shades of the tans and creams. The darker shade of the mirror's frame is perfect! Just my $0.02. Isn't it funny how we can see what we'd do in someone else's room but it is so hard to know when looking at our own??
1 Like   May 22, 2013 at 6:27PM
I agree with Genevieve that the location for your beautiful mirror might best be at a lower height. I'd place it over a nightstand, reflecting the light of a slim lamp.
3 Likes   May 22, 2013 at 7:03PM
Shannon
Thanks Marian, my original thought was to use neutrals throughout. Thanks for helping me to put that into words! Although I think turquoise would look awesome, and maybe one day I will be able to convince my neutral self to give it a try.

So, I guess if I go w/ neutrals, then I don't need pops of color? I guess the best strategy on selecting curtains and a headboard, is to select colors that are in the same family as the colors in the bedspread? Maybe for example- a darker shade of beige for the headboard, and creme color draperies? I hope I am getting this right. Thanks again, everyone's thoughts have been so greatly appreciated. PS- I do plan to move the mirror too (thanks everyone!).
   May 22, 2013 at 9:44PM
ladylavender583
no it's too high and too small for over the bed
1 Like   May 22, 2013 at 10:04PM
I agree with Carolyn's advice - the mirror is better suited lower and over a nightstand. Proportionally it cannot hold its own above the bed.
1 Like   May 22, 2013 at 10:07PM
britneylindsey
I'm in love with that mirror---- and your bedding!!!! Love that pattern.
I def. prefer the new mirror to the older one. And I think it's kind did hard to tell what it will look like without the headboard, but it would be interesting to see how it looks over the nightstand. Maybe post a pic for us?

Maybe ask where you got your bedding???
   May 22, 2013 at 10:13PM
Shannon
I am going to work on this room and will def post some pics!!
I got the bedding at Macy's, it's by Barbara Barry. Got it about 6+ months ago.
1 Like   May 22, 2013 at 10:26PM
britneylindsey
I can't wait to see the pics!!
   May 22, 2013 at 10:48PM
Marian Jones
I think the shade variations would work as long as you incorporate interesting textures to make the room pop since you don't have colors to do that. I've attached a pic of a neutral color scheme room I found on Pinterest I think was done well. There is some color but it's all very muted and the heavy wood table, the fur and cable knit throws and shiny candlesticks and frame all add an element of texture that adds interest. Can't wait to see some pics!!
   May 30, 2013 at 7:57PM
amafixer
Check out Joss and Main for a headboard. They have some great sales.
   May 30, 2013 at 8:03PM
Keitha
This is a look that could work for your room?
   May 30, 2013 at 8:06PM
patfelicia
Love the bed colors and pattern, the mirror is too small for,that area, and larger side tables would give balance. Curtains should be white, perhaps a black band around the bottom.
   May 30, 2013 at 8:20PM
marciajoseph
Add two or three mirrors instead of one.loose the two side tables,they are two small..Add a love bench at the bottom of the bed.Add back one modern side table,no trim ,plain,with a shelf for book etc
   May 30, 2013 at 9:30PM
Shannon
Thanks so much for the awesome ideas!! I'm going to try several of your ideas, and will post pictures as I make some progress!! Thanks again for the help!!!!
   May 30, 2013 at 9:52PM
Need help designing 2nd bedroom as office and guest room
Have a second bedroom with great views. Want to use...
Help guest bedroom & bath
Just purchasing a home and need help with guest room...
Help with guest bedroom and half bath makeover
We have a narrow but good size guest bedroom and half...
Help with guest bedroom and half bath
Guest Bedroom Help!
I have a quick question for any design professionals...
need help with a small laundry space
I need help redesigning a small laundry area that is...
Need Help with Kitchen Design
We are remodeling the kitchen & adjacent living room(eventually...
Every house deserves a name
Does your house have one? Would you like it to? Please...
Need new window treatments for odd shaped front window. Suggestions?
I have an odd shaped front window with beautiful wood...